Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Derico
Topic Author

Is there a list of all forum moderators?

Thu May 26, 2022 11:34 pm

I would be interested to see if there is a complete list of all moderators at the forums. Actually, I am not actually even interested in the individual members per say, but in their nationalities. While doing moderation at online forums is an extremely nice and rarely appreciated contribution by the volunteers involved, it does not change my assertion that this website has ALWAYS been forlornly moderated. This is almost exclusively due to an inexcusable cultural bias which completely validates Western European/ North American viewpoints on what is proper commentary and what it out-of-bounds. In particular what is tolerable criticism about certain countries or peoples is not tolerated about other countries, with the "protected" countries almost universally from the Western sphere. It would appear the moderators all come from that region and therefore are clouded by their biases on what is reasonable and what is offensive. Non-western nations clearly "enjoy" a much higher threshold of abusive language until a comment is deemed over the fence; a similar comment gets a member banned when the target is an EU, North American state. But perhaps I am wrong and the moderators are far more diverse than it would appear. Thus the reason for my request.

johns624

Re: Is there a list of all forum moderators?

Thu May 26, 2022 11:46 pm

What are you talking about? The US is probably the biggest whipping boy here. Anything to do with guns or our military is fair game.

Derico
Topic Author

Fri May 27, 2022 12:11 am

johns624 wrote:
What are you talking about? The US is probably the biggest whipping boy here. Anything to do with guns or our military is fair game.

I'll give you a very clear recent example: Russia.

Russia, that is, not the government, but rather the people and culture, have been absolutely ravaged at A.net forums. I've read it all: Russia should be erased from the map, Russian culture must be annihilated, Russians should be deported from all nations around the world, Russian territory should be salted over, Russia should be nuked and "started over again"... literally I HAVE READ THIS, and no one can tell me I am fabricating those paraphrases. Do you honestly believe such comments if directed at an EU or North American nation would be allowed to stand?

Further, there is no excuse as not enough time had passed for Mods to delete them, when I read them. The posts in which such comments were made had been submitted some cases many hours even days before, and I could respond to several of them, basically telling people "not to get carried away". So they were allowed to stand by the choice of those with the power to nix or next.

It should go without saying that by no means I excuse the atrocity of the War in Ukraine by the RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT, but that does not excuse the language and tone of speech that has been permitted. Meanwhile, I question if a certain country's failings in tacking problems is due to incompetence or a societal sickness, and that is considered good enough for deletion. Nuking and salting another country? Nah that's fine.

The disparity is much too obvious and even a Martian could catch sight of it.

johns624

Fri May 27, 2022 12:34 am

I've been reading the Ukraine threads and I must have missed all those comments. That being said, a government is a reflection of its people, both good and bad. I was in the hospital for a biopsy the other day and my nurse was an immigrant from Romania. She said, "why can't the Russians do to Putin what we did to Ceausescu"? Why, indeed? Maybe they agree with what he's doing.

atcsundevil

Fri May 27, 2022 4:10 am

https://www.airliners.net/about-us/

I'm not going to respond to your complaints, because frankly they're ridiculous. If you see an offensive post, then report it. We all have actual jobs — we volunteer here, and we don't sit around reading threads all day because we don't have the time or enough people for it. If posts stay up that you feel should have been deleted and you didn't report it, then it's just as much your fault as it is ours.

If you want to engage in an actual dialog with us, then we're happy to have an open and genuine discussion, because we volunteer a significant amount of our time to keep this place going. If you're going to come at us with a laundry list of BS accusations and complaints, then you won't find us particularly receptive. I'm not interested in wasting my time on people who clearly fail to recognize that there are human beings on the other end of their keyboard rants.

johns624

Fri May 27, 2022 11:10 pm

What's with the "Dr Real Name" names and some that I recognize the avatar but a different name, like Knut/SQ22?

atcsundevil

Sat May 28, 2022 1:39 am

johns624 wrote:
What's with the "Dr Real Name" names and some that I recognize the avatar but a different name, like Knut/SQ22?

I believe it's a developer alias. A while back we added a few new moderators, but they had a tough time getting the permissions added for their accounts. I think that might have been some kind of workaround. It's partly why all of the forums list only a few moderators at the top...they aren't the only mods, it was just their way of fixing whatever issue was going on.

SQ22

Sat May 28, 2022 4:27 am

atcsundevil wrote:
I believe it's a developer alias. A while back we added a few new moderators, but they had a tough time getting the permissions added for their accounts. I think that might have been some kind of workaround. It's partly why all of the forums list only a few moderators at the top...they aren't the only mods, it was just their way of fixing whatever issue was going on.

Yes, thats my understanding as well, this was the only solution at that time to get their aacounts up and running.

ChrisKen

Sat May 28, 2022 10:38 am

leader1

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:47 pm

Derico wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Russia, that is, not the government, but rather the people and culture, have been absolutely ravaged at A.net forums. I've read it all: Russia should be erased from the map, Russian culture must be annihilated, Russians should be deported from all nations around the world, Russian territory should be salted over, Russia should be nuked and "started over again"... literally I HAVE READ THIS, and no one can tell me I am fabricating those paraphrases. Do you honestly believe such comments if directed at an EU or North American nation would be allowed to stand?

Further, there is no excuse as not enough time had passed for Mods to delete them, when I read them. The posts in which such comments were made had been submitted some cases many hours even days before, and I could respond to several of them, basically telling people "not to get carried away". So they were allowed to stand by the choice of those with the power to nix or next.

It should go without saying that by no means I excuse the atrocity of the War in Ukraine by the RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT, but that does not excuse the language and tone of speech that has been permitted. Meanwhile, I question if a certain country's failings in tacking problems is due to incompetence or a societal sickness, and that is considered good enough for deletion. Nuking and salting another country? Nah that's fine.

This is laughable. I've been a member of this form off and on since the beginning and you have been one of the more consistent anti-American posters on here throughout this time. If you're so offended that the majority of members of this site seem to be calling out the actions of a specific country and the comments don't fit your viewpoint, then you're participating in the wrong forum and perhaps you should frequent VK or WeChat or Weibo. You might find participants more amenable to you over there. Honestly, I haven't seen anything as vicious as you claim. posted.

If anything, I think the moderation has vastly improved over the years. It was absolute trash when Johan owned this site (Hepkat, anyone?). They're more responsive to complaints than they were before and actually adhere to the rules when it comes to deleting comments.

Derico
Topic Author

Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:04 pm

atcsundevil wrote:

I'm not going to respond to your complaints, because frankly they're ridiculous. If you see an offensive post, then report it. We all have actual jobs — we volunteer here, and we don't sit around reading threads all day because we don't have the time or enough people for it. If posts stay up that you feel should have been deleted and you didn't report it, then it's just as much your fault as it is ours.

If you want to engage in an actual dialog with us, then we're happy to have an open and genuine discussion, because we volunteer a significant amount of our time to keep this place going. If you're going to come at us with a laundry list of BS accusations and complaints, then you won't find us particularly receptive. I'm not interested in wasting my time on people who clearly fail to recognize that there are human beings on the other end of their keyboard rants.

Yeah i know you volunteer, but you guys are clearly biased and it's not a personal accusation, it is general, and volunteer or not (I don't deny your service), at the end of the day it's biased volunteering and thus poor volunteering, because you just happen to magically see the stuff that offends your cultural realm. Here is a clear example from the QAtar beer at the world cup thread:

People stupid enough to travel to this cup and thus showing their support for a fundamentalist, totalitarian, misogynist and racist dictatorship which isn’t just one of the worst offenders regarding human rights(modern slavery) but also is the NUMBER ONE most polluting country per capita of the world, deserve all the pain they get. Hope they die of thirst while looking for beer;-
)

This message full of arbitrary and nasty accusations from misogyny to slavery to racism, with no facts or links to back then up is at the top of page 2, it is virtually imposible that it has not been seen. It's still there.

Meanwhile, my message asking what would happen if the 2026 world cup in North America were to be scrutinized based on the US and their use of the death penalty, the legality of seal clubbing in Canada, the human rights violations in Mexico with refugees, and other hot issues was summarily axed even though it was buried in the 2nd page. And I'm sure it was deleted exactly because of the unsavory issues it raises. And my post was far milder than the one above. That's some nice eagle vision to spot just the stuff that may offend Europeans or north Americans.

Yet that Qatar message (which encapsulates many others on that thread) remain for the world to see.

I can't launch flaggings on so many posts either.

If you think I am still being ridiculous then you then you probably will not be able to improve moderation bias based on culture here.

Derico
Topic Author

Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:17 pm

leader1 wrote:
Derico wrote:
johns624 wrote:

This is laughable. I've been a member of this form off and on since the beginning and you have been one of the more consistent anti-American posters on here throughout this time. If you're so offended that the majority of members of this site seem to be calling out the actions of a specific country and the comments don't fit your viewpoint, then you're participating in the wrong forum and perhaps you should frequent VK or WeChat or Weibo. You might find participants more amenable to you over there. Honestly, I haven't seen anything as vicious as you claim. posted.

If anything, I think the moderation has vastly improved over the years. It was absolute trash when Johan owned this site (Hepkat, anyone?). They're more responsive to complaints than they were before and actually adhere to the rules when it comes to deleting comments.

I have been vocally against the moderation of this site ever since the massively egregious double standard allowed when a thread bashing Argentina over their safe haven status for various former Nazi officials (unfair in itself) became a free for all to trash everything about that country and allowed to stand.

A counter thread pointing out the immediately obvious, like how the US got to launch rockets to the moon, and the way that source was tapped (hmmm... Giving safe haven to former Nazi officials), was disappeared.

If insulting and degrading one country for the exact same actions of another, but extolling or at the very least shielding the latter, is not the most clear cut example of hypocrisy on moderation and you can't see it, then you will not ever see anything.

leader1

Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:46 pm

Derico wrote:
leader1 wrote:
Derico wrote:

I have been vocally against the moderation of this site ever since the massively egregious double standard allowed when a thread bashing Argentina over their safe haven status for various former Nazi officials (unfair in itself) became a free for all to trash everything about that country and allowed to stand.

A counter thread pointing out the immediately obvious, like how the US got to launch rockets to the moon, and the way that source was tapped (hmmm... Giving safe haven to former Nazi officials), was disappeared.

If insulting and degrading one country for the exact same actions of another, but extolling or at the very least shielding the latter, is not the most clear cut example of hypocrisy on moderation and you can't see it, then you will not ever see anything.

These forums have rules and if posts do not adhere to them, then they get deleted. I notice a lot of whataboutism posts get flagged and deleted because they’re deemed off-topic. Most of your posts are pure whataboutism, so they are off-topic and break the rules. Why complain about getting deleted if your posts aren’t following the rules? Why do you feel you should get a pass? That’s hypocrisy more than anything.

Again, if you feel this site is too harsh on you for breaking the rules, I’m sure VK or Weibo would love the participation of someone with your perspective.

This message full of arbitrary and nasty accusations from misogyny to slavery to racism, with no facts or links to back then up is at the top of page 2, it is virtually imposible that it has not been seen. It's still there.

If you’re so offended, then flag it. Don’t complain about these posts not being deleted if you don’t do anything about it.

atcsundevil

Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:15 pm

Derico wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

Yeah i know you volunteer, but you guys are clearly biased and it's not a personal accusation, it is general, and volunteer or not (I don't deny your service), at the end of the day it's biased volunteering and thus poor volunteering, because you just happen to magically see the stuff that offends your cultural realm. Here is a clear example from the QAtar beer at the world cup thread:

People stupid enough to travel to this cup and thus showing their support for a fundamentalist, totalitarian, misogynist and racist dictatorship which isn’t just one of the worst offenders regarding human rights(modern slavery) but also is the NUMBER ONE most polluting country per capita of the world, deserve all the pain they get. Hope they die of thirst while looking for beer;-
)

Meanwhile, my message asking what would happen if the 2026 world cup in North America were to be scrutinized based on the US and their use of the death penalty, the legality of seal clubbing in Canada, the human rights violations in Mexico with refugees, and other hot issues was summarily axed even though it was buried in the 2nd page. And I'm sure it was deleted exactly because of the unsavory issues it raises. And my post was far milder than the one above. That's some nice eagle vision to spot just the stuff that may offend Europeans or north Americans.

Yet that Qatar message (which encapsulates many others on that thread) remain for the world to see.

I can't launch flaggings on so many posts either.

If you think I am still being ridiculous then you then you probably will not be able to improve moderation bias based on culture here.

Then give suggestions on how to fix it rather than cherry picking examples. You're being ridiculous because you're complaining and being unreasonable without offering any suggestions on what we can do to improve, you're just saying we're biased based on your own biased interpretation. I'm not going to play the "what about this" game with you, because I simply have better things to do with my time. Offer constructive criticism, flag posts, and be useful. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time writing things I'm not going to read. Until you say something useful, I won't be replying further.

leader1 wrote:
If you’re so offended, then flag it. Don’t complain about these posts not being deleted if you don’t do anything about it.

:checkmark:

LabQuest

Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:12 pm

So when will there be more moderators added? Its obviously badly needed. This place is a mess at the moment.

Derico
Topic Author

Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:50 pm

leader1 wrote:
Derico wrote:
leader1 wrote:

These forums have rules and if posts do not adhere to them, then they get deleted. I notice a lot of whataboutism posts get flagged and deleted because they’re deemed off-topic. Most of your posts are pure whataboutism, so they are off-topic and break the rules. Why complain about getting deleted if your posts aren’t following the rules? Why do you feel you should get a pass? That’s hypocrisy more than anything.

Again, if you feel this site is too harsh on you for breaking the rules, I’m sure VK or Weibo would love the participation of someone with your perspective.

You are missing the point actually. I don't care so much about what offends me or whatever, whether it's about Qatar, Argentina, China, the USA or Russia. What I'd like to see is the same standard apply. You talk about whataboutism, but that can also be discarded because I have on occasion opened dedicated threads to topics like the Pope (anti-Francis), or Protestantism (arguing it is the biggest problem branch in Christianity today), or as you have mentioned various threads pointing out EU or US double standards, and they were deleted. Similar counterpart threads about Russia, China, Catholic Church, and non-western cultural practices (eating bats and Asian customs during COVID for example), appear to stick much more.

I don't mind threads ripping any of my positions or shredding any countries I may have affinity for apart (actually I have moved on from defending "countries", I've come to the conclusion that Nationalism, even Patriotism, is a scourge that must be made an exclusively private matter or disappear entirely from the world stage), But just have some semblance of equal application, which has not been the case at all and the dividing line is clear: between western views and alternative worldviews. This forum is based in the West, so the bias has been clear to the former, perhaps understandably, but still arbitrarily.

leader1

Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:14 pm

Derico wrote:
leader1 wrote:
Derico wrote:

You are missing the point actually. I don't care so much about what offends me or whatever, whether it's about Qatar, Argentina, China, the USA or Russia. What I'd like to see is the same standard apply. You talk about whataboutism, but that can also be discarded because I have on occasion opened dedicated threads to topics like the Pope (anti-Francis), or Protestantism (arguing it is the biggest problem branch in Christianity today), or as you have mentioned various threads pointing out EU or US double standards, and they were deleted. Similar counterpart threads about Russia, China, Catholic Church, and non-western cultural practices (eating bats and Asian customs during COVID for example), appear to stick much more.

I don't mind threads ripping any of my positions or shredding any countries I may have affinity for apart (actually I have moved on from defending "countries", I've come to the conclusion that Nationalism, even Patriotism, is a scourge that must be made an exclusively private matter or disappear entirely from the world stage), But just have some semblance of equal application, which has not been the case at all and the dividing line is clear: between western views and alternative worldviews. This forum is based in the West, so the bias has been clear to the former, perhaps understandably, but still arbitrarily.

In other words, you’re advocating that the rules be thrown out the window just so you can apply your argument, which essentially amounts to whataboutism. So, you’re basically saying that the rules shouldn’t apply to you? Is that the point you’re trying to make? Because it sure sounds like it.

And if you start a separate post and it gets deleted, why not ask the moderators to see what happened instead of bitching about it in public?

If you’re upset about “standards not being applied equally”, why don’t you do something about it by making suggestions instead of going on some fishing exhibition to find out who the moderators are and where they come from and moaning about how it isn’t fair to you. You’re just coming across as a whiny sniveler.

Again, if you feel that posts that you deemed offensive aren’t being dealt with, flag them. By the way, I looked at the earlier post you brought up and I noticed that it wasn’t flagged for deletion. When someone flags it and you try flagging it again, it won’t allow you to. So you’ve had all this time to flag the particular post, but you chose not to and just moaned and complained about some “double standard”. Why didn’t YOU do anything about it all this time?

Derico
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:08 pm

leader1 wrote:
Derico wrote:
leader1 wrote:

In other words, you’re advocating that the rules be thrown out the window just so you can apply your argument, which essentially amounts to whataboutism. So, you’re basically saying that the rules shouldn’t apply to you? Is that the point you’re trying to make? Because it sure sounds like it.

And if you start a separate post and it gets deleted, why not ask the moderators to see what happened instead of bitching about it in public?

If you’re upset about “standards not being applied equally”, why don’t you do something about it by making suggestions instead of going on some fishing exhibition to find out who the moderators are and where they come from and moaning about how it isn’t fair to you. You’re just coming across as a whiny sniveler.

Again, if you feel that posts that you deemed offensive aren’t being dealt with, flag them. By the way, I looked at the earlier post you brought up and I noticed that it wasn’t flagged for deletion. When someone flags it and you try flagging it again, it won’t allow you to. So you’ve had all this time to flag the particular post, but you chose not to and just moaned and complained about some “double standard”. Why didn’t YOU do anything about it all this time?

Still don't get it?

Actually, if you analyze what you said, what you are saying is that it is Americans and Europeans who are so delicate and thin-skinned that any little knock on their self-appointed high seat of standards or morals, they can't deal with and flag it. I didn't think it required a flagging for every post to be deleted, particularly in clearly controversial threads, which are easy to spot and thus easy to moderate more closely.

Call me all the names you want, it's about as good as debate gets in the US these days no? I came here after probably a decade of seeing this pattern, and half a dozen or more contacts with the mods. Many times I didn't get a reply back, fine, they have lives too and I wasn't going to hound them. So if I am whiny, at least I beat Europeans and North Americans in patience. You guys are whining within 30 seconds of a post you don't like. Not quite a decade isn't it?

leader1

Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:03 pm

Derico wrote:

Still don't get it? it?

I get it. The crux of this is that you’re upset over a perceived double standard in moderation, which you claim adversely affects posts with “alternative views”. You also think that these types of posts should get somewhat of a pass, even if off-topic, for the sake of “fairness”, forum rules be damned.

Actually, if you analyze what you said, what you are saying is that it is Americans and Europeans who are so delicate and thin-skinned that any little knock on their self-appointed high seat of standards or morals, they can't deal with and flag it. I didn't think it required a flagging for every post to be deleted, particularly in clearly controversial threads, which are easy to spot and thus easy to moderate more closely.

Ummm…who created a thread on this whole topic? It wasn’t an “irritable” European or American. It was you, a supposedly “thick-skinned” Argentinian or whatever you are. Hmmm…but isn’t one of your parents from the West or something? Whatever the case may be, you were the one so offended by the moderation standards or some posts criticizing “alternative viewpoints” going unflagged that you just HAD to start a topic on it to voice your complaints. Sounds a lot more “thin-skinned” than the Western audience you criticize.

Call me all the names you want, it's about as good as debate gets in the US these days no? I came here after probably a decade of seeing this pattern, and half a dozen or more contacts with the mods. Many times I didn't get a reply back, fine, they have lives too and I wasn't going to hound them. So if I am whiny, at least I beat Europeans and North Americans in patience. You guys are whining within 30 seconds of a post you don't like. Not quite a decade isn't it?

Your posts come across as whiny.

And I’m not sure you have the right to complain especially since we all have the same tools to deal with offensive posts and you don’t use them. Back to your previous example, the post you found offensive wasn’t flagged. Why did you not flag it? If it was flagged, it would have been deleted. Would have saved a bunch of trouble and disproved your theory.

And speaking of post deletions, I have had plenty of my own deleted for pointing out self-loathing talkies’ blatant hypocrisy. Criticism they can’t seem to take. Talk about thin-skinned!