Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bicoastal
Topic Author

Good United Experience

Tue Aug 14, 2001 1:28 am

This may sound strange but yesterday, even though my flight was cancelled, United did a great job. We were taxiing for take off at Baltimore (BWI) bound for Denver in a 757 when a message came up in the cock pit. I was listening to Channel 9 and heard the pilot request to "pull over" out of the que so it could be checked out. To make a three hour story short, they couldn't fix the problem....something about a sensor which lets the pilot know that the wheels are locked down. My attitude about these things is "better safe than sorry" and though the flight was cancelled I understood. The pilot and crew were fantastic. The worst thing about delays is the unknown. The pilot and crew kept the passengers informed at every turn of events. They let us get up to walk around the plane and use our cell phones. The captain graciously invited those interested to visit with him in the cockpit. He was great with some kids on board. We eventually had to go back to the gate and what amazed me is that there was absolutely no grumbling from any of the passengers. There's always one or two jerks in situations like this but I didn't hear any complaints. Safety first and everyone accepted that. When the flight was eventually cancelled....the problem just couldn't be fixed soon enough.....United at BWI had every available staff member working to rebook the flights of everyone on that full 757. It was a hard thing to do considering how full all the flights were yesterday. I'm sure a few people didn't get to their destination yesterday (I arrived 8 hours after I would have) but United handled it very well in my opinion. They gave me $100 credit for a future flight and I hear others got even more.....seems the ticket agents were very generous with the vouchers as well as all my meals covered until my later flight.

All in all a good experience in customer service.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

watewate

RE: Good United Experience

Tue Aug 14, 2001 1:40 am

$100? You let United get off real easy. Not that I encourage people to be asses and try to get more compensation, but some greedy people would have jumped at your situation as an opportunity to get rich-quick.

Bicoastal
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2001 1:44 am

I'm sure others did get more on request/demand. I'm a 100K on United so I get enough freebies from them and have enough trouble as it is finding time to use my miles, upgrades, etc.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

767-322ETOPS

Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:12 am

Just curious (and not trying to aggitate things), but did they know from a manifest or something that you were a 1K? I would have expected them to go above and beyond to keep one of their top tier customers happy, as you mentioned others got more than you.

It's nice to hear something postive about UA. They get trashed a lot, but in fact remain an overall excellent airline. Maybe this incident is evidence that they're going to start and try rising again?

sfointern

Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:21 am

There is certainly a more perky attitude and extra willingness to help a customer as employees have no grand legitimate agenda against management now that the US Airways debacle is over.

sfointern

Forgot To Add

Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:26 am

Don't worry though, there's still bitterness!  Big thumbs up

777fan

Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:49 am

Had a similar incident with UAL in Den on a 767-300. According to the pilot and channel 9 (Love it!) we had a throttle-up warning light come on.

We pulled off the runway and the pilot came on the intercom and told us exactly what was going on and what they were doing, the FAs were allowed to get water/pop/coffee to those that wanted it. We were only delayed about 45 minutes, but as said above, SAFETY FIRST!

It sure appears that United is really trying!

Greg
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

TonyBurr

Tue Aug 14, 2001 5:10 am

I am glad you had a good experience on UA. It sounds like the "old" United where they responded to a problem situation. It is too far between such good reports of UA. Glad there are some.

DCA-ROCguy

Tue Aug 14, 2001 5:26 am

Maybe that 757 captain and the BWI staff should be put in the executive suite. It sounds like they have lots to teach Goodwin, Dutta et. al. Big grin I know a UA 757 pilot based at ORD who's a great person--I wonder if it's him?

Seriously, it's good to hear good news about United's customer service. I had a similarly good customer service experience recently with American Trans Air after they cancelled my flight from DFW. They got me on an AA flight direct to my final destination (DCA) that actually arrived earlier than I would have on ATA!

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

Tango-Bravo

Tue Aug 14, 2001 6:45 am

Less than one week ago I flew United MSP-DEN-PHX and observed the same "right stuff" from UA staff as mentioned in other replies to this topic. What stands out most in my memory of my recent UA experience is...

"The Amazing Turnaround"

The turnaround of the aircraft operating the MSP-DEN segment of my return flights, 737-522 N935UA, made me wonder if the UA mainline team responsible for getting the flight out had been recruited from WN. Both the inbound flight and my outbound flight being opb N935UA had full pax loads. In spite of the inbound flight arriving 12 min. late (scheduled turnaround time a very tight 40 min., down to 28 min. due to late arrival of inbound aircraft), my outbound MSP-DEN flight was pushed back a mere 3 min. after our scheduled departure time, just 31 min. after the inbound flight had come to a stop at the gate. We were airborne exactly 10 minutes after pushback. Our arrival at the gate in DEN was 14 min. early.

Throughout my 4-segment roundtrip with UA during my Aug. 4-7 trip to MSP, I found a spirit among UA staff, both on the ground and in the air, that seems to suggest that their airline may be on the right track once again.

Shawn Patrick

Tue Aug 14, 2001 6:46 am

I had a wonderful canceled flight experience (oxymoron? lol  Smile) on UA also.

My flight from EWR to DEN was delayed because the plane (777) was popping circuit breakers in the galley. The gate agents were totally honest in telling us all of what was going wrong. The flight was canceled shortly after.

Took care of my dinner in EWR, and got me on a later flight to DEN.

The only complaint I had was that I had to fly on an A319, not the 777 I was susposed to.  Sad I love that 777  Smile

Keep rising, United.

TonyBurr

Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:15 pm

Glad to hear more good things about UA. Almost like the old days.

Had a bad experience last week SYD-SFO. Towards the end of the 13 hour flight I was listening to channel 9 as we approached SFO. All of a sudden we heard the Pruser talking to the cockpit. He was saying that a pax in F was F****** Pain in the A**. He did not realize it was coming over channel 9 till the captian told him to shut up and come to the cockpit. The Purser came back to F and apologized to the pax.

I was sitting in F and saw the pax throughout the flight. He was not a P in the A. He was very friendly to the crew, always thanked them and never pushed the call button once. If a pax had said this to the crew they could be arrested for verbal assualt. The captain should have apologized also. He did not.

So there are good tories about UA, but this was one of the worst things I have ever seen (heard) in flying.

UA "may" be improving, but the attitude is still there!

DouglasDC8

Tue Aug 14, 2001 1:23 pm

Just wondering why a flight attendant would be communicating with air traffic control? That's the only thing that's monitored on channel 9.

AgnusBymaster

Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:08 pm

I have to admit, United customer service did a good job on my two flights last week. But what bothers me is that so many people are experiencing mechanical delays/cancellations and so on when flying UA. I was hoping my experience was just a fluke.

On both of my flights last week, everyone was seated before they finally figured out there was something wrong with the aircraft. In one case, we actually tookoff and then returned to the airport, where we sat on the plane for an additional 2 hours while they fixed the problem. On the other flight, we sat on the plane for an hour before they cancelled the flight.

Needless to say, there were some very angry passengers and the customer service agents had to take a lot of verbal abuse.

[email protected]

Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:16 pm

Just wondering why a flight attendant would be communicating with air traffic control? That's the only thing that's monitored on channel 9.

That is EXACTLY what I was wondering, DouglasDC8. I don't believe there's anyway possible a F/A-to-cockpit communication could find its way into air traffic control communication. The cabin communication system is totally separate from channel 9.

There simply are no "party lines" with Channel 9.

Hmmm. Here we have yet another mysterious account of a "recent" UA flight told by someone in a.net. The anecdotes never cease to amaze me here.

DLL10

Tue Aug 14, 2001 5:04 pm

There's a simple rule for flying United : Intercontinentally they are the best US carrier. On domestic flights you just have to expect at least one cancellation or severe delay on every roundtrip, maybe more. But if that is fine for you, United is one of the best airlines even on the domestic market. Their flying crew is usually very friendly, while ground staff courtesy varies dramatically. The one thing that upsets me most is that if you get strabded after maintenace related delays they always insist that they don't have to pay for your hotel because the delay was due to weather, even if it was not. I have spend several hours discussing to ground staff and their supervisors by now and in about 50% of the cases they finally pay for it. But that's about the only main problem that UA stil has to solve. Other than that they have improved a lot and I especially love Economy Plus as a Premier. Which other ailrine offers seats like that to their FF. Plus, Channel 9 and In Seat Videos on many flights are something I just wouldn't want to miss.
Go, fly their friendly skies........... Big thumbs up

Tue Aug 14, 2001 5:48 pm

As a employee of united it's nice to hear kind things about my company.However it was nailed that all of these problems are being caused buy UPPER MANGEMENT.

TonyBurr

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:42 pm

For those who askrf. channel 9 is NOT used to speak with ATC from the cockpit. It is an internal channel on which you can hear the cocpit talk to ATC. If you have ever flown you know that whatever channel you are listening to when the cockpiy or FA speak over their phones their voice over rides anything on any channel, including channel 9. This is what happened on the SYD-SFO flight. Thus all could hear.

For those who think this is just "another" imaginary travel story, sorry to disappoint you. It is real. There are several hundred witnesses! You must be UA employee/owners who think you actually give "imaginay" service.

Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:45 pm

My delay in LAX (see The "new" United ORD-LAX-ORD in Trip Reports) was also handled really well, and the crew gave the plane free drinks despite it not being United's fault at all.

The Friendly Skies are coming back!

sfointern

Wed Aug 15, 2001 12:27 am

Well I had to do these recently as examples for the ad team, so I might as well share them. (The CEO thing is a quasi-joke).

SFOintern

DouglasDC8

Wed Aug 15, 2001 10:19 am

Ok, TonyBurr, I think I've got it. The flight attendant made the comment over the public address system, not the interphone. Now that makes sense to me. Believe it or not, I have flown!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos