Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Das Flugzeug
Topic Author

Shocking Low Load Factors

Fri Sep 21, 2001 1:06 am

I just spoke to a friend who took a flight this morning from one of the NYC airports. He was headed towards a large midwestern city aboard a MD-80 belonging to one of the big five carriers. Number of people on the flight: 11. According to my friend, this flight is usually near capacity.

Interestingly enough, he says he did not notice security being much tighter. Sure, the X-ray operators asked him for this ticket and destination, but he was still able to carry a shaving razor (mind you, not a straight razor) aboard the plane.

In my personal opinion, we should devote several thousand of our US Army infantry to airport/aircraft security. God knows we have enough troops, and if this is really a "war", shouldn't they be on the front lines?

flashmeister

RE: Shocking Low Load Factors

Fri Sep 21, 2001 1:10 am

Load factors were reported by Lowfareair on another thread:
Quote from Lowfareair-

According to Deltanet, Tuesday's load factor is 38.4%, Shuttle 10%, and DL Express in the 20's. Their overall load factor seems to have gone down everday since Sat.

This is not good people.

As for your friend's security experience, please remind him that he shouldn't breach security to just see if he can get through. Leave that to the professionals at the airlines and FAA, even if we have little faith in them. Your friend could have been in quite a bit of trouble, or at least have hassled by local authorities.

co/ba

Fri Sep 21, 2001 1:12 am

Now is the time nonrev to those hard to get to and hard to leave cities

Das Flugzeug
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2001 1:18 am

I don't think he intentionally packed his razor, he flies several times a week with work, and I believe he merely grabbed his bathroom kit during the rush to make the plane. He hasn't flown in 1 1/2 weeks due to the tragedy, and I believe it was a sudden decision to make this trip.

SouthRebels

Fri Sep 21, 2001 5:03 am

"I just spoke to a friend who took a flight this morning from one of the NYC airports. He was headed towards a large midwestern city aboard a MD-80 belonging to one of the big five carriers."

Why are you being so secretive with the cities and airlines? That seems odd to me.

Das Flugzeug
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2001 5:13 am

The reason I didn't mention names of airlines or destinations is because I know the airlines themselves are quite secretive over their load factors. Especially with the way airline stocks are getting hammered, I didn't want to point out one particular company that was hauling around 11 people in a 150 person jet. I'm sure I'm being overly cautious, but the point is made without any names being mentioned.

ryu2

Fri Sep 21, 2001 5:18 am

It doesn't take too much guesswork to figure out who flies MD-80s between NYC and "a large midwestern city"...

b757300

Fri Sep 21, 2001 5:25 am

Give the public some time to calm down and people will fly again. Right now a lot of people are too scared to get on an airliner. Once people see it is safe again, load factors will start to rise.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Bicoastal

Fri Sep 21, 2001 7:49 am

I flew from Dulles (IAD) to San Francisco (SFO) this morning (Thursday). There were only about 50 of us on the United's A320.

IAD was fairly empty for the morning block of flights. The media is helping to keep people from flying....report after report about 3 or 4 hour lines. I arrived 90 minutes ahead of time (Pre-terrorism I was usually there only 30 minutes before departure) and had NO delay getting through a new and thorough security procedure. Flying was not a hassle.

Fly, people, fly! The airlines need you.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

kwbl

Fri Sep 21, 2001 11:18 am

I just returned from my first business trip since this happened. I flew PDX-BOI on a Wednessay and the plane was a little over 50% full. I notice Alaska, Northwest, and Southwest lines at the ticket counter and at the gates were fairly crowded. My return from Boise was about 80% full so at least some people are flying in the northwest.

Fri Sep 21, 2001 11:28 am

I hope it improves. It should.

TonyBurr

Fri Sep 21, 2001 11:40 am

I flew US today PHL-FLL; FLL-PHL. The plane in both directions was about 3/4 filled. More people then I expected. Security was about the usual. In FLL they asked me to take off my shoes and put them through the machine because they beeped. No problem with that. Moral of that is: Make sure you do not have holes in your socks!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos