Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Eugenewats
Topic Author

Posting Russian Military Photos on the front page of the site

Thu May 12, 2022 4:19 am

Do you really think that is a good idea?

atcsundevil

Re: Posting Russian Military Photos on the front page of the site

Thu May 12, 2022 1:19 pm

Eugenewats wrote:

In what sense are you asking if it's a good idea?

Sat May 14, 2022 9:16 am

I had wondered if someone was going to ask if it is acceptable for those to be there. I assume that’s what the OP meant but didn’t want to say directly.

atcsundevil wrote:
Eugenewats wrote:

I think you can read between the lines and you know what the OP is referencing, it’s the almighty elephant in the room. It’s a question that was going to be asked sooner or later (maybe was already done so).

atcsundevil

Sun May 15, 2022 11:26 am

cpd wrote:
I had wondered if someone was going to ask if it is acceptable for those to be there. I assume that’s what the OP meant but didn’t want to say directly.

atcsundevil wrote:
Eugenewats wrote:

I think you can read between the lines and you know what the OP is referencing, it’s the almighty elephant in the room. It’s a question that was going to be asked sooner or later (maybe was already done so).

The question I was asking was if it was a bad idea optics wise for the site or a bad idea for the photographers given the strict new laws which exist in Russia with regards to the military. I was just curious what the OP was referring to regardless of reading between lines. It's probably not a good idea in either sense, but in any case, it's not like there's anything I can do about it. There have always been a lot of images of Russian military aircraft uploaded here, so it's unsurprising that hasn't changed.

TVNWZ

Sun May 15, 2022 11:22 pm

War planes have been here forever. Why would you censor just because those planes are now doing the job they were created for?

Mon May 16, 2022 12:43 am

I agree it would be messy if you did.

Mon May 30, 2022 1:52 pm

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia- ... VP/6866657

Just one example, Photographers Choice. Yeah, cool, russian war machine live on A.NET title page. I am against that.

foxtail

Mon May 30, 2022 9:45 pm

The Russian war machine absolutely does not care what they write about it on forums on the Internet. Regardless of the different emotions when viewing the photo, military aircrafts will do their job.
One day this war will end, but the politicization and revision of the rules of the game on the site will not add points to it... I think the site administration is smart enough not to follow momentary moods.

This is just my opinion, but I could be wrong. )

SkyVoice

Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:59 am

Many A*Net subscribers, myself included, log onto websites such as russianplanes.net, ruaviation.com, Aviation Explorer (aex.ru), airforce.ru, aviaforum.ru, and many other similar websites to see pics, videos, and comments about Russian military and commercial aircraft, but that does not mean that anyone who does that automatically sides with Russia during Putin's invasion of Ukraine. In my case, FAR from it! I have always been fascinated by Russian and Soviet aviation, the aircraft developed by companies such as Antonov, Beriev, Ilyushin, Kamov, MiG, Mil, Sukhoi, Tupolev, Yakovlev, and others. And, I believe that it is wise to study the ways if one's adversaries.

As far as I know, the only restriction that the Russian high command has placed on these websites is to prohibit the posting of the present locations of their military units. But, spy satellites and other means of Western intelligence are taking care of that!

atcsundevil

Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:28 am

SkyVoice wrote:
Many A*Net subscribers, myself included, log onto websites such as russianplanes.net, ruaviation.com, Aviation Explorer (aex.ru), airforce.ru, aviaforum.ru, and many other similar websites to see pics, videos, and comments about Russian military and commercial aircraft, but that does not mean that anyone who does that automatically sides with Russia during Putin's invasion of Ukraine. In my case, FAR from it! I have always been fascinated by Russian and Soviet aviation, the aircraft developed by companies such as Antonov, Beriev, Ilyushin, Kamov, MiG, Mil, Sukhoi, Tupolev, Yakovlev, and others. And, I believe that it is wise to study the ways if one's adversaries.

As far as I know, the only restriction that the Russian high command has placed on these websites is to prohibit the posting of the present locations of their military units. But, spy satellites and other means of Western intelligence are taking care of that!

This is an excellent point. Enthusiasts come from all walks of life. Ultimately, we're all here (ostensibly) to talk about airplanes, and there's nothing wrong with being fascinated by Soviet and Russian aircraft. Their aviation history is unique and rich, but having those interests doesn't mean someone endorses a political ideology. People need to be weary of hating people or things by casual association.