Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B747-4U3
Topic Author

Opinions On Air China

Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:27 pm

In Feb I will be flying to Beijing from London on Air China (I have no choice).

Could anyone tell me what their service...etc is like?

Thanks

ryanb741

RE: Opinions On Air China

Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:41 pm

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The a/c is a 744, the seats are quite good (no PTV though) and food is pretty decent too
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Air Taiwan

Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:45 am

beware of their F/As... and their no-so-tidy cabin...

good luck...

cheers
jimmy

oxygen

Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:14 am

You can't expect world class service like CX or SQ on Air China, but the service is really good for an airline in China. Last summer I went on it I was really surprised. Everything is not luxurious at all, but very decent and comfortable.

I went on AirChina's 777s and 747-400. The 777 were great. Seats were great- although no PTVs, the legroom is pretty abundant and the seats itself is very comfortable- you know, some airlines like China airlines have strangely- shaped seats that makes my back hurt, but the air China one fits my body shape really well.

On the other hand, you can't expect service like Singapore girls from the FAs.

A very little variety of drinks offered.

Food was nice. Although the amount is not quite enough and quite cheap, they made sure that all the food is edible. Their food is designed to be served on a flight ( some airlines serve food that looks good, but doesn't taste good after it is reheated).
And also, in economy class, there is only one type of food to choose.

Overall I am quite impressed with it. Maybe because I have a low expectation towards it. But the flights on Air China is certainly better than my own experience on United Transpacific economy.

HAJ_OW

Sat Jan 05, 2002 3:54 am

I flew Air China in 1995. I was a cheap flight and regarding that fact it was ok. It was quiete compareble to the SN A310 I flew with a few years later...
Seats were comfortable, the crew was freindly even though their english was diffcult to understand, food was quiete ok.
The funneíest thing I remember of that flight was the funny chinese safety instructions movie...
I tried to visit the flight dech durin the flight. First of all it was impossible on the flight to Beijing, but on the returnflight I had succes. They had very strict regulations even in 1995. It was impressive how many crewmembers they had for the flight deck. They were seven. 2 Captains, 2 FOs, 1 Radio Operator (as the pilots almost did not speak english), 1 Navigator an one Security Officer. The Security Officer was the one to decide if I could visit the flight deck.
Over all I would say Air China is asuitable way to get to china.
To compare it with cars I would say it like a VW. A good way to get to you destination, but a BMW (SIA or CX) is more comfortable  Wink/being sarcastic

B747-4U3
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2002 4:18 am

Thanks for your help. I think that Garuda Indonesia is quiet a good airline so I expect that Air China will be similar to them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos