Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WunalaDreaming
Topic Author

Eva Air / Garuda Indonesia...

Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:11 pm

I am planning on flying to the Far East from the United Kingdom next Christmas...

The choices I have are: Bali or Phuket/Koh Samui... If I fly to Bali it will be with Garuda Indonesia and if I fly to Phuket or Koh Samui it will be with Eva Air (Plus a domestic flight with Thai)... as I am not fussed about which of thses I go to - it lies on the comfort factors of these Airlines for the 12+ hours in economy...

Does anyone have any experience with these airlines, or any information that they can share about the services that they offer?

Regards

Sam D.
Rayleigh UK.

A330300

RE: Eva Air / Garuda Indonesia...

Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:29 pm

Seat pitch in EVA's coach class is a decent 34 inches, but other aspects of service aren't anything extraordinary. You may want to splurge for EVA's Evergreen Deluxe class, which is a premium economy product that offers 38 inches of pitch and PTVs, as well as a wider seat. Usually the fares are roughlyabout 20-25% more.

airnewzealand

Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:32 pm

I have experiences with both...
Garuda Indonesia....
I flew them AKL-BNE-AKL
The flight was comfortable, the FA's nice and friendly, The captain, Sick, and the Comfort level in Economy good, though the seats were looking very old!! Does any one know if they have renovated??
One thing i like about GA was that they serve people under the age of 18 alcohol...well at least to me!!

Eva Air..
I flew them also AKL-BNE-AKL
Had no complaints..the FA's really now how to make you feel good! Comfort was just superb and the food was also very very nice!!
The Cabincs were really nicely cleaned, and i can imagine a 12 hour flight with them would be brilliant!!

Basically any airline you pick here is good...
Though in my opinion, Eva Air is best!!

Cheers
Mike

ryanb741

Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:42 pm

I have flown Eva Air LHR-BKK and it was great! Good legroom and nice food.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

garuda

Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:53 pm

Hi Sam,

I've never flown with Eva Air before, so I can't comment on that.

Regarding Garuda, I've flown Singapore-Brisbane and back twice for the past 6 months, including some domestic flights, using A330-300, DC10-30, B747-200 and B737-300. The longest leg is Denpasar (Bali)-Brisbane which takes around 5 to 5 1/2 hours on board A330-300.

The (economy) seats are comfortable (around 34 inches pitch in A330), the service is great (although not the best), the food is excellent and the F/A is very nice, and I did have a chance to visit the cockpit during the flight. The only complain that I have is the lack of PTVs, not that I 'adore' PTVs so much, but watching a movie in the overhead screen in a certain angle is not really comfortable.

All flights from UK to CGK is using B744 or B742. I've never been inside GA's 744, but I've flown on GA's 742 PK-GSD last month, and the seats were new and comfortable (compared to my trip on board GA's 742 in 1993), and the seat pitch is around 32 inches, not as good as those in A333, but good enough. From CGK to DPS, GA is using a variety of equipment, like B737, DC10, A330 and B742, and all of them are in good condition inside out.

On all flights that I've experienced, the plane left the gate on time, except yesterday on CGK-SIN leg, when one passenger came 5 minutes late to the gate, however we still arrived on schedule.

Hope this helps
JA

RickB

Fri Jan 04, 2002 7:40 pm

Garuda's website for the UK is WWW.GARUDA-INDONESIA.CO.UK they have details on seat pitch and cabin layouts.

If you do decide to fly with Garuda - who were excellent in September to Bali and back from London then I would recommend you upgrade to Premium Economy where you get a 40" seat pitch, PTV's and a greater baggage allowance - it costs very little to upgrade (just over £100 return earlier in the year - although we paid extra for Executive class).

Not tried EVA but I would have no problem recommending Garuda whatsoever !!

QantasAirways

Fri Jan 04, 2002 7:58 pm

Hello,
I have flown EVA Air on an 8~9 hour flight twice (BNE-TPE-BNE) and I must say they are one of the airlines I would definately recommend without battering an eyelid.

Fly them:
Great service, Great food, Great seats, Average inflight entertainment
Beware the heavily accented flight Attendants though

Regards
QantasAirways
Spirit of Australia

B747-4U3

Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:35 pm

I would go with Garuda. You can upgrade to premium class for £99 where you get 44inches of legroom (I think) Even in Cattle Class the seats are comfortable, the toilets are huge, friendly F/A, nice food.

I would go to Bali, I went their on holiday last year and didn't want to leave.

Air Taiwan

Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:42 am

I have never tried GA but someone who works at BNE airport told me that they do dodgy things that makes them quite unsafe to fly compared to other airlines... but that's just from what i know...

EVA Air is not bad... although they were a lot better when they first started (1991). I've flown them several times both in Y and C CLass. 'Qantas Airways' is right, you have to try quite hard to understand their spoken English...

cheers
jimmy

go canada!

Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:01 am

Eva air sam, i want a plane!
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

WunalaDreaming
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:37 am

Well, having spoken to my travel agent.... it seems that neither of these airlines may be an option.

I am probably going to fly Malaysian (744 and 734) for 3 nights in KL and 10 nights in Langkawi...

I will take all your comments on board in case I go to Bali or Koh Samui/Phuket...

Thanks for your help... Any opinions on Malaysian? I heard they are quite good with PTV's and that is quite important!

ryanb741

Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:44 am

Malaysian are excellent! One of the most underrated airlines IMHO. They come only slightly below my top three of BA/SQ/EK.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

cwapilot

RE: Air Taiwan

Sat Jan 05, 2002 6:16 am

Well, I guess if some dude you know told you, it must be true......

Cite some actual credible, verifiable sources before you attempt to slander a company please.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

mandala499

Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:58 pm

Wunala Dreaming,
GA's schedule is now LGW-FRA-CGK-DPS, so you won't have to change planes (744), and yes, the premium economy cabin was the business class cabin, and the business was the first class cabin. Go for it...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

TG992

Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:22 pm

AirTaiwan, I heard EXACTLY the same thing from sources within the company I work for.

Where there's smoke.......
-

B747-4U3

Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:49 pm

According to OAG.com you have to change planes at CGK when going to DPS. You get the 744 and then D10.

Air Taiwan

Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:18 am

Cwapilot... the incident i was referring to was that once GA (BNE-DPS A330) had to do a divert because there was a RAAF excercise over some part of N.Queensland/ N.Territory and they (GA) did not have enough fuel to continue to DPS and had to land at a military base and get fuel while the pax waited on the plane... i don't think that's safe...

I don't know what TG992 was refering to but i'm sure he's source is more accurate than mine...

cheers,
jimmy...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos