Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ILUV767
Topic Author

Step 1: The Shifting Of United Express

Fri Oct 12, 2001 5:28 pm

Hello everyone,

This marks the first step in the rebuilding/restructuring of United Airlines. In the course of the comming months, United Express is going to go through many changes. While I can not go into depth about some of them, I will post this news release for you. It looks as if Air Wisconsin is saying "cya" to DEN for the most part and SkyWest is saying "Howdy!"

-------------------------
United Express Transition Announced for Denver

St. George, UT, October 4, 2001 SkyWest, Inc. (Nasdaq : SKYW) - - United Express carrier SkyWest Airlines announced today plans to fly United Express routes between Denver and five communities previously served by United Express carrier Air Wisconsin, including:Bismarck, North Dakota; Durango, Colorado; Grand Junction, Colorado; Montrose, Colorado; and Rapid
City, South Dakota. Details on flight schedules will be released next week. These changes will
take effect on October 31, 2001.

The transition is part of United Airlines’ operational changes resulting from the September 11
terrorist attacks. The Air Wisconsin aircraft that previously served these communities will be
utilized elsewhere in the United Airlines route structure.

SkyWest’s United Express service features the Brasilia EMB-120 twin-engine aircraft. The 30-passenger
aircraft features single and paired seating for passenger comfort. With cruising speeds of over 340 MPH, overhead storage compartments, and flight attendant service, the
Brasilia ensures a fast, comfortable flight.

SkyWest Airlines plans to interview and utilize as many Air Wisconsin personnel as possible in order to smooth the transition. "We’re certainly interested in meeting with any local employees who are unable to relocate in Air Wisconsin’s system," said Steve Black, SkyWest’s Director of Stations. "Their intimate knowledge of the local communities will be vital to our success in establishing new relationships and strengthening existing ones."

SkyWest Airlines operates as United Express under a marketing agreement with United Airlines.
As United Express, SkyWest serves 44 cities with 600 daily flights along the West Coast and from United’s Denver hub. SkyWest Airlines is the nation’s largest independently operated regional carrier and has served Denver International Airport since October of 2000.

This press release, as well as past press releases and additional information on SkyWest Airlines, can be accessed on the SkyWest Internet site at http://www.skywest.com.
----------------------
I L U V 7 6 7

ILUV767
Topic Author

RE: Step 1: The Shifting Of United Express

Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:17 am

Opinions, Comments?

United_fan

RE: ILUV767

Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:20 am

It's a little off-subject,but-do you think we'll see CRJ service from IAD to ROC?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Chris weldy

"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

BA

Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:30 am

Interesting. The flights you mentioned above the Skywest will be taking over are currently being operated by Air Wisconsin CRJs or Dornier 328s.

So, any idea where the Air Wisconsin aircraft will go to? ORD?

Regards.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

charlieduke

Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:47 am

The question is, will the pilots even allow it? Contractually, UA is in violation of their most recent contract with the pilots. UA agreed to maintain a minimum of 451 narrow-body aircraft. Go below that number, and UA is contractually obliged to park the RJ’s. UA can always invoke “force majure,” but if they do I wouldn’t be too surprised to see the pilots walk.

ILUV767
Topic Author

Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:58 am

Charlineduke wrote:

The question is, will the pilots even allow it? Contractually, UA is in violation of their most recent contract with the pilots. UA agreed to maintain a minimum of 451 narrow-body aircraft. Go below that number, and UA is contractually obliged to park the RJ’s. UA can always invoke “force majure,” but if they do I wouldn’t be too surprised to see the pilots walk.

In theory you are correct, but we are in a state of war, and as such contract restrictions like that are now null and void. UA wont be parking any RJs.

BA wrote:
So, any idea where the Air Wisconsin aircraft will go to? ORD?

Yep...ORD. Although, from what I have heard, you will still see some AWAC routes in DEN, but for the most part, they will assume the ORD flying. ACA is still going to remain strong on the east coast.

I L U V 7 6 7

charlieduke

ILUV767

Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:55 am

ILUV-

Charline is my sister, I'm Charlie.  Big grin

Regarding your assertion that contract restrictions are now null and void…They are only null and void if one party to the contract invokes “force majure.” Although I have not seen the actual UA contract language, normally a force majure clause will contain language requiring the party invoking it (in this case UA) to make all reasonable efforts to live up to the contract. Unless I miss my guess, the first thing ALPA will do when UA invokes force majure will be to go to a Federal Judge asking for an injunction and file an unfair labor practice charge. The basic premise would be that UA has not made ANY reasonable efforts to live up to the contract. At that point, the fate of UA is no longer in their own hands.

Let me say before I get flamed that I am not advocating this approach. I just believe that UA is in for a fight that they may very well lose.

charlieduke

One More Thing

Sat Oct 13, 2001 9:12 am

The critical date in this little affair is Oct. 31. That is when the UA narrow-body count falls below 451.

BA

Sat Oct 13, 2001 9:37 am

ILUV767,

Okay thanks for the info.

Regards.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

mel

Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:46 pm

I think you will see the Dornier 328JET in UA Express livery on IAD-ROC before you see CRJs running the route. ACA is supposed to be taking delivery of the Dorniers in February 2002, and deploying them on routes such as IAD-EWR, IAD-RDU initially. I'm sure ROC will come along eventually.
NO URLS in signature

United_fan

RE: MEL

Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:42 am

thanks for the info

mel

RE: United_Fan

Sun Oct 14, 2001 8:36 am

Actually, I stand corrected. IAD-ROC will get one CRJ overnighting (in ROC) flight starting 31Oct01. The rest of the flights will remain as J41s.
NO URLS in signature

United_fan

RE: MEL

Tue Oct 16, 2001 9:47 am

I just looked at the new schedule and it says we'll get a CRJ (A first in Atlantic Coast livery here) from ORD !! Flight 7474 and as you said flight 7229 to IAD.

Tue Oct 16, 2001 10:47 am

This oughta make things interesting here, now Skywest will operate out of RAP as both UA Express to DEN and DL Connection to SLC.

Corey777

Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:53 am

Just to add my 2 cents....

AirWis and Skywest will also be shifting CRJ's to LAX to help pick up shuttle routes that UAL is cutting..the number of CRJ's being based there, has yet to be determined. Some of the routes out of LAX you can expect are LAX-PHX, LAX-SJC, LAX-OAK, LAX-TUS...As far as the pilot agreement with the UAL guys, they are currently working on a solution for the CRJ's. This is real sticky ground with everyone, due to costs must be cut somewhere, and if its not routes and retiring airplanes, they will flat out have to furlough pilots. Trust me, the pilots and management are fully aware of whats needed. Skywest is in a great position now. We are picking up routes from UAL left and right, as well with Delta. We start our new DFW hub operation at the first part of November. We have gotten new routes from SLC as well. Expect a heck of a lot more. Its very very good to be with skywest right now!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos