Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Proffessional Piloting

Sun Aug 26, 2001 4:33 am

I have a couple questions about airline pilots. I am in high-school and I know I want to be an airline pilot but it's a kind of weird thing for me, I always think of the worst. I know that right now senior pilots make quite a bit of money. As time goes on and technology advances, will the salaries stay high since pilots don't have as many duties as in the past (like now there is autopilot and stuff)?? I know it is a rough road to get to a high level in aviation and I don't want to be piss poor when I'm older. I also want to make sure that there will be jobs in aviation at the time I get there. Thanks for reading and helping me.

RE: Proffessional Piloting

Mon Aug 27, 2001 2:48 am

up

Mon Aug 27, 2001 2:53 am

Is money the essential aspect of this job to you?

Buff

RE: Professional Piloting

Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:35 am

I also want to make sure that there will be jobs in aviation at the time I get there.

28flyer:

There are NO assurances in life. That's Lesson #1 in growing up. As far as career choices go, piloting is probably a safe venue for the next 50 years. However if one goes down a career path for reasons other than the passion that must accompany any such journey, then one is bound to experience failure.

If you want to be a pilot more than anything in the world, then do it. If you are passionate and you are good at it, then the money will come.

Not as quickly as a lottery winning, nor as much. But the money will be there. Nobody's going to just give it to you. You'll have to work your butt off and go get it!

Best of luck, and most important, enjoy your youth!

Buff

Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:42 am

Thanks. No I don't want to do it just for the money, but you have to wake up to the fact that as time goes by money is what a lot of people are going to start looking at. I sure as heck would'nt want to fly proffessionaly if I was going to have to live off welfare and food stamps for my whole life, would you?

flight152

Mon Aug 27, 2001 10:21 am

"Those who dare to fail miserably, can achieve greatly"
-Robert F. Kennedy

If you become a senior pilot I'm sure you won't have a problem with money.

VapourTrails

RE: Professional Piloting

Tue Aug 28, 2001 6:47 pm

If it's what you really want to do then you will have the determination to succeed and follow your dream. The money will get better in the long term but that shouldn't be a main motivation. I think pilots will still be needed at least in our lifetime, even though it's obvious that almost everything has a computer there somewhere these days.
You say you always think of the worst but you will gain more confidence in yourself as you get older, and this will help your goal. Good luck..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos