Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Goodbye
Topic Author

Why are the "Large" versions of photos so small?

Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:49 pm

I'm just wondering if it's a site thing, or if the photographers are uploading their "Large" size photos at such a small size?

For example one of the photos on the front page today has the "Large" size set to 1000 x 679 pixels - which in 2022 is absolutely tiny when a lot of people are on 1440p or 4K monitors.

Is there something I'm missing?

dutchspotter1

Re: Why are the "Large" versions of photos so small?

Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:59 pm

Goodbye wrote:
I'm just wondering if it's a site thing, or if the photographers are uploading their "Large" size photos at such a small size?

The latter.

Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:18 pm

This is photographers uploading small size images. Which is annoying but it also prevents the use of the image for other purposes needing a higher resolution image.

Goodbye
Topic Author

Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:26 pm

cpd wrote:
This is photographers uploading small size images. Which is annoying but it also prevents the use of the image for other purposes needing a higher resolution image.

Ah such a pity - it's frustrating to see a great looking thumbnail then clicking it to open the large size, and it's at a super low resolution.

Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:11 pm

Goodbye wrote:
cpd wrote:

Ah such a pity - it's frustrating to see a great looking thumbnail then clicking it to open the large size, and it's at a super low resolution.

It can also be that some people are still in the old ways of uploading smaller images because it was usually easier to get them through screening. It used to be much harder to get 1600px wide images through screening.

There were also acceptance ratios back then that governed how many images you could upload at once, a high acceptance ratio let you upload more images at once.

Try uploading images yourself and you'll see.

USAirKid

Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:00 am

Goodbye wrote:
cpd wrote:

If I were a photographer, I'd do that to try to preserve any income I could make from prints and other copyrighted uses. Its great that we get all these images that we can view for free, and even do things like set them as backgrounds on our computers and Zoom meetings..