Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Air Force One

Sun Jul 11, 1999 6:14 am

I hope someone out there can provide some up to date info on Air Force One. I keep seeing references to a 747-400, yet everything I read discusses a 200 model. If it is a 744, then how old, special features, etc...

Would be grateful, as I hope to see the plane up close in the near future. Anyone flown on it? How about a web site with info? Anything would be helpful.

--Kevin Baker

flyf15

RE: Air Force One

Sun Jul 11, 1999 7:01 am

"Air Force One" is just a callsign, any USAF aircraft carrying the US President is called that, but I assume you are talking about the VC-25As. These are 2 Boeing 747-200s delivered in 1990. They feature a comprehenisve communications fit, presidential stateroom, conference room and accomidation for senior staffers, press, flight, and cabin crews, as well as many other features, including probably many classified ones.

Air Force One

Sun Jul 11, 1999 7:48 am

http://www.andrews.af.mil/Vc25a.htm

LanFan

Mon Jul 12, 1999 3:27 am

Yes, its a 200 model. I read that it only has like 2 original parts. They are speculated to of have costed more than what the taxpayers paid but Boeing picked up the slack to have the prestige of carrying Slick Willy and Pres. Hillary.

Jay
MIA

JETLAG

Jay

Mon Jul 12, 1999 3:46 am

Except for the fact that it was built for Bush.

Regards,
Jetlag

SierraAir

Mon Jul 12, 1999 11:02 am

The VC-25A (Air Force One) is almost a 747-400 except the fact that is has a 747-200 airframe. It has all of the features of a 747-400. It has the latest cockpit instruments as well as a few military items. It also features the General Electric CF6-80 engines of the 747-400. It also has the ability to be refueled in mid-flight, although that feature has yet to be used. It has the ability to deploy counter measures against missiles and has the ability to withstand the pulse of a nuclear weapon. It has satillite communications that are so advanced, it could contact the space shuttle or any place on Earth. Hope this helps. Brian

Mon Jul 12, 1999 11:12 am

Does is have the same wingspan without the winglets like a 744, or just a 747 Classic ones?

Rooz

Mon Jul 12, 1999 12:17 pm

Why didn't the government just get a -400? It has the bigger UD.

Mon Jul 12, 1999 12:25 pm

They don't nees the extra room on top, that will just increase weight.

The top is just for communications only, not including the cockpit,

Rooz

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos