Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

God Is My Co-pilot .....

Thu Nov 22, 2001 1:47 am

We have heard this expression all too often. But why is God the Co-Pilot? Is it because some pilots think they are God? Most pilots have worked hard and sacrificed all they have to get to sharp end. And the airline has entrusted them with a machine worth millions. In some cases an error by the pilot could even mean the end of the company. So, yes, the job carries a lot of weight. But does this make the man on the left a God?

carmy

RE: God Is My Co-pilot .....

Thu Nov 22, 2001 1:49 am

I'm not an aeroplane pilot, but God will always be there for me if I was. He'll be the one guiding me. No doubt about it!  Big thumbs up

GoAllegheny

Thu Nov 22, 2001 2:29 am

Don't know the origin, but the internet is full of such information. Try Yahoo. I have always interpreted it to reflect a spiritual humbleness on the part of pilots (at least those who believe in God) who believe that, even though they are largely in control of large machines worth millions of dollars, and responsible for hundreds of lives at any one time, God also is with them and is in ultimate control, at least in some ways that are beyond our comprehension. I don't think it means any disrespect at all to co-pilots.

Avilitigator

Thu Nov 22, 2001 2:40 am

According to cockpit voice recorders, the co-pilots on the doomed EgyptAir 767 and the United (?) 737 rudder malfunction (I think in Colorado?) both called to their respective gods when they knew they were going down. I would venture to say that most pilots will have similar reactions in similar circumstances.

Another irony is that the terrorist pilots on September 11 probably believe that their god was their co-pilot. Just an observation before this thread turns into a "which god is better on an airplane...."

cedarjet

Thu Nov 22, 2001 2:48 am

The most usual last word on a CVR transcript is actually "shit".

And Carmy, actually it'll be ATC guiding you.

Finally (and I said this here the other day as well, can't remember what it was about), if god wanted jets to fly he would have given them propellers.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

cricri

A Possible Answer...

Thu Nov 22, 2001 2:50 am

Or maybe it comes from the famous joke : what's the difference between God and a Pilot? Well, God never pretended to be a Pilot !  Big grin

Ndebele

Thu Nov 22, 2001 2:50 am

Maybe most pilots call to their god... but not all: Remember that PSA 727 accident? When the airplane went down burning, the co-pilot shouted "Mum, I love you!"

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2001 2:53 am

This post is not about the spiritual aspect of the pilot. It is not even a religious post to start with. The subject is: Is the Captain a God on his plane? I have heard of cases, on asian airlines, where the first officer even carries the Captains flight bag to and from the aircraft.

heavymetal

Thu Nov 22, 2001 2:55 am

From what I understand, the pilot of EgyptAir started calling to his God well before the plane started going down...or had anything wrong with it.

IrishFlyer

Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:25 am

LOL

~IrishFlyer~

VirginFlyer

Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:29 am

Hmmm - I would more say 'God is my Nav' - He shows the way to go, but its up to you wether you go there or not, and if you screw up, you can't just shove the blame onto Him.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

braniff

Thu Nov 22, 2001 4:27 am

Pan Am pilots used to refer to themselves as "SkyGods" as chronicled by the book of the same name "SkyGods: The Fall of Pan Am" by Robert Gandt.

Not sure if this was more of an ego thing with Pan Am, but I just wanted to mention it  Smile

-Ant
Believe it!

GoAllegheny

Thu Nov 22, 2001 4:50 am

LMML 14/32: Your question was "Why is God the co-pilot," not "Is the Pilot God?" To elaborate on the saying, here's a clip from the Internet about WWII US fighter pilot Bob Scott:

Robert "Bob" Scott wrote the book "God is My Co Pilot". With the fiery combat "Bob" Scott encountered, he certainly had a guardian angel.

After an attack on a Japanese troop position, "Bob" was wounded and had scrap metal removed from his butt by the flight medical officer. The doctor made the comment to "Bob", "With your luck, God must be your co pilot." Laying on his stomach as the doctor dug into his flesh for more fragments, he knew right there that the doctor was right! And within months "Bob" was compelled to write his famous book which was made into a movie within one year after the books release!

Having said that - yes, many pilots think that they can do no wrong, and must be obeyed absolutely. Either the NTSB or Delta Airlines - or maybe even another company or organization - did a report on KAL which underscored the deferential attitude of the other crew to the captains, even as the captains were flying the plane into the ground or otherwise screwing up.

skyhawk

Thu Nov 22, 2001 5:33 am

I know this wasn't meant to be a religious discussion, but I grew up hearing this statement and knowing a different definition. We as human beings have an ability to guide our own lives, this right being given us by God, making us the "pilots" of our lives. By believing in and trusting in Him, you put Him in the right seat, thereby making Him your co-pilot.

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2001 6:05 am

>>>GoAllegheny: My question is really two in one: Why is God the Co-pilot? Is it because some pilots think THEY are God? This is a case where the written word does not convey what the intention of the writer.
But you seem to have grasped the context. As your last paragraph shows, which is exactly what I had in mind. Some pilots think they can do no wrong and must be obeyed absolutely and without question. The attitude of one such Captain contributed to the Trident crash in LHR in the 70's. Such pilots carry this air of superiority even out of the cockpit.

>>>Skyhawk: it's always a pleasure to read your contributions. You touched a good point. Some pilots do not accept "God as their co-pilot" because they are so full of themselves. The phrase in quotes also implies other persons opinions and the dignity that everybody deserves. I remember a Captain years back who would greet the crew by the words "Who is the galley slave?" What do you think this chap's reaction would have been had somebody entered the cockpit and asked "Who is the chauffeur?"
Bye the way, I went to the Lockerbie Garden of rememberance of PanAm103 and I tell you that place will make a christian of the most staunch atheist.

jared

Thu Nov 22, 2001 7:25 am

I have a CD by the band God is my Co-Pilot. It is interesting music.

skyhawk

Thu Nov 22, 2001 7:44 am

Hi LMML14/32-I remember once a 747 Captain coming down the stairs(I was working the F/C galley my favorite position on the plane) and he asked if there was any coffee. I told him, "I don't know the pot is just there(pointing to the coffee maker)." At which point he reached up and found the pot empty. Not really upset he asked how to make a new pot, he got the education on where the coffee bags were stored and how to get the pot started. The next time I flew with him, I found he had remembered, because he had a pot of coffee waiting for me when I got on. Pretty good for a "Sky God" don't you think?

BTW-PanAm pilots were also called the "good guys" because they wore white hats(think about old cowboy westerns where the good guys wore white and the bad guys wore black).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos