Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

classicjets
Topic Author

Forum Numbering Question

Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:20 am

Sorry this is just a useless and silly question, but I am curious to know about the forum numbering. In the URL, each forum is defined by a number:

f=3 Civil Aviation
f=4 Travel Polls & Preferences
f=5 Technical/Operations
f=6 Aviation Hobby
f=7 Aviation Photography
f=8 Photography Feedback
f=9 Trip Reports
f=10 Military Aviation & Space Flight
f=11 Non-Aviation
f=12 Site Related

So naturally I must ask where are forums 1 and 2? Did they ever exist? Why do we start at 3? :blockhead:

SQ22

Re: Forum Numbering Question

Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:08 pm

I am afraid we as moderators can't give you an answer to that because we don't know and I am not expecting anyone else replying to you. I am sorry.

atcsundevil

Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:24 am

classicjets wrote:
Sorry this is just a useless and silly question, but I am curious to know about the forum numbering. In the URL, each forum is defined by a number:

f=3 Civil Aviation
f=4 Travel Polls & Preferences
f=5 Technical/Operations
f=6 Aviation Hobby
f=7 Aviation Photography
f=8 Photography Feedback
f=9 Trip Reports
f=10 Military Aviation & Space Flight
f=11 Non-Aviation
f=12 Site Related

So naturally I must ask where are forums 1 and 2? Did they ever exist? Why do we start at 3? :blockhead:

Presumably it's just how it was coded. This current website platform has had the same forums since it was created nearly six years ago. There was no code carried-over from the original site, as it's an entirely new platform. I've been on a.net for about a dozen years and a reader for roughly a five or six years prior to that, and I don't recall there being any other forums.

Moose135

Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:43 am

I think number 2 is reserved for when they start the Helicopter forum...
:lol:

atcsundevil

Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:59 am

Moose135 wrote:
I think number 2 is reserved for when they start the Helicopter forum...
:lol:

Couldn't help yourself, could you?
:banghead:

petertenthije

Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:06 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
I've been on a.net for about a dozen years and a reader for roughly a five or six years prior to that, and I don't recall there being any other forums.
Wasn't there a seperate forum dedicated for the paying members, back when that was still a thing?

atcsundevil

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:14 pm

petertenthije wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
I've been on a.net for about a dozen years and a reader for roughly a five or six years prior to that, and I don't recall there being any other forums.
Wasn't there a seperate forum dedicated for the paying members, back when that was still a thing?

There might have been. I seem to recall that maybe there was a first class section for people who paid annual memberships instead of just the one time fee? It's been so long that I can't remember anymore.

Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:27 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

There might have been. I seem to recall that maybe there was a first class section for people who paid annual memberships instead of just the one time fee? It's been so long that I can't remember anymore.

no adverts IIRC and access to other parts of the forum like non aviation.

If you didn’t pay I think you were limited to the photography section. Others you could view but not post IIRC.

JBo

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:56 pm

I would guess that forms 1 and 2 were used for testing and development when they migrated the forum over to this new platform. There might also be a forum dedicated to the web dev staff that isn't visible to the rest of us which, I assume, is largely a ghost town these days.

c933103

Tue May 10, 2022 4:15 pm

Some off the shelf forum software have some default boards like "Announcement" and "General". If data from old forum were simply imported into the current platform, before deleting those default boards, then those default boards could have used number 1 and 2.

classicjets
Topic Author

Thu May 26, 2022 9:12 am

Thanks for the varied answers to an unimportant question. The forum has come a long way from its inception. I read some old trip reports lately and some posters were complaining they only got 3 "stars" for their topic, so I guess there was even a rating system way back when.