Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

radioguy
Topic Author

What has happened to AIRLINERS.net?

Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:03 am

Just checked the landing page. Not ONE photo of an airliner. They're all military, mostly fighters.
I was under the impression that this site is all about AIRLINERS. Seems that's been changing over
the past months. Pity.

Gonzalo

Re: What has happened to AIRLINERS.net?

Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:59 am

Hi, I think you just had “bad luck”, military planes have been on the site since day one. If you take a look on a date close to an airshow you’ll have “display” pictures for two weeks and then back to normal. If you enter the site a couple of weeks after some members goes to SXM, you’ll have tons of Maho beach pictures for a few days and back to normal…It is just a matter of timing. And….you have the filters anyway, you can select to see only airliners if you want…cheers!

crownvic

Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:34 am

Part of the problem is civil aviation is really getting boring. If you consider that 3/4 (or in some cases, 100%) of what you are going to see at and airport is the A320 and 737 family of aircraft, no wonder there are less and less airliners on the Home Page. Consolidation of the airline industry also plays into this. When you consider how many airlines were around 30 years ago vs today, the variety has definitely lessened.

The one engine under each wing "syndrome" is pretty much all you are going to see these days, with a few exceptions (717, CRJ, etc.), so this adds to the boredom.

bravotango75

Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:29 am

crownvic wrote:
Part of the problem is civil aviation is really getting boring. If you consider that 3/4 (or in some cases, 100%) of what you are going to see at and airport is the A320 and 737 family of aircraft, no wonder there are less and less airliners on the Home Page. Consolidation of the airline industry also plays into this. When you consider how many airlines were around 30 years ago vs today, the variety has definitely lessened.

The one engine under each wing "syndrome" is pretty much all you are going to see these days, with a few exceptions (717, CRJ, etc.), so this adds to the boredom.

Completely agree, save for a rare aircraft/ livery or new entrant, I rarely visit the airport for the purposes of shooting and photography. Also, it seems that creative shots, angles etc... are no longer sought after unlike in the early days. Looking at the recent submissions, pretty much the same side on shots, 1/4 angle approach shots and so on. No disrespect to the photographers, but it’s getting really bland.

cv5880

Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:59 am

I am agree that this is Airliners.net not military planes.net. We also get quite a bit if CCP and Russian propaganda photos dumped on the landing page. Can the moderators keep Chinese and Russian propaganda pictures off the landing page?

atcsundevil

Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:38 am

cv5880 wrote:
I am agree that this is Airliners.net not military planes.net. We also get quite a bit if CCP and Russian propaganda photos dumped on the landing page. Can the moderators keep Chinese and Russian propaganda pictures off the landing page?

We have precisely zero control over what happens outside of the forum. We are forum moderators, not website moderators. I have no idea how those images are chosen, but it's not done intentionally to allow for the promotion of some sort of propaganda. There are quite a few people interested in Russian or Soviet aircraft who are also against the war in Ukraine, so I'm not sure that it's fair to imply that those pictures are for propaganda rather than just general interest. This issue has come up regularly over the years (and the issue of Russian militarily aircraft at least twice in the last year) — the fact is that the site exists for the interest of all things aviation, not just commercial aircraft. It's all outside of my control anyway, so I guess I'll just say, "it is what it is."

keesje

Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:14 am

atcsundevil wrote:
cv5880 wrote:

We have precisely zero control over what happens outside of the forum. We are forum moderators, not website moderators. I have no idea how those images are chosen, but it's not done intentionally to allow for the promotion of some sort of propaganda. There are quite a few people interested in Russian or Soviet aircraft who are also against the war in Ukraine, so I'm not sure that it's fair to imply that those pictures are for propaganda rather than just general interest. This issue has come up regularly over the years (and the issue of Russian militarily aircraft at least twice in the last year) — the fact is that the site exists for the interest of all things aviation, not just commercial aircraft. It's all outside of my control anyway, so I guess I'll just say, "it is what it is."

Agree, post every picture form every aircraft & keep politics/ censorship out. W're above that.

cv5880

Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:29 pm

I am tired of seeing Chinese propaganda pictures of their latest Long March Super Super Rocket on the landing page. Europeans don't have to deal with the aggressive espionage of the CCP like we do and I am tried of seeing Chinese military's gadgets in my face. Moderators can't move military pictures to a separate landing page?

qf789

Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:49 pm

cv5880 wrote:
I am tired of seeing Chinese propaganda pictures of their latest Long March Super Super Rocket on the landing page. Europeans don't have to deal with the aggressive espionage of the CCP like we do and I am tried of seeing Chinese military's gadgets in my face. Moderators can't move military pictures to a separate landing page?

We are forum moderators therefore we are responsible for the forums and only the forums. We have nothing to do with photos, you need to take that up with the screeners

atcsundevil

Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:08 pm

cv5880 wrote:

I will reiterate what I said in my last post.. We have precisely zero control over what happens outside of the forum. We are forum moderators, not website moderators. Our privileges and responsibilities on this website start and end with these discussion forums. We have absolutely nothing to do with images, image comments, or anything on the homepage. We have no tools, access, or abilities to do anything outside of this forum.

TVNWZ

Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:50 pm

cv5880 wrote:

Maybe just call up another picture. Pictures should be politically neutral.