Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

D L X
Topic Author

DCA To Reopen

Sat Sep 29, 2001 2:23 am

According to Norman Mineta, DCA will be reopened soon. This was reported by MSNBC, and Good Morning America.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010928/ts/attacks_national_airport_2.html

dutchjet

RE: DCA To Reopen

Sat Sep 29, 2001 2:25 am

Lets hope so - DCA is so important for the city of Washington DC and the airlines, especially US Airways.

I am curious as to whether DCA, when reopened, will have any additional security measures beyond those already announced for airlines in general.

chepos

Sat Sep 29, 2001 2:26 am

Hopefully it will reopen soon indeed, this will surely help US Airways.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

contrails

Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:11 am

The skies around Arlington, VA, just aren't the same with DCA closed. I'll be glad to see it back in business again.

Flying Colors Forever!

aspen1

Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:18 am

i live in the watergate, and its really weid to have the airport closed. I am so use to having such a small transit time to the airport. Since the attacks I have had to travel out of Dulles which is really far away. I certainly hope DCA will reopen next week. I just got in from DC last night and I am going back on tuesday and I hope that the airport opens then. it would make my life so much easier.

ariegel

Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:26 am

I am fairly confident that half of the security measures put in place at national we will never hear about..

thomasphoto60

Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:30 am

I also welcome the re-opening of DCA, it is one of the few remaining classic 'Golden Age' airports still operating, and hopefully with its re-opening this will help not only US Airways but help to put some much needed confindence back into flying public.

That being said, I am one of those who is more than a little concerned over DCA's geography. As reports have stated and anyone who has ever flown from DCA knows, that once airborne you are merely seconds away from the White House, the Capitol building as well as other important goverment buildings and landmarks for this reason alone I would not be too surprised that local officials are looking at closing DCA altogether one day and in light of 9/11 that day may not be to far off, I have heard that Andrews is looking at as being a poosible replacement. Frankly it is just too tempting of a target.

Any thoughts ?

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

contrails

Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:50 am

Andrews AFB as a replacement? What would replace Andrews? Air Force 1 will have to be based close to DC, and there's not much real estate available for a new AF base.

I'd like to see a new National south of town somewhere, maybe between Quantico and Fredricksburg. It may seem a long ways, but in Europe many airports are well outside of town. Amtrak and VRE could take passengers into town.

Unfortunately building a new airport takes a long time, and we won't be seeing a new National for a good many years.

Flying Colors Forever!

thomasphoto60

Sat Sep 29, 2001 4:01 am

I thought the same thing when I heard that Andrews was being considered as a replacement. I believe that it was reported on CNN or CNBC possibly FOX (I normally try not to watch this network...but sometimes you just can't help it!) over a week ago.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Sat Sep 29, 2001 4:23 am

Will Gravelly be open also?

Sat Sep 29, 2001 5:12 am

How about a switch?

National could be become an air force base where AF1 will be based and fighter jets and stuff, and Andrews could become a commercial airport. How far is Andrews from Washington?

TWA

D L X
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2001 5:59 am

I hesitate to respond, but...

you won't be able to get a 747 off the ground at DCA. The runways are too short, and the apron is too narrow.

Sat Sep 29, 2001 8:26 am

Plus at least one of the approaches would be near city buildings and other places for a dude to pull out a gun/missile launcher and try to shoot at AF1 when it's landing.

TonyBurr

Sat Sep 29, 2001 12:20 pm

DCA will reopen because Congress uses it and loves the closeness of it. I can not imagine them going all the way out to Dulles!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos