Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

757man
Topic Author

A Proud Moment

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:36 pm

I was at my local airport (Birmingham/BHX, England) on the morning of 13th September. One of the earlier arrivals of the day was American Airlines 24, a Boeing 767-300 inbound from Chicago. I'm not usually one to show my emotions in public, but upon the arrival of this 767, I started clapping (and I wasn't the only one). My main thought was of the terrorists attacks, they have took an emotional toll on myself and countless others. I clapped because it was the first US based airliner I'd seen after the disaster, and I had a feeling of admiration for the flight crew and passengers aboard. It just goes to show, we will not lie down and be silent - Our free world will continue and we will eliminate these evil people from this world, if not for the sake of our children. I'm very proud of AA flying this route into Birmingham so soon after the attacks, it shows how determined they are to carry on.

We in Britain support GW Bush all the way. Never will we have another September 11th. God bless all who believe in a free world.

Regards,
James

TonyBurr

RE: A Proud Moment

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:42 pm

Thank you for your sentiments! It is truly to their credit that the crew and pax flew in spite of fears to show the terrorists that we will not let them destroy our world. It is highly sumbolic that the first flight boldly proclaimed AMERICAN! American will not cower in fear. Let them see AMERICA continues! Terrorism will not rule!

Thank you for your support of President Bush as he undertakes a very difficult situation. We must repsond to the attacks! If not we are all in danger. I hope that the world will continue to support him in doing what he must do, not for the United States but for the world. The attack in New York was not just against the United States, it was an attack against civilization!

757man
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:16 pm

Thanks for your reply TonyBurr. I wasn't sure of posting this topic initially, but I think the message contained within it will give people hope. I know many have been put off flying, but if you gave me a ticket for the BHX-Chicago flight, I'd be on it tomorrow. I have visited the US in the past and have very fond memories.

The bad news from BHX though is that CO have stopped flying their daily Newark service. Hopefully we'll get it back one day, but given the recent announcement of CO's cutbacks and the current economical and political situation, I can understand why we no longer have this service. I intended to use this flight for a trip to New York next year. I don't mind flying from London though, and I still intend to visit New York. No terrorist is going to put me off flying, or visiting the states. I think this disaster has made people stronger, with greater resolve. It has certainly made me look at things I take for granted. My heart goes out to all those affected by this attrocity. The coming weeks will see many countries fight side by side to destroy terrorism and we will win, I'm confident of that.

TonyBurr

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:19 pm

A TREMENDOUS post! I am sure it lifted the spirits of anyone who reads it, as it did mine!

fanofjets

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:42 pm

Thank you for your sentiments! I couldn't express it better myself. The world is truly together!
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

757man
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2001 2:10 pm

Just an update on my comments about CO. I've just found out that the EWR-BHX service is due in later today. I'm going up to BHX to see it arrive. The sight of the CO 757 and AA 767 parked at BHX at the same time will show those terrorists that our flights will carry on and we will not give into them.

TWA717_200

Sun Sep 16, 2001 2:30 pm

Thanks so much, 757! Sometimes it's hard to remember that Americans aren't the only people that have felt the pain of the recent events.

RoyalDutch

Sun Sep 16, 2001 9:22 pm

Being an American living in Europe, I an extremely appreciative of all of the support shown to the US by our friends on this side of the pond...thank you 757man and all of the rest of you who have come behind us this fateful week.

gkirk

Sun Sep 16, 2001 9:26 pm

God bless America  Love
From Graham in Scotland.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos