Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Richard Branson AutoBio

Tue Aug 28, 2001 2:07 am

If you want to know what makes Virgin Atlantic's flamboyant chairman (or whatever he prefers to call himself) tick, I suggest you get yourself a copy of his AutoBio "Losing my Virginity". It is not only fascinating, but funny and compelling reading. You can almost hear Branson recite the words as you read. One of the best Bios I've ever read. Much better than Chuck Yeager's and Lee Iacocca. Anybody read Brian Thrubshaw's?

BA777

RE: Richard Branson AutoBio

Tue Aug 28, 2001 3:39 pm

LMML,

i've read "losing my virginity", great book  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

he goes into so much detail for little things, but it's great  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

BA777  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

airways

Tue Aug 28, 2001 4:26 pm

After you read this book, you will see BA with other eyes...

I have read it! And it's a great book. I'm waiting for part II.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Michael
http://airways.ch

Tue Aug 28, 2001 7:04 pm

Read Virgin King afterwards, and then you will realise in what a good light he makes himself look in Losing my Virginty!
Iain

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2001 8:40 pm

Who wrote Virgin King? Sounds like this is a hate book.

Tue Aug 28, 2001 9:04 pm

I am not sure who wrote it, but by no means is it a hate book, just less pompus.
Iain

Tue Aug 28, 2001 9:41 pm

I was part of the original team that put together British Atlantic (now Virgin Atlantic) and I was present when the original deal was put together where the founder, Randolph Fields, was going to get 50% and Branson 50%. That was changed withing a couple of days to 60/40 (in Branson's favour) and then subsequently, just before the first flight, 90/10 (in Branson's favour). Within six months or so they fell out and Fields was sidelined (he subsequently set up Highland Express). Branson agreed a separation package that included unlimited Upper Class flights for Fields and his family for life - again after a couple of years (when Fields was getting Highland up and running, and travelling transatlantic more or less constantly) Branson unilaterally cancelled the deal paying (I think) £50k in compensation. Branson is as tough as they get and because he's got the cash - he calls the shots.

Wed Aug 29, 2001 12:36 am

Of course you were part of the original team, Ceilidh.
But being the boy who made the tea doesn't make you an airline executive, just a teaboy!

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Sat Sep 01, 2001 3:46 am

If Ceilidh says he was on the Virgin Team, I take his word for it. Please do not use this forum to insult other people. If you have something personal take it on a personal level.
Ceilidh: I was always under the impression that Branson had something to do with Highland Express.

Sat Sep 01, 2001 3:51 am

I do believe him! Serving tea to the Virgin guys must be one hell of a tough job!
BTW do you also believe that he has 4000hrs in command of heavy jets, that he has managed airlines all through Europe, Canada and Africa, that he has qualified for a Masters in Child Psychology and a Masters in Air Transport Management, and all before his 30th birthday? Yeah. Me too.

Sat Sep 01, 2001 4:11 am

Nope, Highland Express was a little like Lamar Muse's Muse Air - 'Revenge Air'. Branson did eventually take over G-HIHO, which became G-VMIA Spirit of Sir Freddie. When Fields had problems with his aircraft, he tried to put his pax on a VS flight to LGW and was told that he had to buy new, full fare, tickets for them - VS refused to accept the Highland ones. Very petty!

Actually, I left British Atlantic when Branson got involved - with all the arrogance of a 19 yo I felt that someone who managed the likes of Culture Club couldn't manage an airline - I was wrong! I was at the CAA hearing for the LGW-EWR licence - Fields had been giving evidence and getting everyone's backs up, and Branson made an appearance. BCal's lawyer said, rather snidely, that Branson would have to sell an awful lot of records to support an airline. Branson pointed out that the previous year's Virgin profits were more than the cumulative profits of BCal over the previous ten years - which took the wind out of his sails!

An excellent book to get hold of is Branson, by Tom Bower - this is the unauthorised biography and brought out a lot of skeletons from the closet! Info here: http://www.4thestate.co.uk/bookinfo.asp?intBookID=469&cat=3

Just ignore Freeboot - he's a psychotic cyberstalker who seems to have an obsession with me for reasons unknown - as a search of his previous posts will prove!

b744

Sat Sep 01, 2001 5:58 am

I don't doubt that you were involved Ceilidh, but everything you have posted on this thread so far has already been published in books. You might sound more believeable if you offer some insights that aren't publicly known - just a thought...

Sat Sep 01, 2001 6:22 am

What, like the fact that British Atlantic's original concept was going to be to provide service from LGW to the Falklands? (This was shortly after the Falklands War). Or that the business class operation was going to use ex Laker DC10s operated LGW-JFK with 150 seats at £799 one way/£1499 return? Or that the original team consisted of almost entirely ex Laker people - Allan Hellary, Eric Holloway, Roy Gardner (who was an FE on the DC10s)? Or that Randolph's PA (who went with him to Highland) was Caroline Breen? Or that the original name of the company that traded as British Atlantic was Ritter plc? Or that our offices were in the Beehive at Gatwick? Big grin Big grin Big grin

Sat Sep 01, 2001 7:38 am

I have heard about wanting to fly to the Falklands before (until some one mentioned it was a tiny rock of Argentina), and considering Sir Freddies involvement with it I am not surprised his team was too.
Iain

Sat Sep 01, 2001 4:33 pm

You'd better be careful when you say that the Falklands is a "tiny rock of Argentina", Iainhol - especially whilst you're in the UK!! Actually, since you obviously know very litle about the place, here's a geopolitical lesson for you:  Insane it's actually two fairly sizeable islands plus a number of much smaller ones that have been British possessions for several hundred years. It's always been a bit of a sore point with the Argentinians - who call them the Islas Malvinas - and in 1982 to divert attention away from a bankrupt economy, high unemployment and a fascist dictatorship, General Galtieri - then President of Argentina - invaded. The British returned and after quite heavy fighting at times and the loss of several ships and a lot of men and materiel on both sides, the British won. Ever since then, there has been a sizeable garrison in place on the Islands, which is serviced and supplied by a twice weekly TriStar service from RAF Brize Norton and frequent C130 flights from Ascension Island.

Finally, Sir Freddie Laker was not involved with British Atlantic - so your statement that "I am not surprised that his team was too" is completely erroneous. Sir Freddie gave assistance to Richard Branson in terms of 'dos and donts' when Virgin Atlantic was being set up and during the BA 'dirty tricks' campaign.

OO-AOG

Sat Sep 01, 2001 4:45 pm

That's why Branson named of his 747s Spirit of Sir Freddie

Sat Sep 01, 2001 5:01 pm

Yep - he wanted to name the first aircraft that ... but Sir Freddie thought that the time wasn't right and declined. It was called Maiden Voyager instead.

Sat Sep 01, 2001 7:41 pm

Ceilidh, I know plenty about the Falklands, infact a good friend of mine from boarding school lived there for 2 years (during the holidays) while here father was based there. She says that the road from the airport to the capital city (Stanely) was a dirt road that was occasionally closed in the winter due to it beinng too windy to drive safely down there. She also mentioned that there where tons of sheep and penguins.
It still does not surprise me that alot of Ex-Laker guys where involved in the project, it is kind of like a lot of ex Dan Air management work at EAL.
Iain

VapourTrails

RE: Brian Trubshaw's Concorde Book

Sat Sep 01, 2001 8:10 pm

In answer to the last question of the original post, I am reading Brian Trubshaw's 'Concorde: the Inside Story' at the moment. It contains everything you want to know about Concorde, it's history, the construction, ...well everything for the enthusiast! It also has lots of illustrations and photos on nearly every page.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy I've also watched (more than once) the video 'Concorde, the Ultimate Profile' which I recommend.

Sat Sep 01, 2001 8:13 pm

Yes, well.... I have to admit I'm having problems with your logic here ... why should it not surprise you that there were a number of ex GK people involved with BAA (especially as Sir Freddie wasn't, which you seemed to tie in as a reason for it); and DA people being involved with European Aviation?

BTW, the road between MPA and Stanley is now fully paved; and the C130 crews still get a buzz out of 'tumbling the pingus!'

Sat Sep 01, 2001 8:37 pm

WHen did the road get paved, it was not 4 years ago when my friend was there. She also mentioned that the most exciting thing to do in the Falklands is go Line Dancing.
My logic is Laker goes bust, people loose jobs and need new ones. With British Atlantic new jobs wher created. I also think you are down playing Lakers role, if he did as little as you are saying why would Branson name an aircreaft after him?
Iain

Sat Sep 01, 2001 8:56 pm

Iainhol, for goodness sake read my posts properly!!  Insane I said that he wasn't involved with BAA. He was, however, consulted by Branson. As for naming an aircraft after him - that was largely a public relations stunt. If the criteria for naming an aircraft is to have had a pivotal role in the company, how come Randolph never had an aircraft named after him??

Furthermore, all of the people involved with BAA were there on a voluntary, unpaid basis - same as with most startups; in fact most of the team contributed personal money towards expenses. No one was on the payroll as such until Branson became involved and financed the start-up of VAA.

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2001 2:01 am

Ceilidh - Do you plan to fly to the Mediterranean next Summer with Celtic Airways?

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2001 2:07 am

Sorry, Caledonian Wings

Sun Sep 02, 2001 2:18 am

Responded to by email as it's got nothing to do with the subject of the thread!

Sun Sep 02, 2001 2:41 am

It is classified huh?
Iain

Thu Sep 06, 2001 4:18 am

You've mentioned before that you were an integral member of the team that planned Virgin Ceilidh. So as an unqualified 19 year old, exactly what was your position there, teaboy?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos