Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

drew
Topic Author

aviator_ua

Thu Dec 03, 1998 1:43 am

Since you mentioned that you are or where a flight crew with UAL. What aircraft did you fly for them? And which routes have you flown for UAL?
If your not employed by them anymore what do you do now? And My last question is what do UAL pilots feel about the A319/320 aircraft? we have had lots of discussions about this aircraft and we kind of want an airline pilots perspective on the matter?

thank you

drew

BryanG

RE: aviator_ua

Thu Dec 03, 1998 7:40 am

Sounds like you flew the L-1011. Did you start in PanAm?

flyf15

Thu Dec 03, 1998 7:43 am

He mentioned that he flies the B767-300ER.

Just wanted to let you know that I have flown on a UAL B767-300ER (DEN-ORD) and I thought it was fine, but not enough leg room (cattle class).

Thu Dec 03, 1998 9:13 pm

Actually guys, Ive been with UAL my entire career.
After leaving the USN I went to work for UAL some 19 years ago. I was very fortunate in that my dad was a 27 year senior capt. with UAL before he passed away some years back. I wont lie, that got me the interview.
I still remember the captains board like it was yesterday. This is sort of an oral quizz by three senior captains that new hires must face. Its funny, some people were born to play an instrument, some born to be athletes but I was born to fly. I had no trouble at all during my prohbation. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed flying commercial so much I was able to advance to bigger aircraft without a hitch. Ive never flown the L1011 as a pilot but Ive always loved her. Her flight deck has a personality all her own. Not like todays machines which look generic. Back then, all flight decks had a personality. You could look at a flight deck and immediately know what aircraft she belonged to. Today, all EFIS flight decks look the same to me. No personality. I think what revolutionized the flight deck more than EFIS was the introduction of the FMS. This navigator/numbers cruncher and all around check airman made long haul navigating a snap. I remember going to training for its use and the older guys shaking their heads thinking it will never work. lol
Boy has aviation come a long way.
I do love my current type though. The 767/300/ER
is so smooth. Shes very responsive for a heavy aircraft
and very forgiving too. lol
Im just waiting for that 4th stripe now and Ill engage the auto flight controls to retirement. lol

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos