Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

theAviationGeek
Topic Author

Factual Discussions Being Moved to Opinions Forum

Sat May 20, 2023 11:49 pm

I have noticed recently that several topics have been moved from the Civil Aviation Forum to the Travel, Polls & Preferences Forum that don’t seem like they would belong there.

I don’t frequent the Travel, Polls & Preferences forum as the description has never interested me and I am interested in *factual* discussions that play out in the Civil Aviation and Technical/Operations Forums. The other day when I couldn’t find a topic I had been following in Civil Aviation, I found that it, and other interesting topics, had all been moved. Examples of these posts include:

*Aviation Terminology Derived From Railroading
*The Little Known Fact thread
*AA, B6, other airline network changes post-NEA
*Interior's of old demolished terminals
*Multi City Airports - that are usually referred to by just one city…..
*Smaller cities with 2 commercial airports
*Post pandemic flights not returning
*How many of AA A321CEO are sharklet vs. non-sharklet?

I fail to see how any of these topics are *opinion/preference* based and not Civil Aviation or Tech/Ops based. I’ll agree the for now the AA, B6 discussion is speculative; however, in the near future these changes will actually begin to play out.

Has something changed from the descriptions posted in the listing of forums and also in the forum rules themselves?

Ryan

Newark727

Re: Factual Discussions Being Moved to Opinions Forum

Sat May 20, 2023 11:56 pm

I don't think the descriptions in the forum listings have been changed in some time. It still says we can discuss politics in Non-Aviation, for instance.

SQ22

Sun May 21, 2023 3:41 am

Besides the AA and B6 thread you are stating threads which are falling into the polls category, hence they have been moved accordingly.

We have again requested some name changes after the ban of politics, but so far we haven't received a feedback when we can expect the changes.

theAviationGeek
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2023 5:33 am

I am not trying to be argumentative by any means, but how is requesting a count of sharkletted A321s a “poll”? There’s a factual answer to that question that is accurate and not a number which I feel is correct, what someone else feels is correct, etc.

Am I misunderstanding what the site considers to be a poll?

None of these are my posts, I just am wondering how many others, like myself, would never think to look in another preferences forum to find factual civil aviation information.

SQ22

Sun May 21, 2023 10:27 am

Copied from the description of the forums:

Opinion-based discussions about aviation. The best, worst, biggest, smallest. Or seeking advice as to a preferred carrier for a trip you are planning, etc.

Aviation Forums

This includes also counts etc.

atcsundevil

Sun May 21, 2023 3:18 pm

theAviationGeek wrote:
I have noticed recently that several topics have been moved from the Civil Aviation Forum to the Travel, Polls & Preferences Forum that don’t seem like they would belong there.

I don’t frequent the Travel, Polls & Preferences forum as the description has never interested me and I am interested in *factual* discussions that play out in the Civil Aviation and Technical/Operations Forums. The other day when I couldn’t find a topic I had been following in Civil Aviation, I found that it, and other interesting topics, had all been moved. Examples of these posts include:

*Aviation Terminology Derived From Railroading
*The Little Known Fact thread
*AA, B6, other airline network changes post-NEA
*Interior's of old demolished terminals
*Multi City Airports - that are usually referred to by just one city…..
*Smaller cities with 2 commercial airports
*Post pandemic flights not returning
*How many of AA A321CEO are sharklet vs. non-sharklet?

I fail to see how any of these topics are *opinion/preference* based and not Civil Aviation or Tech/Ops based. I’ll agree the for now the AA, B6 discussion is speculative; however, in the near future these changes will actually begin to play out.

Has something changed from the descriptions posted in the listing of forums and also in the forum rules themselves?

Ryan

Nothing has changed. It's up to moderator discretion to determine the best forum for a thread. Sometimes threads are interpreted differently based on who's reading it, and sometimes it's not always clear to us where a thread is best placed.

From the forum rules:
Please post in the correct forum. Familiarize yourself with their descriptions and guidelines to decide in which forum your thread belongs. A thread may be moved to another forum if the topic is more suitable elsewhere.

theAviationGeek
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2023 3:54 pm

That’s just it though, the forum descriptions don’t match reality with where some of these posts are being placed. I thoroughly read them before starting this post and would never have done so if there wasn’t such a perceived disconnect.

I respect the mods, you have a tough job that goes unrecognized by most. I just am trying to get a better understanding of the forums and their descriptions. I have been a near daily user of this site since 1999 (former username was changed a few years ago) and have never spoken up about something like this before.

It would almost be helpful to have a new forum category that sits between Civil Aviation and Tech/Ops where people can ask for statistics, specific pieces of factual information regarding commercial aviation/aircraft. Based on the current description of Civil Aviation, it seems though it would already fit there. I feel like those types of posts are anything but a “poll” or “preference” and clearly don’t fall within that category as they are not “opinion based”.

Again, I appreciate the mods, I am just trying to offer some constructive feedback.

SQ22

Sun May 21, 2023 4:10 pm

theAviationGeek wrote:
That’s just it though, the forum descriptions don’t match reality with where some of these posts are being placed. I thoroughly read them before starting this post and would never have done so if there wasn’t such a perceived disconnect.

I respect the mods, you have a tough job that goes unrecognized by most. I just am trying to get a better understanding of the forums and their descriptions. I have been a near daily user of this site since 1999 (former username was changed a few years ago) and have never spoken up about something like this before.

It would almost be helpful to have a new forum category that sits between Civil Aviation and Tech/Ops where people can ask for statistics, specific pieces of factual information regarding commercial aviation/aircraft. Based on the current description of Civil Aviation, it seems though it would already fit there. I feel like those types of posts are anything but a “poll” or “preference” and clearly don’t fall within that category as they are not “opinion based”.

Again, I appreciate the mods, I am just trying to offer some constructive feedback.

The new category fits exactly for Travel, Polls and Preferences, hence this is the place to aks for this kind of information. However I agree with you that some descriptions are out of date and we have requested an update. However we will always have this kind of discission because there will always be something which fits in-between and of course it also depends on the thread and the discussion.