Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BA
Topic Author

United's Next Move.

Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:05 am

Over the past few years, United has drastically increased there service.

What do you think they will do now? These days they are working on improving there Express service with there code-share partners. Several of United's domestic routes have been converted to United Express and added more frequency, while United's service handle longer distant routes within the US and outside.

Here in Denver, United is building the largest and most advanced regional facility in the world. They're building a 36-gate commuter terminal on the east side of Concourse A. The terminal will have concessions, restaurants, restrooms, gate waiting areas, Red Carpet Club Lounge, and jetways in each gate. From what I understand is that the jetways are specially designed for small Regional Jets and turbo props. They would be compatible with the Dornier 328 and other small turbo props.

Some airports in Europe that I've been to have had these "mini" low-floor jetways.

Also, Skywest is starting several services out of Denver.
In Chicago, I United is increasing United Express service there aswell.

Great Lakes Aviation still has a code-share agreement with United, but a smaller one. They consider themselves an independent airline rather than a code-share with United. Recently they named themselves "Great Lakes Airlines" and have begun repainting there planes.

I think United wants to focus on there commuter (Express) service within the US most.

What do you all think?

Regards.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

UALPHLCS

RE: United's Next Move.

Wed Aug 22, 2001 2:51 am

The new F terminal In PHL is all USAirways Express almost all the gates have jetways for aricraft as small as the CRJ to a 737. They are neat to see. Also PHL will be all UAX to IAD. We previosly has two true UA flights a day. I think UA is cutiing service dramatically and using the UAX carriers in thier place. God know what the thinking is at WHQ, it is nine square miles of suburban Chicago landscape surrounded by reality.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

Cap'n Dan

RE: Regional Jetways

Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:15 am

How do the jetways work? Are they specially designed for regional jets, or do they use those bridges like in Cincinnatti? Any pics?

BA
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:21 am

Cap'n Dan,

Yes they are jetways specially designed for regional jets and turbo props.

I haven't found any pics yet, but it isn't anything brand new.

A couple airports in Europe have jetways specially designed for regional jets like the CRJ.

Regards.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Cap'n Dan

RE: BA

Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:32 am

Thanks!

UALPHLCS

Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:33 am

No pics yet but let me see if I can descibe them. First of all the wheels are fixed to go side to side the jetway is so low the wheels are next to the walkway. this is so the jetway can roll in an arc in and out of the envelope. A bit farther out on the jetway the walkway gets larger, in reverse of the normal jetway. This allows motors to move that part horizontally in and out. The floor of the cab has a cut-out that allows the door of the aircraft to swing down and then a bridge is layed down to the cabin for people to walk on. It it neat to see. Come to PHL the F terminal is state of the art. the New international terminal will be done next spring. If we had more runways PHL would be a fantastic airport.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

Cap'n Dan

Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:53 am

I'd love to see that at YOW. Almost all our traffic to the U.S. is on regional jets, and in the harsh Canadian climate it can be a royal pain to brave the elements getting to your plane. More than once I have seen people slip on the tarmac in the winter...

ILUV767

Wed Aug 22, 2001 6:30 am

Aside from United using Express more for short hop flights, I think that United needs to do the following:

• Get rid of the current upper managment.
• Get all of the employee's contracts in order.
• Work on customer service both in the air and on the ground.
• Eliminate Shuttle in favor of hourly flights between SFO and LAX. Model it after US Airways Shuttle and Delta Shuttle. Flights to other city's such as SAN, PHX, LAS, PDX, and SEA would retain service...maybe not hourly, but it would get mainline service. Flights to smaller city pairs would be downgraded to Express on the Regional Jet.
• Advertise. Bring the passenger back to United.
• Re-Deploy flights between certain hub cities, and make Denver the primary east-west hub.
• Create a focus city in the north east offering flights from the north east to the north east. This can be done using ACA.
• Expidite the retirement of the 727 and the 732. Decide on the fate of the 737 all together.

That is just a start.

I L U V 7 6 7

Wed Aug 22, 2001 7:20 am

Although there is much to be done, I think the new United is making great strides in customer service.

U N I T E D: Come Fly Our New Friendly Skies.

blink182

Wed Aug 22, 2001 7:57 am

Those jetways aren't that new. American Eagle uses jetways like that at their gates at DFW and ORD. Also Continental Express has been using gates like those at cleveland for quite some time.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

IAHERJ

Wed Aug 22, 2001 8:07 am

At Continental Express, the ERJ-145's can use most modern jetways already in service in the Continental system. The jetways installed in Cleveland are normal size and can accomidate a 777 if needed. There is not enough ramp space for one there however. We regularly use jetways at almost all of our out stations. Our regional jets have no airstair door. The canadair product does. This is why the new jetways in Denver etc. are smaller, and specially designed for regional jets. An Embraer could pull up to any jetway with dipping capability (most U.S. cities have them). In Mexico, and certain cities without jetways, we have special stairs that roll up to the aircraft for deplaning. Some of you may have noticed the catering trucks that the Express Jets use. They were designed to fit the service door directly across from the main foreward cabin door. They look like mini-trucks but work wonderfully.
Actually flown: EMB-120 EMB-145 B717 B737 B757 B767

MAH4546

Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:58 pm

Well, they are building a new 28-gate terminal at MIA, set to open in 2005. The foundation work is well under way. The terminal, which will be A380-ready, will be occupied by, along with United, Air Canada, Mexicana, Lauda Air/Austrian, Lufthansa, and Varig, as well as other UA code-share partners out of MIA (like airALM), Star Alliance members that would like to join MIA (bmi? ANA?), and airlines that would like to take advantage of A380-capable gates (like AF, VS). I would definitley look for a lot of international expansion out of MIA, possibly LHR, BOG, and LIM, and some domestic expansion too (SEA, BOS), even though MIA-ATL is being discontinued this winter.
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos