Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ironminds
Topic Author

US Gets Tough On Pax Manifests - About Time!

Tue Nov 27, 2001 2:22 pm

I don't know why the US wasn't doing this a long time ago...looks like they are finally gonna play hardball on this issue. (Read far enough, by the way, and you'll see a great bit of deflection by America's great pals, the Saudis...)

-----
U. S. Pressures Foreign Airlines Over Manifests

By ROBERT PEAR

ASHINGTON, Nov. 26 — The United States has told Saudi, Russian, Chinese and other foreign airlines that their passengers arriving in this country will be put through extremely rigorous, lengthy searches, starting Thursday, if the airlines did not provide information needed to identify potential terrorists.

The new aviation security law, signed by President Bush on Nov. 19, requires foreign carriers to cooperate.

Under the law, airlines had two months to begin the electronic transmission of passenger lists for all flights to the United States. But the commissioner of customs, Robert C. Bonner, sent letters to the airlines last week saying that they must comply earlier, by Thursday, or else customs inspectors will search "all hand-carried and checked baggage on every flight arriving in the United States." The searches could add hours to the clearance process for overseas travelers.

Mr. Bonner sent the ultimatum to 58 carriers, including Saudi Arabian Airlines, Royal Jordanian Airlines, Pakistan International Airlines, Ethiopian Airlines, Aeroflot and Air China, Beijing's main international carrier. China Eastern, based in Shanghai, and China Southern, based in Guangdong Province, also received the letters. Mr. Bonner said any delay could put security at risk.

The Customs Service said it had received hardly any responses. A spokesman for the Jordanian airline said it would comply. Other carriers said they did not know much about the new requirement or were still studying it.

American officials have said 15 of the 19 hijackers whose planes crashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon in September were from Saudi Arabia. For years, the United States has been trying to get the Saudi airline to provide passenger manifests in advance of flights.

Indeed, for more than a decade, federal officials have been encouraging airlines to participate in the automated system used to compare biographical data on international air travelers with lists of suspected terrorists and criminals.

The lists are compiled by law enforcement and intelligence agencies. The computer system, operated by the Customs Service, is known as the Advance Passenger Information System. Customs officers used the system to check the names of 57 million travelers who entered the United States on 387,000 flights last year. Those passengers accounted for 85 percent of the 67 million air travelers arriving in this country.

More than 90 carriers have been voluntarily supplying data on passengers. Airlines collect the information at the time of departure and send it to the Customs Service and the Immigration and Naturalization Service while the flight is en route to this country.

The Customs Service checks the names against several databases, including the Interagency Border Inspection System and the files of the National Crime Information Center, maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Suspects can be arrested or pulled aside for further questioning after they land in the United States.

Under the new aviation security law, airlines no longer have a choice. For each passenger and crew member, they must provide the full name, date of birth, citizenship, sex, the number of the passport and the country where it was issued, the visa number or green card number and "such other information" as American officials deem necessary to ensure air safety.

"This information will be used by the Customs Service to improve air security by, among other things, identifying potential terrorists seeking to enter the United States," Mr. Bonner said in his letter.

"We recognize that the vast majority of travelers are not a threat to the United States," Mr. Bonner said. "However, we believe that in the wake of Sept. 11, international flights pose a serious national security risk to the United States if carriers do not provide comprehensive and accurate data."

Senator Byron L. Dorgan, Democrat of North Dakota, said he found it appalling that some airlines had refused to provide the data until they were required to do so. Some of the airlines have said they do not have the necessary computer software.

Wanda Warner, a spokeswoman for the International Air Transport Association, a trade group for the airline industry, said, "I don't know of any airline that could do this and chooses not to do so." She said some airlines might be unable to meet the Customs Service deadline because "they don't have the equipment to do it."

Saudi Arabian Airlines and the Saudi Embassy declined to comment on the new requirement. A spokesman for the Saudi Embassy said last month that his country was not in any hurry to sign up for the passenger information system.

"At this time," the spokesman said, "hundreds of Saudi citizens are being detained and questioned with regard to the hijackings. A lot of them are innocent people. That number would probably quadruple if we shared advance information on air passengers with the United States."

William O. Connors, marketing manager for Royal Jordanian Airlines, said his company had promised today to provide the United States with data on passengers arriving in this country.

Mr. Connors said Jordanian airline executives had signaled their intention in a memorandum faxed to the federal government.

"Airlines don't look very good" if they are repeatedly accused of failing to cooperate, Mr. Connors said, adding: "The U.S. government came to us and said, `Will you join the Advance Passenger Information System?' It left us with no recourse."

Shahid Khan, marketing manager in the New York office of Pakistan International Airlines, said he was aware of the new requirement, but did not know if his company was providing the required information.

Egypt Air, Kuwait Airways, Olympic Airways and LTU, a German charter airline, agreed to participate in the passenger information system on Oct. 31.

OO-AOG

RE: US Gets Tough On Pax Manifests - About Time!

Tue Nov 27, 2001 2:34 pm

Welcome in the 'Country of freedom'...
Falcon....like a limo but with wings

Tue Nov 27, 2001 3:37 pm

OO-AOG you mean "the Land of the Free"! Big grin  Insane Big grin

Ironminds
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2001 7:55 pm

OO-AOG, was that a cute attempt at being ironic? I'm not sure if you got the memo, but freedom is not a suicide pact.

airsicknessbag

Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:00 pm

bullyism at its best - if you don´t want those people in your country, don´t issue them visa - it´s not the airline who admits people in the US. If they want to screen immigrants, they can do so in the process of issuing the visa.

Daniel Smile

LJ

Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:12 pm

Deoas anybody know which 58 airlines (apart from those already mentioned) the US means?

Regards
Laurens

mandala499

Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:17 pm

This is hilarious... USA land of the free, but getting in and out will soon be harder than the Soviet Union! *kidding*

Anyway, Agree with Airsicknessbag, the govt. is just going to pass the buck to airlines in who to blame for terrorists entering USA. When terrorists get visas, their names are transmitted to APIS(s), it'll pass through coz it'll go through the same process as the visa screening. Then when they realise this, the govt. would simply say... "the (foreign) airlines should have known they were terrorists!"

If they were terrorists, they could hijack the plane in mid atlantic and dive into some place in USA!

Soon foreigners will decide to go somewhere else for holidays, and business deals with Americans will be signed on a third country and not USA... Not a good time to own hotels in USA then I presume  Smile

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Skystar

Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:33 pm

What's the purpose of seeking a visa then? The US charges foreigners fees to issue visas, it should do the work, not the airlines.

Surely that would be more efficient?

Cheers,

Justin

eal401

Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:43 pm

Surely you mean "Land of the Free - Home of the Brave?" Oh, no Bruce Willis lives there  Smile

PLL-LOT

Wed Nov 28, 2001 6:59 am

Yet another opportunity for people who know nothing about the US to expound on its vast abuses to freedom. We don't want September 11th to happen again, and it won't. By any means necessary. I'm sure if this had happened in your countries, you'd be singing a different tune.

Later.

Ironminds
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2001 8:49 am

PII-lot -- Finally, someone who gets it. Thank you.

777236ER

Wed Nov 28, 2001 8:52 am

You can stop another September 11th by not allowing any foreign visitors into the US too. Or electronically tag everyone. Or tap phones. Or bomb the rest of the world into submission. ANY means nessecary?!
Your bone's got a little machine

Wed Nov 28, 2001 8:56 am

Most european citizens don't need a visa. However for years you have had to answer those stupid questions on that piece of green paper when you fly to the USA. Including "Are you a terrorist" and "Are you a drug trafficker". It even says "If you answer yes you may be denied entry to the United States".

I'm not joking either. What I've mentioned is fact.

Jj

Wed Nov 28, 2001 9:02 am

When i moved to the USA without my parents some 2 and a half years ago, I was asked more than the triple of that stupid questions  Smile

TonyBurr

Wed Nov 28, 2001 1:05 pm

Too bad if the airlines/people don't like the requirement of submitting a list!. If the airlines don't like it, tell them to "take a stand" and stop f;ying here. I am sure the USA is their most lucrative route. Bet they will decided to comply.

Most of our forefathes came through Ellis Island or th elike. Right, no visas, but no entrance into the country before the actually saw you.

Obviously many or the people who have mokced this requirement have NOT traveled to other countries which have strict entrance requirements, have you? Arm chair critics.

Good going Iron!

N1993R

Wed Nov 28, 2001 1:19 pm

Pre-clearance is a GOOD thing for the innocent Pakistanis, Saudis and Iranians who might otherwise be targeted by Customs or the INS.

I've entered the US on a foreign passport more times than most of the pre-pubescents here have gotten laid and I've never had a problem.

VonRichtofen

Wed Nov 28, 2001 1:20 pm

Some of you guys say it's bullying and that they should be caught when applying for visas. Well every system has loopholes, or ways of getting around it. This Pax manifest system will add another level of security for a potential terrorist or criminal to have to get through. The more obstacles, the less chance of them succeeding. Why take a chance? Why do so many of you always bash the U.S. every chance you get? Jesus.

Regards,
Kris

P.S. I'm not American, I'm Canadian, and I fully support the U.S. as do most Canadians.

Ironminds
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2001 1:25 pm

Thanks VonRichtofen. Another point is that if you aren't entering on a passport that requires a visa (i.e. British) this allows time for cross-checking various databases, etc. I have to say I'm surprised how many people are against this measure!

PLL-LOT

Wed Nov 28, 2001 1:29 pm

I totally agree, Kris. I find it really disappointing and sick that people can be so cynical about what happened in September. Lax security has to be amended. I've been through very heavy security leaving Brazil to come to the US before, asked the same "stupid" questions--but by Brazilians, not Americans. I can tell you that I felt very safe flying. Obviously, a lot of these armchair critics have not been through security in other countries.

VonRichtofen

Wed Nov 28, 2001 1:39 pm

Good points Ironminds and Pll-lot. I don't understand why anybody with nothing to hide would criticize this system. It's a damn good idea if you ask me! Do these people think it's discriminatory? What's their problem with it? They act like the new security measure is a strip search of everyone with a cavity check too.

Better safe than sorry.

Kris.

transswede

Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:11 pm

Has everyone forgotten (or are most of you unaware) that there is no Visa requirement for citizens of many countries?

From almost all countries in Europe, for example, anyone can just buy a ticket to fly to the US, and then jump on the plane. That's it. No checking.

I don't have a problem with this measure at all...

DCA-ROCguy

Amen PII-Lot!

Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:52 pm

This move is welcome and way overdue. Every government's first obligation is to protect the lives of its people. Passenger manifests are a vital piece of a larger puzzle of national security. Freedom is indeed not a suicide pact.

No one with nothing to hide has anything to fear from this vital and reasonable reporting requirement.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

airsicknessbag

Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:14 pm

>>>I'm sure if this had happened in your countries, you'd be singing a different tune.

"This" HAS happened in our countries for decased - the US was apparently caught off guard, being subjected to terrorism on their own soil basically for the first time. It´s understandable you´re overreacting. Our countries have been fighting terrorism for years, and quite effectively in most cases.

>>>Too bad if the airlines/people don't like the requirement of submitting a list!. If the airlines don't like it, tell them to "take a stand" and stop f;ying here. I am sure the USA is their most lucrative route. Bet they will decided to comply.

And exactly that attitude IS bullyism - you need me more than I need you, so better comply with my orders or shove it.

>>>Obviously many or the people who have mokced this requirement have NOT traveled to other countries which have strict entrance requirements, have you? Arm chair critics.

Well, but these countries don´t credit themselves with being the best and most free country on the face of the earth. An open society does indeed have shortcomings, does that mean a dictatorship is better?

>>>Another point is that if you aren't entering on a passport that requires a visa (i.e. British) this allows time for cross-checking various databases, etc. I have to say I'm surprised how many people are against this measure!

If the US feel that British citizens are such a threat they should make visa compulsory for them. Which would of course make the Brits take the same measure.

>>>Obviously, a lot of these armchair critics have not been through security in other countries.

Obviously you were too busy fighting the Viet Nam war to see how Germany reacted to the domestic terrorist threat in the 70s - security to a point we were close to becoming a police state; and I must say I´m glad Germany won her war on terrorism without becoming a police state - let´s see how the US will fare. And I wish her all the best in this undertaking, just to make that clear.

>>>I don't understand why anybody with nothing to hide would criticize this system. It's a damn good idea if you ask me! Do these people think it's discriminatory? What's their problem with it?

And I don´t understand why anybody with nothing to hide can possible be against preventive phone tapping, national DNA databases and random searches of houses. It would enhance national security no doubt.

>>>Passenger manifests are a vital piece of a larger puzzle of national security. Freedom is indeed not a suicide pact.

If your immigration services are not able to define whether a potential immigrant is a threat or not, they do have a major problem.

Daniel Smile

cv640

Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:36 pm

Hopefully this will bring a change that is long over do in the US security. The toughest problem for the US right now though is with the thousands of secondary airports. For example teh Muscle Shoals, Paducahs, Owensboro, these small airports usually only have 2-3 people involved with everything from rental cars, to check in, to airport security. Once you get through these it won't matter how many fancy machines you put up in the major airports cause these people have already been screened. I don't know how to fix this problem, too expensive to hire private companies here and federalizing them and sending them to all these little airports will be tough and expensive.

airsicknessbag

Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:54 pm

Last time I checked there weren´t that many flights from Qandahar (or even London, England, England for that matter) to Muscle Shoal, Paducah or Owensboro.

Daniel Smile

cv640

Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:47 am

No, you are right, but if someone got on at any of these places they would never go through security again and could enter any US airport they choose too. I believe one group out of Boston did catch a flight out of a smaller airport, not sure of this. Once you enter any of these though you are cleared again, besides customs if international, but you are now in a secure area.

heavymetal

Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:58 am

you need me more than I need you, so better comply with my orders or shove it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

On September 10th we were arguably one of the most open and accomodating societies on Earth. How were we repaid? By mass murder.

Now we're still ready to be accomodating and accepting...the scumbags didnt change that part of us....but if you want to come here, you'll do as we say. If it costs us tourism dollars, oh well. Business trade, tough.

Our country will do whatever we have to to make sure a morning like Tuesday, September 11th never happens again. Period.

PLL-LOT

Thu Nov 29, 2001 1:39 am

Airsickness, I'm well aware of the threat that the Rote Armee Fraktion and Baader Meinhof posed to West Germany during the 1970s. I don't see how that elicited your comment about Vietnam--I could just as easily touch upon the sensitive subject of Germany's less than illustrious past.

I commend Germany on quelling terrorism in the 1970s and 1980s without becoming a police state. However, it's silly to suggest the US is becoming a police state simply because it's requiring passenger manifests from non-US airlines. That will not happen here. We're just taking measures to protect ourselves.

Also, it's true--the Boston flight was hijacked by men who entered the security system through Portland, ME, a much smaller airport--for the very reason they believed security was lax.

eg777er

Thu Nov 29, 2001 2:01 am

CV640 if that really is the case with minor US airports then its a worrying state of affairs indeed.

For example, all transfer passengers and bags at Heathrow are security screened and searched, no matter what airport they have come from.

Maybe the US Govt should come to the UK and see how airport security is done?

777236ER

Thu Nov 29, 2001 2:24 am

I agree with Eg777er. ALL BAGS IN THE UK ARE SCREENED! Wheter they're connecting flights, domestic flights, whatever. Sure, it'll take a LOT of money and time to change the current US system, but it's worth it. After Lockerbie, UK security is some of the best general security in the world.
Your bone's got a little machine

Andreas

Ironminds And Pll-Lot

Thu Nov 29, 2001 2:37 am

I live in Germany and we have a very sad tradition of terrorism in our country that started 30 years ago and I remember some of the measures that were taken in order to prevent acts of terrorism to happen again.
Did it work? No, it didn't. It's just a little show of activism, so that people see that something is done. One of you guys said "sept. 11 won't happen again", well I tell you "wake up, you're dreaming", life is here and not in a silly Hollywood movie. Obviously you don't know what you're talking about.
Best Regards and start praying sept. 11 won't happen again.
Andreas
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

Andreas

Btw: Just For Understanding..

Thu Nov 29, 2001 2:46 am

...I don't have a problem with the pax manifests, just remember, it will add not a bit of safety, but will help to create the impression of false safety.
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

Ironminds
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2001 3:17 am

I think it won't contribute to false safety if they indeed arrest or send home foreigners who have terrorist connections. In fact, I think it's high time America also stopped issuing visas to people who happily come here to take advantage of our system while also wishing the U.S. were eliminated or put under sharia law -- but that's another story. The comments from muslim students in America would've gotten them thrown in jail in their own countries were they speaking of their own regimes that way.

As far as Europeans fighting terrorism, they're fine when it's domestic, but seem more than happy to make Israel accomodate the PLO or not extradite (thanks, SPain!) terrorists because they oppose the death penalty. With friends like these...

But, finally, I don't know how anyone could oppose this. It is NOT invasive and seems perfectly reasonable. How this equates to America turning into a "police state" I have no idea.

PLL-LOT

Thu Nov 29, 2001 3:49 am

I don't think anyone believes this is a "silly Hollywood movie." It just gets very irritating to hear the cynical comments about US security. That is all this is about--prevention, or the attempt to prevent terrorism. None of us can predict the future, we can only prepare ourselves to handle what comes our way. Act, not pray.

Thu Nov 29, 2001 7:06 am

It's strange how the people who are quickest to describe the USA as the most free country on earth are the ones who have never lived in a truly free society. Those Americans who have lived in other free societies are the first to say that although the USA is comparatively free, it's citizens still have many freedoms denied to them which are granted to citizens in many other countries.

USA.
No legal entitlement to paid holidays (vacation)
No legal entitlement to healthcare (40% of Americans don't have insurance)
No legal entitlemant to life

EU
Legal minimun of 20 days paid holidays (vacation)
Absolute right to life therefore no death penalty
Right to healthcare

Freedom is not just about being able to speak freely but it's about social justice.

Ironminds
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2001 7:31 am

Parra --

This is quickly running off into non-av territory, but in fact there is less freedom when things like the benefits you mention are mandated by government. Nice on one level for the employee, but it makes it harder to employ people if you're an employer.

Freedom in the truest sense is about negative rights - not being interfered with - versus positive rights - rights to stuff - because when people are required to receive things, someone has to pay, whether in taxes or higher prices.

(Also, until you're born, you have no right to life at all in eithe Europe or the U.S.)

Thu Nov 29, 2001 8:12 am

Ironminds. Yes it does make it harder for employers but then goverbments exist to represent the interests of their constituents, not big business. A case in point is how the major US airlines fired thousands of worker within hours of 9/11. How did they know what the long term effect would be at such short notice. Then the government gave them billions of dollars. We are told that it is a patriotic duty to travel, go shopping or whatever. Is it not the patriotic duty of big business to to not fire 10's of thousands of people for short term economic gain though.

TonyBurr

Thu Nov 29, 2001 1:18 pm

Parra

It was not just US Airlines who laid off employees. Think you should check your facts. BA laid off employees very quickly.

You are right that some European countries have free (not really, since they pay higher taxes) health insurance, but from friends throughout Europe, try to get medical care!!!!! It is free, if you can get it. Interesting that more and more private insurance companies and coverage are springing up in Europe and private doctors and hospitals.

As Iron said u are getting out of Ariline discussion.

Freedom is more than 20 paid holidas a year! I am not sure how to define your understanding of "freedom".

Fri Nov 30, 2001 2:56 am

TonyBurr:

You obviously believe in the motto "The bigger the truck, the bigger the flag". You just don't get it do you. Freedom is more than being able to stick a flag in your car window. I am from the UK and arrived here in the USA about 5 months ago. For your information my background is in healthcare and I have worked in the Government run healthcare sector and the largest private healthcare comapny in the UK. The private company is always struggling. As for taxes, my CA taxes seem about the same as the ones I paid in the UK. Have you ever lived in another country? I bet not.

PLL-LOT

Fri Nov 30, 2001 3:02 am

Freedom means different things to different people. We all have differing versions of what it means to us. This thread was about having airlines who fly here furnish Customs with a passenger manifest in order to help us try to avoid another attack. Nothing is going to be foolproof. And I don't see the reason for all the negativity in this thread. The US is not the only country that asks for manifests.

Why has this become a shouting match across the Atlantic about healthcare?

Ironminds
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:09 am

Bringing this back around to aviation, they're doing a report on US Customs at JFK searching all pax from a Saudi flight because they wouldn't give up the manifest before landing. And among other people agreeing with the policy was a Swissair VP who said it made perfect sense and that transmitting the manifests was not an onerous requirement in the least. I guess not all Europeans think this is a horrendous idea, no matter what their differences with American healthcare policy may be.

The Saudis, homeland of Osama bin Laden and 15 of the 19 hijackers meanwhile, issued a whiny, double-speaking statement.

Ironminds
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:15 am

Sorry, I meant to say "doing a report on the local news". Apologize for the unclarity.

jbangert

Fri Nov 30, 2001 12:57 pm

Great! Does it work also the other way round, i.e. for US airlines flying passengers (some of which may be terrorists) to foreign destinations: do European countries for example require US airlines flying from the US to supply their authorities with particulars of their passengers? I have no problem with a balanced system but would resent a unilateral imposition by US authorities of such a requirement.

Cyprus-Turkish

Fri Nov 30, 2001 1:45 pm

It is time that US reconsiders its foreign policies and accept that it is not the only country in this world.

airnewzealand

Fri Nov 30, 2001 1:59 pm

Anyone know the airlines??

Cheers
mikey

NAACREW

Fri Nov 30, 2001 2:24 pm

How come so many of you guys are being so defensive about this rule? If a person has nothing to hide, what's the big deal? And from what I heard on the news tonight, the majority of pax were pleased with this new rule. Including your middle eastern pax.

And the US has already told the airlines who dont comply, that their landing rights will be taken away from them.

Jbangert: What a dopey comment!

Ironminds: I like your style!

NAACREW

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos