Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RR757
Topic Author

Autism and Aviation

Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:19 pm

Hello everyone.

Not surprisingly my shrink recently diagnosed me as having Autism. It was no great surprise.

It got me thinking about the on-line aviation enthusiasts community.

If I post something in my local neighbourhood FB group, such as missing pets, things for sale, well done, the majority of people respond positively.

Back to the aviation community, you’re literally treading on eggshells in cause an Avgeek know-all responds.

My question being; does a huge interest in aviation make you a worse person through dehumanising oneself and only paying attention to technicalities?

Thanks.

Newark727

Re: Autism and Aviation

Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:25 am

RR757 wrote:
Hello everyone.

Not surprisingly my shrink recently diagnosed me as having Autism. It was no great surprise.

It got me thinking about the on-line aviation enthusiasts community.

If I post something in my local neighbourhood FB group, such as missing pets, things for sale, well done, the majority of people respond positively.

Back to the aviation community, you’re literally treading on eggshells in cause an Avgeek know-all responds.

My question being; does a huge interest in aviation make you a worse person through dehumanising oneself and only paying attention to technicalities?

Thanks.

I don't think you're looking at this question in exactly the right way. Plenty of people who don't know any technicalities are just as "dehumanised" and insensitive. People who don't have autism-spectrum disorders are perfectly capable of being prickly and difficult. Follow your passion, learn what you want to learn. You just have to learn presence of mind at the same time. It's not the same part of your brain, but we can walk and chew gum at the same time.

IPFreely

Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:37 am

RR757 wrote:

Message boards like this one attract a lot of anonymous wanna-be "experts" who derive satisfaction from belittling other anonymous people while hiding behind the safety of their keyboard and screen. It has nothing to do with aviation, you can find the same thing on message boards about most subjects. Bottom line: if you have an interest in aviation and want entertainment, this message board is, or at least used to be, good. If you want real information from real experts this is not the place for you -- get offline and seek out real experts.

BWIAirport

Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:38 pm

I think any subject with such incredible level of expertise such as aviation will inevitably contain people who love to show how much smarter they are than everyone else. Go onto a sports forum and misstate a statistic and the same thing will happen.
Because of all the laws, regulations, or intricacies of this subject, it is extremely easy to get something slightly wrong. Generally, I think you'll find people are happy to help correct information, and not everyone is as graceful in doing so as you'd like to be. But as for the few bad apples who see it as a dunking opportunity, they are best left ignored. And I can surely say that's not specific to aviation.

I remember a few years ago I asked a question about a "more efficient takeoff technique" in which the pilots would not lower the flaps until closer to V1 speed so there is less air resistance and they can gain airspeed faster. Immediately, plenty of responders pointed out issues with that idea. Most were very nice about explaining what could go wrong. One person called me an idiot. Whatever. That says more about them than it does about me.

Also worth noting, a lot of us on here (mostly men) like to be a bit sarcastic and humorous in general. It's certainly how I am. While that is easy to convey during speech, sarcasm really translates poorly on text. If I see a message that seems unusually snarky, I'll often try to give the poster the benefit of the doubt and I'll read it as though they're joking around with friends. Helps ease the tension.

Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:13 pm

This forum will always have a lot of actually…. actually…

Pedantry is always common here and if that doesn’t work they reach for the report post button.

It’s just how things are.

I’m not that fussy about things. Often the heated discussions I will read but not reply.