Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetBlue320
Topic Author

Why Don't Airlines Serve These Drinks

Tue Dec 25, 2001 10:32 pm

I know the topic is misleading, but why don't airlines serve SUNKIST Orange, or Minute Maid Orange Sodas? They only serve Coke, Diet, Sprite, Diet, or Pepsi, Diet, 7up, Diet. No Sunkist

RoyalDutch

RE: Why Don't Airlines Serve These Drinks

Tue Dec 25, 2001 10:36 pm

Yeah, and what about Root Beer?

jetBlue320
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2001 10:44 pm

Yeah, and what about Root Beer. Can't airlines serve more of a...VARIETY. Yeah, I know they are cost effective, but come on.

Sabena332

Tue Dec 25, 2001 10:51 pm

Come on guys, on flights within the USA most airlines offer a big choice of soft drinks. Last year I`ve flown with National Airlines from LAX to LAS, they had everything also my favorite "Mr. and Mrs. T".

By the way, Root Beer would be cool

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

RoyalDutch

Tue Dec 25, 2001 10:59 pm

I always fly back to the US, and hope that somehow there would have been a change in policy, and I can get a root beer on a domestic flight, but it never happens. At least everybody serevs Coke  Smile/happy/getting dizzy.

ripcordd

Wed Dec 26, 2001 1:23 am

They will if enough people email/write them. Thats what happen with AA they started serving pepsi after people wanted pepsi products. They also serve Diet Dr Pepper because enough people asked for it. They pay the same price for the soda per can no matter what kind it is

serge

Wed Dec 26, 2001 1:34 am

Horizon Air serves those delicious Chai tea drinks! Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm... But I think airlines should serve Pepsi too!  Big grin

Merry Christmas guys!

...Serge

Jason Seiple

Wed Dec 26, 2001 1:35 am

The drink carts are pretty packed as it is on many flights, and on some full flights they already run out of drinks. Just adding more variety means they can have less of each kind of drink. They'd run out more quickly and have to disappoint passengers. Plus there is the cost issue of being able to provide the extra inventory through the caterers...

FlyboyOz

Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:12 am

Where's cherry coca cola?
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

Thu Dec 27, 2001 2:58 am

Really Jason? With the airlines cutting food service, they can certinly store more drinks onboard. It would not be hard at all to add more drink options to the menu. If you gave me a stack of different sodas (More than 10 brands), I am sure I could find a way to store them in the cart. And FYI, the overhead bins are also being filled with extra drinks on less filled flights, to satisfy the passengers wants. You know nothing about Cabin Services. I hope you don't pursue a job in the airline catagory.

heedera380

Thu Dec 27, 2001 3:08 am

I think Continental has rootbeer, don't they? I think I asked for it once, but it wasn't A&W (maybe Hires?) so I didn't take it? Or maybe they just didn't have it?

Nevertheless, I have actually been pretty impressed by the varitey they offere, since as someone mentioned, their carts aren't THAT big, and are pretty crammed with Coke. I like a tonic with a lime wedge, and get it every time on Continental. They also have apple juice, tomato juice & bloody Mary mix, for those who want some type of fruit juice other than orange. But no Sunkist  Wink/being sarcastic

acidradio

Thu Dec 27, 2001 4:03 am

This may sound lame, but carrying extra stock of beverages does add extra weight. Although this is not a consideration on a sizeable aircraft, on a commuter prop it can make a difference. Recently, the FAA had a beef about the weight of ice placed in the ice bins on Saab 340's that I work with, as they are only certified to like 9 lbs. or something.

Different routes do have different demands. Some flight attendants I know who have been with the company for a while and know all their routes and the kind of people who fly them will ask for different numbers of beverages to better serve them (ie. extra hot coffee into colder areas, extra beer for "sportsman" flights, etc.).

Oh yeah and don't forget demand. Lets face it, most of the world will ask for a Pepsi or a Coke, which are both fairly basic soft drinks. Needless to say, that will usually be the most stocked airline beverage, along with their diet counterparts.

If you let the airlines know what you want through their customer service or customer affairs departments, that will often times get the wheels spinning to get some kind of new beverages on flights, especially if a number of people bring it up. I'm sure that's how we find all sorts of crazy things, for example Apple Cranberry on NW flights.

Oh, if you want to see a real-tie in (at least with Mesaba and I'm sure this goes to NW as well somehow with their close ties), check this out. Who runs the Board of Directors of Mesaba? Carl Pohlad. Who owns a large Pepsi bottling concern? Carl Pohlad.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

vngd4me

Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:02 am

Vanguard serves Barq's Root Beer. Sorry no Orange Soda.

jetBlue320
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:56 am

ARE THERE ANY AIRLINES WHO CAN GET ME SUNKIST ORANGE SODA, I WILL BE A LOYAL CUSTOMER... AHEM, UNLESS YOU ARE UNTIED, THEN I WOULD RATHER GO TO THE GROCERY STORE AND GET IT.

Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:08 am

They serve the norms if they have some funny drink and it travels the atlantic for a month it will cost the airline $3 in fuel. If you like it so much bring it yourself.
Iain

vfw614

Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:41 am

I guess they don't serve root beer because they want passengers to use the airsickness bags only for airsickness, not drinksickness which is the natural consequence of drinking root-beer  Wink/being sarcastic Big grin  Wink/being sarcastic

OA412

Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:43 am

Hmm, come to think of it, the last time I ever saw orange soda on an airplane was on AZ LAX-MXP in 1990.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos