Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777gk
Topic Author

Attention American Airliners.net Users

Sun Sep 16, 2001 11:59 am

The recent attack of terror on the World Trade Center has crippled America, inflicting wounds that likely will not be healed for many years to come. One of these blows has come to our economy, which was already in a worsening state, but now has taken a horrible turn. If one industry could be pinpointed to lose more than any other, it could arguably be the airline industry. These vital businesses are literally bleeding cash in excess of tens of millions each day, with little hope for better days ahead. The American airline industry could lose up to four key players, and countless more smaller airlines which provide the feed to these major airlines.

With over 9,000 users at Airliners.net, we have a very useful vehicle to make points and propagate them throughout the online aviation world. In times of crisis, this tool must be used to our greatest advantage. So, tonight, I ask all users to join together, and for a moment, forget about your favorite airline. Forget about your favorite manufacturer. Forget about everything. For a moment, let us all become fans of the entire airline industry, those of us involved and those who are not. The request I have is for everyone to take a few minutes out of their lives and write or email a Congressman in support of granting the airline industry government money to resume operations and save carriers from the hell that is bankruptcy. Thousands will lose jobs. Price wars will flare up. Morale will decline. This cannot be allowed to happen.

Let us prove how strong our democracy is by showing that the will of the people can have a say in how our government conducts business. And let us again prove to these cowardly terrorists that America is not done yet, in fact we have done something unprecendented. We have come together so strongly that the patriotism of the American people has never been higher. We have made these terrorists' plans backfire already. Let's rub it in their faces more by proving that every element of the American industry will bounce back from this tragedy. The aviation world will be no exception.

757man

RE: Attention American Airliners.net Users

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:11 pm

Excellent post. I couldn't agree with you more. The airline industry has suffered a major blow, but it will bounce back. Air travel will always be the fastest growing form of transportation.

Trvlr

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:12 pm

Great post! I agree on all counts. The airline industry WILL come back, better prepared and stronger than ever. Although tragic, these events can only teach us and prepare us better for the future. Long live aviation.

Aaron G.

I Like To Fly

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:17 pm

777gk, you were on my respected users list once before. I don't know how you aren't their now, but you're back. Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Cleco

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:17 pm

Im gonna take a page from the old Harry Carey,

"excuse me, while I stand and aplaude..."

Jake
EMBRY-RIDDLE BABY

akelley728

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:18 pm

777gk:

Thank you for your very sincere post. You and all other employees of the airline industry, are bearing some of the economic fallout of this recent tragedy. My heart not only goes to the victims of the attacks, but those who will lost their jobs as a result. Not only are airline workers affected, but I know many other people who worked in the WTC who aren't getting a paycheck because there's no place to go work.

Hopefully government won't forget these people too, and provide benefits until they find a new job.

Ilyushin96M

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:33 pm

Excellent post. The airline industry is probably the most vital part of the transportation infrastructure of the United States of America. Without it, we will revert to an unimaginable state. I am sure there will be a huge government bail-out for this important sector; it MUST be saved. I for one will continue to fly as I always have, and will not allow those terrorist dogs to instill me with fear!

God Bless America!

ph-kcg

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:41 pm

Excellent.

TonyBurr

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:49 pm

Thank you for an EXCELLENT post! I have been so moved these last few days by the people going to Church, synagogue or mosque to pray! By the candle light vigils, but the sacrifices of the workers, volunteers and police and fire dept for their caring work. THIS IS AMERICA! If the terrorist thought American would "cower in fear" they OBVIOUSLY do not know the AMERICAN spirit. It has shown its best. We can be TREMENDOUSLY proud of the spirit of America.I hope that all freedom loving people of the world will continue to support America in doing what MUST be done to these terrorist and not back down when the going gets rough. This attack was not just America, but civilization.

Yes we need to have the government back the airline industry, not just because we need it, but to show these inhuman terrorist that they can not overcome us. America will be united, and is showing the whole world. The airline industry is the symbol THEY chose to TRY to destory us. We will show them by supporting that industry that they cannot.

To the flight crews back on duty - thanks for carrying that American spirit and message to the four corners of the world!

174thfwff

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:51 pm

I know it is a good idea, but I am not for that idea. Taxes will go up, and I don't want anymore out of my paycheck then already has to come out.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

fanofjets

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:09 pm

Civil aviation has been doing what this forum and the Internet are doing: bringing people from all around the world together. Though my heart has been torn by this tragedy, I have been comforted from the wonderful support of kind and compassionate people from all around the world. People from around the world are coming together. That is why I like civilian airplanes and that is why I like this forum.

Daniel
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

TWA717_200

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:13 pm

Well, I know that all of us in here know how to send an email. We all know how easy it is too.

Here's a directory of every congressman with an email address:

http://www.webslingerz.com/jhoffman/congress-email.html

Take the time to do it. I just did.

Thanks for a great post and idea, 777gk

God Bless America

Cordially,

TWA717_200

SFORAMPER

RE: McCain

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:29 pm

Thank you for the information TWA717_200, I just e mailed senator McCain.

Please do the same with your respective state.

airbus380

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:29 pm

I will do that right now.

TWA717_200

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:35 pm

Sforamper, good to see you again. Think the days of parking on top of Term 4 for spotting are over or what?

BTW, I wish that Bob Stump had an email address. I met him 15 years ago when I visited D.C. He's a good guy.

SFORAMPER

RE: TWA717_200

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:46 pm

TWA up until Tuesday I used to go up there during long breaks(downtime) to see landings and takeoffs but now I dont know, I certainly dont wanna be on the local news.

I will probably attempt to spot from there again, if anything security will just tell me to get down but I dont see that being a problem, I mean if I can get on the ramp why not the Pk. lot

TWA717_200

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:52 pm

Sfo, that's true. Still, I was hoping to put together a PHX spotter's meeting when the weather cooled off. That doesn't seem likely now.

viveAF

Sun Sep 16, 2001 7:56 pm

Excellent post 777gk.

Is there anything we non-US guys can do ? Can you suggest where, or to whom, we could send messages to make the same points ?

Just to add something - this morning (sunday) I stood in my garden here in Manchester and watched the early morning arrivals on their final approaches... AA B767 from ORD and CO B777 from EWR - I cried.

Stay strong America, we`re with you all the way.

ContinentalEWR

Sun Sep 16, 2001 9:22 pm

Outstanding post.

God Bless America. We are and remain the land of the free and the home of the brave.

ContinentalEWR

777gk
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2001 11:31 pm

For non-US members, I am sure that you could also write to a Senator expressing your concern, and if you make the fact known that you are a non-American, I am sure it will make the point even stronger.

I am in the process of writing a letter to Jon Corzine and Bob Torricelli, and am forwarding it to all New Jersey members of the House.

Friends of mine are in danger of losing their jobs, in "real" life and on the internet, and my company's financial outlook is grim. We need government money to keep Continental and all other airlines from experiencing bankruptcy, and I firmly believe that if we all can band together and make a statement to our country's leaders, we can make a difference.

viveAF

Mon Sep 17, 2001 3:39 am

Thanks 777gk. I have just emailed to Hilary Clinton (the only name I actually knew.....) and told her that as an employee in the UK business travel industry I was asking for her help to assist the troubles carriers.

It might help... who knows ??

My best wishes to you and your friends in this sad period. Let`s hope that this particular piece of `people power` might have some effect.

If I get a reply, I`ll let everyone know.

Rich.

deltaownsall

Attention American Airliners.net Users

Mon Sep 17, 2001 3:57 am

EXCELLENT Post 777gk, I applaud you. I have a firm belief that the gov't will not let the airlines fall...and that they will come up with a financial aid package possibly this week. God bless the airlines and God bless America!
DeltaOwnsAll

fly_emirates

Mon Sep 17, 2001 5:06 am

777gk,

your post was wonderful and i really felt to reply to it. my family lives in the USA as diplomats and they say that many people in the United states are pointing to all Arabs in America as terrorists, and that they have been mistreated and harrassed in the streets like if they were happy that it happend.
people here in Emirates airlines and all the staff were shocked for what happend in New York and sorry for the people who died in the tragedy and our hearts are with you. these terrorists are hiding under the name of Islam and taking it as an advantage to their unbeleivable acts. well, they are wrong because the traditional islam is way way different than they think.
And yeah, I agree with you as being fans of the whole airline industry and looking for the democracy for all of us. And I really love America because its the home for many airline industry sides.
My heart is with you Americans

Hamad
Emirates airlines Cabin Crew

lindy field

Mon Sep 17, 2001 6:25 am

Great post.

Perhaps someone would be so kind as to create a kind of form letter that the rest of us could copy and send to the appropriate persons after inserting the name of the recipient? Many thanks.

RJ_Delta

Mon Sep 17, 2001 6:34 am

Hi:

I'm a Chilean person but I support to you in this idea. The Congress must approve a help for the airlines.

RJ_Delta.