Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kent350787
Topic Author

Possible mass shooting thread in non-av

Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:13 am

The mass shootings in the US are an important issue and each new thread generates traffic as well as soldi and less solid discussion.

But the reality is that these shootings occur more than daily, with some more incredibly awful than others. It seems that an, admittedly resignedly, single mass shooting thread such as I’ve seen on other forums may be a way to manage this.

Admittedly, a new thread for each notable mass murder does mean they can be easily closed when discussion gets out of hand.

atcsundevil

Re: Possible mass shooting thread in non-av

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:07 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
The mass shootings in the US are an important issue and each new thread generates traffic as well as soldi and less solid discussion.

But the reality is that these shootings occur more than daily, with some more incredibly awful than others. It seems that an, admittedly resignedly, single mass shooting thread such as I’ve seen on other forums may be a way to manage this.

Admittedly, a new thread for each notable mass murder does mean they can be easily closed when discussion gets out of hand.

We're discussing the idea, but it's understandably a sensitive topic. It can be seen as crude (if not blatantly insensitive) if we were to endorse such a move. It's a good idea in theory, but potentially problematic in practice. We'll have more of a response after we discuss further as a moderating team.

Kent350787
Topic Author

Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:39 pm

Thanks for putting moderation minds to it. I know non-US focussed forums I'm on have them out of something of a sense of frustration.

Take care! Kent

Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:55 am

We have two Ukraine topics, a discussion one and a news topic. Would that model work for USA mass shootings?

That's also a subject where many people have died or been hurt. It's up to the powers that be.

petertenthije

Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:45 pm

I don't personally think this would work.

Going from past experience, the gun threads tend to go be locked within a few days for either going of-topic, or for uncivil behaviour.

A dedicated gun thread would suffer the same fate unless moderated to an insane degree. And I am sure the mods have better things to do.

ACDC8

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:01 pm

I've been on other forums where they have a single shooting/guns thread and it works just fine. When someone starts a new thread about a specific shooting, it just gets merged into the main thread.

Every time you start a new thread about a specific shooting, starting to discuss other shooting is simply part of the discussion, thats just the reality of it. Politics are always going to be part of the discussion, because it is exactly that, a political issue with (in the US for example) Republicans and Democrats are going to have very different views, and yes, it can get into a heated and ugly discussion at times because the topic itself by nature is very heated and ugly.

Specific shootings aren't a topic, gun violence is the topic.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:21 pm

I did actually start such a thread after one of the shootings, and a few threads merged into it. However, I've now noticed that the thread has been locked with no explanation.