Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

keesje
Topic Author

YES, I Prefer A Middle Seat! (on A Night Flight)

Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:23 am

Brothers & Sisters,

2 months ago I was on a 2-5-2 Malaysian 777, on a long night flight KUL-AMS. I had one of the aisle seats of the 5 seater.

I would rather have had that middle seat. A couple sitting next to me had to get out at least 2 times each during the night, I had to wake/stand up at least 8 times (also when one of them returned back to her/his seat).

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Jason Milligan

Great PTV, legroom and crew but no sleep, on this 22 hours trip (that started at Brisbane). Wouldn't you prefer a middle over an aisle seat on a night flight, given the choice ?

Keesje
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Andreas

RE: YES, I Prefer A Middle Seat! (on A Night Flight)

Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:29 am

Depends on whether you're able to sleep or not during a flight. I am usually just dozing, so having to stand up is not that much of a problem for me. Afterwards I sit down and start dozing again. Besides I'm 1,90 m, and then you are glad if you can get up yourself and stretch your legs a few minutes.
btw: I've heard about that great legroom on Malaysian, even in coach class. So it is obviously true!
Regards
Andreas
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

daks

Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:33 am

Unfortunately being over 6"2 I'm one of those people who can't sleep on aeroplanes so the thoughts of a middle seat are horrible for me, if I'm given the choice I will always ask for an aisle (or window) seat . If I'm flying long haul I always try to book my seats well in advance and so far I've always been lucky.

nonrevman

Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:39 am

If you are talking about the middle seat in the block of 5, that is the single advantage of sitting there. No one will ever bother you to get up. Of course, if you have to get up, it involves waking two people up twice: once to get out and once to get in.

That said, I think the two worst seats in that configuration are the other two middle seats. Now, you carry the risk of having the middle person choose your side to get up. I have been on such flights before, and it is not fun. This is especially frustrating when you succeed in falling asleep and suddenly someone is jerking you awake to get up.

The best thing you can do is request an aisle seat well in advance or travel with someone and take the window.

9V-SPF

Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:41 am

Well, this is a good argument but I would definitely prefer an aisle or window seat because:

1) I usually can´t sleep anyway in Coach Class
2) I prefer being asked to stand up for someone else over having to wake up peole when I have to go somewhere myself
3) Simply more room at the aisle
4) View out of the window is always an argument, even on a night flight.

Regards,
Daniel

Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:22 am

I had 5 seats on a LHR-LAX flight, I slept on the floor for 9.5 hours out of the 10.5. It was very enjoyable!
Iain

covert

Tue Dec 11, 2001 4:28 am

well, if only i were to be the only person in that middle row, because i can turn those four seats into a bed. otherwise i wouldn't like it...
none

EGGD

Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:02 am

I slept on the floor for 9.5 hours out of the 10.5

What are you, a tramp or something?  Laugh out loud.

Seriously though, i'd prefer aisle seat in the middle row, or a window seat if i was located on one of the side rows.

Regards

Dan

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos