Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

desertjets
Topic Author

Spotting From Home/work/school

Wed Aug 22, 2001 2:52 pm

I thought I would bring this topic back up since so many more people have joined since first asked this question a year and a half ago.

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/223287/6/

This popped into my head as I was sitting at work staring out the window, as I often do  Smile/happy/getting dizzy, and watched an E-3 Sentry make a banking left turn on short finals into Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.

One of the signs of a true aviation enthusiast is the ability to spot planes whereever you are, you don't need to be at the airport.

So are you lucky enough to live, work, or go to school with good plane spotting. Or do you find your self drifting from lane to lane on the freeway because you are paying more attention to the planes than to the cars around you?

crank

RE: Spotting From Home/work/school

Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:28 pm

Well, I'm lucky enough to be able to see planes when I'm home and when I'm at school. When I'm home, if I look trough my window I can see the planes that are on finals for rwy 24R/24L to YUL, and most of the planes that are taking off from 06R/06L and going to Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Detroit, Minneapolis are passing above my house too. Same thing when I'm going to school, I have to walk 15 min. and by the time I can watch them on finals or on takeoff. When I was in the school, in my mathematics class, I was sitting right next to a window, having a GREAT view of the planes on finals for 24R/24L. I was also using the flight AC402 as a clock to know if I was going to be late or early to school, cuz this flight is rarely delayed.

DLL10

Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:31 pm

From my current workplace I can see planes coming from the south turning for ILS 23 and I find myself staring out of the window instead of doing my job. But that's what we spotters are like, right? Anyway, I usually have the arrivals webpage of the airport somewhere on my screen and everytime I see a plane, I try to figure out where it's comeing froma nd going to. Too bad I can't listen to ATC at work to know the flights number.

B737-112

Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:38 pm

My workplace is just across the tracks from BUR. I have the honor of standing there all day watching arrivals and departures. Sometimes I just tell customers to wait a minute so I can watch a jet depart.

sudden

Wed Aug 22, 2001 4:07 pm

I happen to live close to Schiphol, so when runway 01L is in use they pass over our home. And I'm also "lucky" to work at Schiphol. Now when it's summer, and when it's late and calm outside You can hear them taxi out to the runway. Then you know that there will soon be a "flyby". Take care!

dragon-wings

Thu Aug 23, 2001 4:44 am

I live about 45 miles east of JFK and from my house I can see the planes going into land at JFK. Sometimes they are low enough that I don't need binoculars to see what airline it is. Just yesterday I was looking out my window and saw the following planes......Lufthansa 747, Polar Air Cargo 747, Air France 747, LOT 767, Alitalia 767, American 777 and Delta MD-11. I also live about 5 minutes from ISP, and whenever they use the north-south runway at ISP weather landing or on takeoffs, the planes go right over my house

H. Simpson

Thu Aug 23, 2001 7:28 am

I live just about 2 miles from LGA and the airport is real busy!
my home and school can see almost all traffic in/out to LGA. Especially the Expressway Visual runway 31. Traffic just swinging over my house for final. for flights departing runway 13. Aircraft will start it's left turn just at about 2miles DME. so planes would make a beautiful turn at my bedroom window! Smile/happy/getting dizzy

So Long
mike

donder10

Thu Aug 23, 2001 7:43 am

I live 3 miles out from Heathrow on the 27L ILS. Great for spotting.Also get LOTS of US/Canada-Europe flights :d

aio86

Thu Aug 23, 2001 7:48 am

From my house I can see a lot of Asian/Australasian carriers landing at LAX. I see lots of Qantas, Air NZ, JAL, Thai, United etc. Also I can see planes comming from other pacific coast destinations ie: SFO, SJC, OAK, SEA, so a see lots of Southwest, American, United, and sometimes Alaska planes.

From school I see planes taking off from Burbank. I see Southwest, United and Alaska mostly.

Teej13

Thu Aug 23, 2001 8:23 am

I used to work very close to the airport in Dublin. In fact, the office was literally across the street from what I think was runway 11. Even better - the building was part of Airways Industrial Estate, and was located on Boeing Road!

airbus380

Thu Aug 23, 2001 9:13 am

Wow, I don't compare to you guys. But, from my bedroom window I can see arrivals into 17L and 17R into AUS. I see a lot of 757s, some cargo DC-8s, a lot of WN 737s and a very occasional Heavy.

USAFHummer

Thu Aug 23, 2001 9:42 am

I live near NXX, or Willow Grove NAS/JRB, my house is under the downwind leg to Runway 33, so I can just run to a window and watch planes fly overhead.

Greg

Thu Aug 23, 2001 10:41 am

There are a lot of trees in my neighborhood, so it is kinda hard to see planes. But if I am on the second floor looking out of the east window, I can see the air traffic that is headed in the northwestern direction.

My Grandma's house is only a few miles away from the airport. Her house is right in the landing pattern of runway 10L, so the planes fly right over her house. The view of runway 10R is blocked by the woods and all of the trees. Because there gates are so close, America West, Delta and Southwest use 10L the most.

Continental

Thu Aug 23, 2001 11:02 am

I live about 10 min from MSP by car. I can see planes making procedure turns, and descending over my house. My favorites to spot are Icelandair 757, KLM 747, AWA A320, Co 737s, NWA 747s, and SC 737. I can view them out my window, and the planes seem to be directly over my house. I love it. But I do see those NWA DC-9s too much.

SophieMaltese

Thu Aug 23, 2001 11:37 am

Yep, I go to school very near the airport and am constantly paying more attention to the planes than I should be. I also stare at them when I'm riding in the car with somebody near an airport and start to completely ignore whatever conversation is going on.

Cleco

Thu Aug 23, 2001 11:50 am

Well... My friend and I have found that, from where we usually sit at Jacobs Field (Cleveland Indians home field), we can see TONS of planes.

Jake

delta-flyer

Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:08 pm

This post is for CRANK --

I just couldn't believe what you were saying - but in a nice way! I grew up in Montreal, too, and had a good view of the finals to 24L from my school and home. At school, I was sometimes lucky enough to take a class where the windows faced north, toward the flight path. The planes followed Metropolitan Expressway, right to the threshold.

I lived on the third floor of an apartment building where our bacony also faced north. I watched planes all the time after school and on weekends, while my parents thought I was studying. I had my binoculars and a the timetables of all the airlines serving YUL, so I could be checking on their arrivals.

Here are some of the planes I saw -- from that, you can deduce my age (don't look at my profile):

Air Canada & TCA - Viscount, Vanguard, DC-8
Nordair - Constellation, DC-6
Canadian Pacific - Britannia, DC-8
LH, SN, AF - B707
BOAC (BA) - VC-10 from LHR (My favorite - due just as school was finishing - at 15:15, but I have been known to stay until 4 pm or later just to see it in case it was late! - often, though, it was early, by up to 30 minutes.)

BTW, I went to Northmount High (which today has a French name - located at Vezina and Lavoie) and lived on Beaucourt facing MacKenzie King Park (Victoria & Cote Ste. Catherine area).

Peter

VapourTrails

Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:19 pm

I use the departing flights as an alarm clock, the regular flights arriving, departing and going over to tell the time, and can identify the type of aircraft flying in by the sound .. hmm.. Yes, not living under a flight path or near an airport should be avoided at all costs!!  Wink/being sarcastic

OO-VEG

Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:43 pm

At home I am able to see all the traffic at Geilenkirchen (homebase of E3A AWACS). From time to time I see and hear E3A aircraft, KC-135 occasionally a tornado and once I had the pleasure to see the Air Force one departing just by looking out my bedroom window.
Also aircraft approaching for Maastricht Airport can be seen out of my bedroom window. Those aircraft fly directly over my house but too high or far away to read a registration (which also is the case with the military aircraft from geilenkirchen).

At school I am much more nearby Maastricht airport and when I walk towards the busstation I normally see aircraft passing by much lower. If I would have my binoculars with me I could see the registrations.

high_flyr69

Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:50 pm

the area i live is a mecca for plane spotting we get lots of Qantas 763 and 762 and likewise with Ansett
we get the occasional virgin 734 and i saw my first flying 737-700 ng last monday
only if i could get a big enough lens the shots i could get and the best bit is the landing gears are dropped right over my house MILL PARK about 20 kms east of tullarmarine airport is great for spotting aircraft turning onto finals for runway 27
cheers
high_flyr69

Bluebellya380

Sun Aug 26, 2001 12:02 am

From my 60 story vantage point at work, I have an unobstructed panorama of operations at JFK, LGA and EWR. I probably spend a tad bit too much time peering through binoculars and switching to A.net  Big grin ,but I'm the boss!

AerLingus

Sun Aug 26, 2001 12:51 am

From my apartment on the sixth floor, I have an unobstructed southward view, so at night before the fog rolls in, I'm able to see the lights of aircraft on the traffic pattern in and out of SFO. I'm going to see if I can learn to identify certain aircraft by their landing light configuration.

Sun Aug 26, 2001 12:54 am

I can see the land right from my desk at home  Laugh out loud
So when doing homework or studying I sometimes get to see nice planes departing or arriving on Stuttgarts runway 07.

Big thumbs up
B737-700

us330

Sun Aug 26, 2001 2:08 am

My school is right under the approach path for Love Field, as well as one or two of DFW's runways, but the aircraft on approach to Love are much more visible than DFW bound aircraft, only exception being the Eagle and ASA turboprops.

MONARCH

Sun Aug 26, 2001 2:51 am

I am lucky enough to see BA B737s, Air 2000 B767 & B757s, JMC B757s, AA B767 (once a week), PIA B747-200, Monarch A321, Emirates A330 & A300, Airtours A320 and more!!!

These aircraft take off from BHX, and fly over my house.
 Nuts

EWR Spotter

Sun Aug 26, 2001 3:13 am

I live a few minutes away from EWR and on windy days, planes fly over my house for the 29 approach. I've seen so many planes MD-80, -83, -90, -11, DC-10, A340, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, ATR's, Beechcraft, private jets, and Embraers. I've even seen some of the planes with special paint schemes fly over such as the Continental NYC 2000 (N77014) I was lucky enough to see that fly over twice, the American Airlines 757 in the old retro colors, the British Airways 777 Hong Kong Tail, and another British Airways 777, but I can't figure out what tail it had. I watch all of this from my roof, which is a nice place since it is up high, and is flat. There were 2 777's that passed really low though. Usually I cannot see into the engines to see the fans spinning, but twice, two Continental 777's passed over so low, I just stood there in awe watching as they flew over. I haven't seen many planes passing over since March 2001, and I hope to see something soon, because I won't have the chance to watch them much longer, only about 1 more day, then it's off to college. But, it was great while it lasted.

747 4-ever

Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:21 am

When ARN's rwy 01 is used for landings every single plane (almost) flies over my house/school I love to sit an look outside the window when I having dinner and look at the aircrafts, unfourtnatly my parents doesn't agree with me...

PHX 1

Sun Aug 26, 2001 9:47 am

This past week, I was at marching band practice at my high school, in Phoenix, when a 737 flew right over the field. Usually planes don't fly over that area, since it's no where near the airport.

aerorobnz

Sun Aug 26, 2001 12:28 pm

Yep I do it from anywhere...If it is an international flight I can tell the Flight number/where it's from. When they fly over my house they usually still have their gear up and are yet to proceed onto finals to the airport. I see most of Auckland's International flights overhead, as well as the northern domestic flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos