Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

artsyman
Topic Author

What Do You Hope The Cause Of Today Was?

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:05 am

Today was a sad day for so many reasons, and while everyone is speculating what the cause was, I can't help but feel that the Government and the airlines are hoping it was an accident. If this proves to be another terrorist incident, it will be the end of the airlines, therefore I think the Government will do everything in their power for it not to have been.

I am not a conspirist, and have no interest in that line of thinking, so don't go there with this thread

Jer

redngold

RE: What Do You Hope The Cause Of Today Was?

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:06 am

I hope that it is something easily explained and proven, so that the conspiracy theorists and doubters don't have anything to go on.

My preferred explanation: massive bird strike/ingestion.

redngold
Up, up and away!

LAX

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:13 am

You wrote: "...it will be the end of the airlines..."

That statement seems quite extreme.

What makes you think EVERY airline would automatically fail if it turns out it WAS terrorism?

Don't forget .... America is the "Bounce Back Capital Of The World!"  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

lubcha132

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:14 am

i hope it was birdstrike too. as long as it wasn't Larry or Big.

spacecadet

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:18 am

Massive birdstrike seems unlikely to have caused the tail to fall off (intact, mind you, and undamaged) a mile away from the main crash site. This is a real mystery; the plane seems to have simply fallen apart on takeoff. I'm hoping it was an accident, but I personally can't think of any sequence of failures that would have caused the type of debris pattern we've seen (both engines fell off individually and landed in separate areas, vertical fin fell off in the water a mile away).
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

jmc1975

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:19 am

Why do you all hope what the cause of today's crash is?????? Try explaining this thread to the families that lost loved ones today. Let's all wait until the facts some out.

tsully

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:26 am

I heard on the news that witnesses claimed, "part of the wing broke off and hit the tail which in turn broke off". I find this difficult to believe because a wing doesn't just "break off". Also, that wouldn't explain the engine separation and gaping hole in the side of the cowling.

Who knows at this point... We'll just wait and see.
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

Super Em

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:37 am

Well there are alot of conflicting reports. Let's just wait and see the outcome. But deep down in my heart I believe it was sabotage. Call me a conspirist if you want but planes don't fall apart like that.

artsyman
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:44 am

I find it annoying for petty comments about the families and my supposed offence to them. I dont believe that any of you feel any more upset than I over this. I was a walking zombie for most of the day, and have endless sympathy for the families and all involved, but this isnt about that, I do believe that I am allowed to express opinions and emotions other than condolances.

In regards to my comments about the airline industry as a whole, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that the industry is in a fragile state at the moment, and another breach of security while is it supposed to be very high, would not lend to public confidence in the airline industry as a whole.

I do have very close ties to many people in the industry and am well aware of the realities of the state of the industry.

I get tired of the people piping in with "what about the families?", I am full of sadness for them, but when I walk into a restaurant and ask for dinner, do they shout at me for not thinking about the familes ?, back off, we are all trying to deal with this as best as we can

Jer

CX Flyboy

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:44 am

Pictures on TV showed the tail floating around in the water. Apart from the rudder, it looked fairly intact with little visible damage to the leading edge of it, suggesting that it was not hit by the wing, or parts of the wing.

FlyBoeing

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:45 am

Like everyone here knows, planes don't just break up like that. There's a high probability of foul play in light of Northern Alliance military success and the failure of the anthrax attacks to kill that many people. If you were one of Bush's "evildoers", you'd want something high profile.

Hijacking planes is relatively difficult now with sky marshals and empowered passengers and everything. And you'd probably get shot out of the sky anyway.

If you were trained by the mudjehedin, you'd probably know how to use the Stinger. That said, nobody in Long Island saw any smoke trails so that method of attack was probably not used, although it is likely since the plane most likely was not at a very high altitude.

I figure that the bad guys infiltrated airport security and bombed the plane and made sure that it came down over land.

Aussiemite

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:46 am

rats in the fusalage

IMissPiedmont

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:50 am

A bad dream.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

jmc1975

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:56 am

It's ok to speculate on what the cause of the crash was, but to "hope" what the cause of the crash was is very distastful and insulting to those who are affected by this tragedy.

redngold

RE: JMC1975

Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:52 pm

We don't hope for the crash, dude. We hope for a decent explanation, something that will help all of the affected people have some type of closure.

redngold
Up, up and away!

Trvlr

Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:59 pm

I second IMissPiedmont's comment...

But if I had to choose one reason that I'd like to see be the cause of this accident, I'd have to go with a mechanical failure caused by an inherent problem on the A300. Depressing, but true.

Aaron G.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos