Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sxmarbury33
Topic Author

Delta People I Need Upgrade Help/advice

Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:19 am

My sis, mom and I are flying out to seattle tommorow on flight 99 from JFK to SEA. We bought an L class ticket (what does that mean?) and my mom is a silver medalion member. I read in a packet there are North American Medallion Upgrades for silver medalion customers. I thought this means that we can upgrade to first or biz if seats availible. We called them and they said they cant upgrade L class tickets. Why is this? Also if they can allow us to upgrade will me and my sister (both minors) be allowed to upgrade too or just my mom becuase we arent medalion members. Also I am flying back alone on an L fare will i maybe be allowed to upgrade if they have availibility. Thnx guys just a little confused.

Jason Seiple

RE: Delta People I Need Upgrade Help/advice

Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:23 am

L fare is a highly discounted coach class ticket, same with a U fare. As frequent flyers call it, they are LUser fares. They are non-upgradeable because they are so heavily discounted. If your mom has to upgrade with certificates, it just won't happen. Complimentary upgrade... maybe space available if she's lucky. I doubt the other two of you would be upgraded.

Flying back on your own on an L class fare with zero status there is zero chance of your being upgraded. Sorry.

sxmarbury33
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:26 am

Ok thnx for the help. Lets say we bought a full fare coach ticket (im not to aware of the letters yet i have to memorize them) and my mom is silver medalion would we be eligible for upgrade too because we are minors or not?

Jason Seiple

Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:28 am

Full fare coach ticket is a Y-fare. As far as you and your sister being upgraded, basically all comes down to if your mom is willing to upgrade you with certificates or the kindness of whoever checks you in and the space available in First. I've heard of customer service agents waitlisting children for upgrade with their parents if there is room at the end. It all depends on what your mother wants to do and if there is room and a kind agent.

sxmarbury33
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:31 am

Wait what kind certificates are you talking about. I understand there are three ways to upgrade. If you have enough miles, Certificates they send you in the mail from time to time, or reading on the member benifits for silver it says North American Medallion Upgrades which i thought was just asking the ticket agent when you check in and they will upgrade you space permiting.

Jason Seiple

Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:35 am

Medallion members receive upgrade certs based on how many miles they fly. They can use these to confirm upgrades. On North American flights I believe you can get day of departure (for higher tiers perhaps confirm a day or two before departure) upgrades for yourself. However, upgrading the rest of you may be difficult. It all depends on how full First is and who you get to check you in.

FTraveler

Wed Dec 26, 2001 11:44 am

If your Mom has "old" FF miles, meaning miles accrued in her account before mid-1995, as a Silver Medallion member she can use them to upgrade herself as well as you and your sister, using L fares. It's 10,000 miles one-way. Remember, it has the be "old" miles. Mileage accrued since then cannot be used for these upgrades.

airplanetire

Wed Dec 26, 2001 12:33 pm

An L fare is still in the economy cabin, but it is the cheapest of the cheap tickets. It is a really discounted economy fare. There is no hope of upgrading with an L class fare. Delta just does not do it and that's a fact. My mom tried to surprise my brother and I by upgrading us to first because she had some upgrade certificates; it was a Delta flight from ATL-ORD and we had L tickets, so could not upgrade. It was a great flight though still! Have a great trip!

watewate

Wed Dec 26, 2001 12:43 pm

A few things going against your chances:

-As pointed out by other users, your fare class almost certainly rules out upgrades.
-I'm nost sure how eager gate agents are in upgrading 2 companions for a SM.
-The fact that you're young (if your profile is correct) will probably kill your chances. I've heard from employees that they don't like to 'cheapen' their standards by allowing sneaker wearing teens upfront. Sad, but true.
-JFK-SEA. Must be heavy with biz travelers.
-AFAIK, DL is one of the greediest/tightest in upgrades.

All in all, your chances of sitting upfront are slim to nil. You got an L fare, I'd be happy with flying with such a bargain tix. Enjoy your trip!

FTraveler

Wed Dec 26, 2001 1:01 pm

North American Medallion Upgrade certificates, which are earned after flying the first 40,000 miles in a calendar year, and every 20,000 miles thereafter, are valid only on fares booked in Y/B/M/Q/H/K class. They can only be used to upgrade the Medallion member or one traveling companion. These upgrades are confirmable at time of booking.

10,000 old frequent flyer miles can be redeemed for Delta Frequent Flyer Medallion Award Code EM, which allows a one-way domestic upgrade on any published fare, except U fares. These upgrades are confirmable at time of booking.

Your mother can use segment points to upgrade herself only. Each point is valid for 800-miles. Silver Medallion members may call in 24 hours prior to departure to confirm the upgrade. If it is not available, she can request to be placed on the upgrade waitlist. If her upgrade request does not clear by the time she checks in, she will be placed on the waitlist at the gate.

Wed Dec 26, 2001 1:21 pm

DL upgrade policy compared to CO/NW/HP upgrade policy is just terrible.

iluvwestjet

Question About The Old FF Miles

Wed Dec 26, 2001 1:38 pm

I have a question about the old FF miles. I think I have them. Do they have an expiration date? I recently discovered that I had an old SkyMiles account that was opened in 94 or something like that and I checked the balance and it turns out I have like 16,000 FF miles, but 0 SkyMiles. And since I haven't flown on DL since 94, I am guessing that the old FF miles do not expire, right?

Thanks in advance for your help.

delta fly boy

Wed Dec 26, 2001 2:32 pm

Hey - How ta doin'

I work as a gate agent out of LGA for Delta. My best friend is an agent at JFK. He is working tomorrow 5AM - 1130AM. I know DL99 departes JFK at 530PM - But I will be talking to him before he leaves for work in the AM (As i am his wake up call) and I could see if he knows the agents working that flight. You would have to give me your name - and i could posibly see if he could help me out. I would just tell himyou're a friend of the family's or something. I also cheacked so see what the deal with your flight load on DeltaNet and Tomr 26DEC01 DL99's actual availability is 44 in Biz and -33 in coach - you've got a shot. let me know - and we can e-mail further if you'd like. Hope I can help

-Shaun

sxmarbury33
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2001 2:50 pm

Oh my god Shaun that would be great. My name is Max Needham but the tix's are booked under Beverly Okada. You can email me at Maxneedham@hotmail.com. Ill just tell my mom i have conections heh. And thank you everyone else that gave me info. I checked the equip its a 763, im excited havent flown a widebody in a while.

FTraveler

Wed Dec 26, 2001 3:11 pm

Old Delta FF miles do not have an expiration date. Miles accrued under the SkyMiles program have a life span of 3 years; however, any account ctivity will extend the life of your miles.

BlueShamu330s

Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:27 pm

Sxmarbury

And 99 uses equipment with BizElite seats  Big thumbs up

Travelled on it both ways at the beginning of December; Coach was full, but on one leg we were the only 2 in Biz !!

Good luck !!

Shamu

sxmarbury33
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 2:38 pm

Hey shaun i tried emailing you but i dont know if you checked it. Did you get us upgraded because we got up to the gate and they called our names and gave us three new tix in Biz eliete. It was great tho i was waiting to use the bathroom and the pass manifest was posted on wall. I took a look and half the pax looked like non revs so you were right about it being empty. How rare is it to get biz elite if your a non rev?

delta fly boy

Fri Dec 28, 2001 5:50 pm

Hey - yeah - I made some phone calls in the afternoon - they couldn't promise me anything but my friend said she would try - I'm very glad it came through for you. if First clas or Biz Elite are open - non revs will get that over coach - 90% of the time employees fly First class. MOST of the time it's only non revs in biz Elite or FC - or medallions. Glad i could help

-Shaun