Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FATFlyer
Topic Author

CRJs Replace Brasilias On FAT-SFO

Fri Sep 07, 2001 5:45 am

The first UAX RJs hit SFO yesterday, operating on the FAT-SFO route. The change reduces the number of flights on the route from 11 to 7, while retaining the same number of seats. The change also means that the only remaining turboprop flights out of Fresno are a single FAT-SFO, Skywest's FAT-LAS flights, and the FAT-LAX services on UAX and AE.

http://www.fresnobee.com/business/story/776664p-837494c.html
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

charlieduke

RE: CRJs Replace Brasilias On FAT-SFO

Fri Sep 07, 2001 7:20 am

UA has been concentrating on reducing the frequency to SFO to improve their operational reliability, so it is no surprise to see Brasilias replaced with CRJ’s. I guess I was mildly surprised to see FAT get them first. My question is…. What happens when other carriers start adding flights to SFO? Will UA re-introduce those flights? Will they be RJ’s or Brasilias?

Fri Sep 07, 2001 7:30 am

Buy any chance have you seen the CRJ's at FAT yet? Are they in United Express colors or Skywest colors?

Richard Silagi

fatboy

Fri Sep 07, 2001 7:32 am

I'm not surprised at all. Fresno pax have responded exceptionally well to the CRJ service to DEN. SkyWest just reshuffled their fall schedule to add a fourth frequency starting in October. UA is experiencing a lot of stimulation due to the desire of FAT pax to avoid the dreaded turboprop. I'm certain that they will see the same stimulation to SFO

charlieduke

Fri Sep 07, 2001 7:59 am

Fatboy-

I hope you took no offense at my off-handed comment. I have nothing against Fresno. In fact I saw the Oregon State game and I’m thinking about becoming a Fresno State fan. You guys looked great. The main reason that FAT didn’t seem to be the most likely choice for the honor of being first is simply because it is so close—167 miles. Typically, RJ’s are not used for such short flights.

Regarding your “stimulation” comment, I believe the reason for the stimulation is because of the fact that it is new non-stop service and not necessarily due to the fact that it is an RJ. No more transfers in SFO or LAX to go east.

Best regards. Go Dogs.

OH-LGA

Fri Sep 07, 2001 12:15 pm

Flygga:

I was at SFO today, and one of our (yes our, as of today I am employed by SkyWest as a CSA Big grin) CRJ's came in as I was riding the shuttle bus from the main terminal after returning from the SFO Permit Bureau. Very nice looking, oh, and it was in United Express colors.

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

milesrich

Fri Sep 07, 2001 12:20 pm

Congrats to the travelers from FAT. UA operated DC-8's, 727's and 737's on that route for years, with 7 or so flights per day until the early 80's.

ILUV767

Fri Sep 07, 2001 12:25 pm

I also want to remind you that FAT is one of SkyWest's hubs. This route makes perfict sence as it is the center of their operations for United Express. That would explain why DEN-FAT and SFO-FAT are now CRJs.

I L U V 7 6 7

jahckass

Fri Sep 07, 2001 7:33 pm

UA also operated, or still does a 757 and/or A320 on the SFO MRY route, that is less then 100 miles.

Sat Sep 08, 2001 12:05 am

Thanks for the info Kai......yes the CRJ's do look nice in the United Express colors. And congrats on the new job!

Richard

ILUV767

Mon Sep 10, 2001 3:29 pm

I flew on the CRJ from SFO to FAT and back on sat. It was a very nice plane. I got to watch Kai work at SkyWest. Kai, dont forget to smile more on your Skywest id.  Smile

Here is a very mini report about the plane, the flight, and SkyWest jets.

UA5391
SFO-FAT
Saturday, September 8th
Departs SFO at 10:21am
Actual Departure 12:40pm--Delayed due to late arrival of the equip...due to flow in SFO
Ship 7510 (N906SW)

The plane had nice leather seats, and there was a new smell to the plane. It felt very clean--as it was. The plane was much nicer than the ASA and the ACA CRJ's that I've been on. The seats do recline on the CRJ.

When we finally left, we were very late. The f/a did the short SkyWest safety demo, as the pilots started the left engine. I dont know what it is, but on the CRJ, there is sorta a clunky sound over the PA. I think that it has to do with the shape and design of the handset, but im not sure.

The f/a pulled the jumpseat out of its housing infront of the door, and latched it blocking the aisle leading to the cockpit. The climb out of SFO was very steep. It was really fun. We turned south, and flew over SFO heading south. Passing over SJC, we turned southeast enroute to FAT.

The flight attendant came around with the cart full of bottled water, and snacks. She gave me a bag of SkyWest 2000 snack mix, and Almonds. I miss the snack basket like those found on the Brasilia. Trash was collected, and we began our nose dive decent into Fresno.

The landing was very smooth, and we taxied over to the gate. I got my bag, and was off. Once inside Fresno's terminal, I got a boarding pass for the return flight to SFO. There was a crew change here in FAT.

UA5392
FAT-SFO
Saturday, September 8th
Arrived in SFO at 2:45pm (late)
Delayed due to late arrival of the equipment to FAT
Ship 7510 (N906SW)

The new flight attendant asked me if I was on the inbound flight, as she saw me on the tarmac. She was really nice, and we ended up chatting for the whole flight. I took seat 1B.

She started her day in MEM, went to DEN, then to FAT, then sat in FAT for 2 hours before picking up a double turns to SFO. She has a really long day. This was day 4 of a 4 day trip for her.

The service was the same snack and water, and within mins, we began our nose dive decent into SFO. With a taxi to parking spot 1E (right Kai) at the SkyWest terminal, my flights were done.

As I deplaned the passengers for the 12:50 flight to Fresno were walking out to the plane for boarding.
------------------

That is my brief report on the SkyWest CRJ.

I L U V 7 6 7

OH-LGA

Tue Sep 11, 2001 2:22 am

Yes David, I'll smile more for my SkyWest ID... but I am smiling on my SIDA badge  Smile

Actually... your parking spot is 1D (Delta), only rows 2 and 3 have up to E (Echo), and the RJ always parks at 1D. Anyways, because of the use of a single CRJ on the FAT-SFO route all day, we ended up cancelling to 6:45 flight to Fresno that day, the last scheduled RJ flight of the day, because the 3:45 didn't depart until 5:30. We did have a 9:45 to FAT on a Brasilia though.

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

watewate

Tue Sep 11, 2001 10:19 am

Could this spark a long-overdue RJ war out in intra-Cali routes? Neither AA nor UA are in financial shape to wage a RJ war, but it could be a competitive advantage for the carrier which chooses to go all RJ first. Imagine CRJs/ERJs at LAX.... sweet Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos