Delta

Underrated US:
Northwest
Southwest

Overratted Worldwide:
British Airways

Underrated Worldwide:
Cubana

I've flown all of the above so I can speek from my experience. Others may have other experiences in which they'll render a different opinion.

n521na

RE: Overrated Or Underrateed Airlines

Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:30 am

Geez Jahckass you sound like a king LOL. I expect this I expect that.  Yeah sure

n521na

Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:33 am

Oh yeah I forgot to say Northwest is underrated. They have good service etc and people complain about them so much. Delta is a little overrated but I give them credit for getting me into aviation.  Big grin

Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:34 am

I've ALWAYS heard good things about BA....  Big grin

AirUtopia

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:46 pm

SST - Midwest Xpress is underrated... CORRECT!

Victor Alpha - You are exact on MAS - excellent service, lower price. Unfortunately they are cost cutting and hopefully this does not change it for the worse.

IL 96 - Your points are good, impressions are hard to break - thus the Aeroflot bad image. But in a standpoint of domestic services - they are below par and this may be a continued reason.

UAL pacific intl (inter Asia) has excellent service. Atlantic I find lackluster.

NW within Asia I found not good, thus far.

dave

Al319

Wed Aug 15, 2001 2:09 pm

American is overrated!!!

ryanb741

Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:18 pm

Overrated - Virgin, United, Air France, Lufthansa, Qantas

Highly Rated but deserving of it - Emirates, Singapore Airlines (over the last 12 months they have got back on track), BA (New World Traveller etc - the old one sucked)

Underrated - Gulf Air, Qatar Airways, Malaysian, Air China

Greg

Wed Aug 15, 2001 10:56 pm

Over Rated: Virgin Upper Class and Economy
Way Over Rated: SQ Raffles

Under Rated:
Delta Biz Elite (its a nice product)
Air Canada (great food and wine)

FlyBoeing

Wed Aug 15, 2001 11:03 pm

Overrated: Air France, Northwest.

Accurately Rated: Southwest, Continental, Cathay Pacific.

Underrated: US Airways A330 service. BEST EVER transatlantic crossing. With that Passport system there was never a dull moment.

blink182

Wed Aug 15, 2001 11:48 pm

Overrated- United, Southwest, Delta, Virgin Atlantic
Underrated- British Airways(i know a lot of people like it, but I loved my recent flight with them and think they are number 1)
rgds,
blink182

UALPHLCS

Thu Aug 16, 2001 12:35 am

Some of these comparisons are like comparing apples to oranges. WN and the discount carriers should not be compared to a full service carrier. They simply do not even try to do what the full service carriers do. I mentioned it before Southwest doesn't check connection bags. Yet it gets rated with the full service carriers that do. Natually they are not going to loose as many bags as a full service carrier if the customer has to do the hard part of transfering the bags. My point isnt that the big carriers shouldn't or couldn't do a better job. My point is that WN gets praise from the media and the public and they don't even try to accomplish what the full service carriers do. I also apologize for my of topic rant in my previous post.
Overrated: SouthWest, AirTran
Underrated:JetBlue, Midwest Express
Overrated: AA, CO
Underrated: UA, US, NW

UALPHLCS

hp340

Thu Aug 16, 2001 12:59 am

Overrated - Emirates - Up until October of last year, when I flew from Dubai-Zurich-Dubai, they flew A310's regularly on that sector and their business class seats are amongst the most uncomfortable I've been on. I understand they have A330's on that sector now which are a lot better. However, they still use their A310's extensively on flights between Dubai & the Indian subcontinent. They have some A330's as well but more often than not, you'll end up with an A310 with uncomfortable seats. Also, Emirates ground staff in Bombay & Delhi are not the most polite people. All in all, people travelling between Dubai & South Asia are not so impressed with Emirates as much as People travelling to the Far East & Europe. I think they have their best crew & aircraft dedicated to those sectors. To all EK fans, I'm not saying EK is a bad airline but I think they are quite overrated.

Underrated - Air India - First & business class is amongst the best. I would put the inflight service & ground handling higher than Cathay Pacific or even Swissair. Although their aircraft are older.

sfointern

Thu Aug 16, 2001 1:11 am

UAPHLCS... I was on UA flt 93 PHL-SFO a month ago... please tell me, how is the extra gate renovation going on for UA there?

[email protected]

richardw

Thu Aug 16, 2001 6:12 am

Overrated Low fare airlines that are in fact no frills airlines

Underrated Very large airlines that have consistent service across all their flights

RIX

Fri Aug 17, 2001 5:00 am

Well, at our forum it must be "overbashed and underbashed airlines/airliners/manufacturers". I'm afraid none will fit to the first group... Big grin

blink182

Fri Aug 17, 2001 8:21 am

UALPHLCS- You explained my point about SWA. I don't know about most of you guys, but I would rather have my airline transfer my bags and assume that I get them at my final destination, rather than having to pick up my heavy bags and walk a long distance to the check in counter and assume my bags arrive at my final destination. Also, I would rather travel on a clean plane with service, rather than fly on an uncleaned plane and get two bags of peanuts. I kinda feel Southwest is the reason air service in the USA is so bad nowadays.
rgds,
blink182

txagkuwait

Fri Aug 17, 2001 11:13 am

Blink:

We all know your mommy and or daddy work for AA, so your opinions are rather jaundiced, wouldn't you sAAy?

At any rate.....a bit off topic but a lot of folks have made this comment, and I feel compelled to set them straight. This business about "Southwest not transferring your bag" is utter nonsense.

Southwest transfers all bags for passengers booked on Southwest Airlines flights which make connections.

About the only time I can think of Southwest is not transferring bags...is (A) when you are transferring to another carrier...and let's face it.....in this era of hubs and such...when was the last time (other than international) that you transferred from one airline to another? I'm not counting American to American Eagle...or Delta to Delta Connection.....or Continental to Continental Express. Those are online connections.

I refer to something like flying AA DFW-MEM and NW from MEM to MSP. Nobody does that much anymore. They get on AA at DFW and fly direct to their destination.

If people do connect nowadays, it's generally online.

If people are making connections on Southwest, the bags get transferred.

The other exception is if you (like I frequently do) bust the Wright Amendment in order to thumb your nose at American. Flying on a non-published connection...like DAL-ABQ-PDX or DAL-OKC-MCI...you either check, reclaim, and recheck your bags...or you become something of a bin hog, carry everything on, and check in early.

But ENOUGH of the "Southwest doesn't transfer your bags if you are a connecting passenger" nonsense. That is true only if you are changing air carriers, and that seldom happens in this day and age.

Have I made myself clear? "-)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos