Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

L-188
Topic Author

ID This Mystery Aircraft

Thu Aug 05, 1999 10:54 am

I took this picture of this aircraft at Anchorage International Airport/Lake Hood Anchorage, AK in early July. I know what the basic airframe is but the motor has me stumped. I want to see if any of you can ID this aircraft. To make it a little trickier I fuzzed out the N number on the tail so you can't look it up. I know I am mean.

But I will give you the following information: The aircraft is operated by the United States Department of the Interior.

Anyway here is the airplane, Have fun guessing what it is.

I'm sorry about the long download time. My photoeditor decided that it didn't want to reduce the resolution to decrease the filesize.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

flyaa757

RE: ID This Mystery Aircraft

Thu Aug 05, 1999 11:05 am

DHC Turbo Beaver (DHC-3)?

n4khgirl

Thu Aug 05, 1999 11:30 am

I dunno what it is, but I saw one just like it in Lafayette, LA a few weeks ago.

*Camille*

AC183

Thu Aug 05, 1999 12:47 pm

It looks to me like a DeHavilland Canada Beaver, with one of those modernized engines (not factory, an aftermarket modification). I would guess the engine is possibly and Orenda turboprop model?

winair

Thu Aug 05, 1999 5:35 pm

I have a few guesses
1)Beaver
2)PZL-Warszawa PZL-105L
3)Pilatus Turbo Porter (PC-6B

Charles802

Thu Aug 05, 1999 6:54 pm

I haven't looked at any of the other responses, but I would guess a DHC-3 "Beaver". The engine is obviously not the original design. Seems like a good bet for being near Lake Hood.

CV990

Thu Aug 05, 1999 7:24 pm

Interesting plane!

Its a basic "Turbo beaver" airframe with a turbo-engine on, but not the original turbo prop they used to adapt.
Its look quite wired this plane though!

Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

L-188
Topic Author

What I Know

Fri Aug 06, 1999 10:57 am

This aircraft is operated by the US Department on the Interior. It started life out as a U-6A which was the military version of the DHC-2 Beaver. Obviously it has been seriously modified over the course of it's life.

A Turbo Beaver uses a Pratt&Whitney PT-6 engine. I belive that it uses a -25 model but don't hold me to that. A true Turbo Beaver also has a longer airframe (If memory is correct 9 inches) this is between the cockpit and the cabin doors allowing a larger cabin. This help offsets the center of gravity shift from the use of the lighter turboprop instead of the R-985 radial engine. This aircraft retains the original Beaver cabin length requireing the long snout for the engine mount, this keep the CG in range.

I am still not sure about the engine. It looks like it could possibly be a Garrett motor but I havn't seen it back in Anchorage since I took this picture. Odd thing was that when I looked up the tail number on the FAA database it still listed the aircraft as having a R-985. But N754 is listed as being registered as an Experimental. I have never heard of a Turbo Beaver built with a Garrett engine only Pratt&Whitney's

Any I hope that you had fun with this picture I have another one I will be posting.

L-188
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 1999 3:51 am

I just talked to one of the mechanics with the Department of the Interiors, Office of Aviation Services up here in Anchorage. That aircraft is indeed a one off. They built it in their own shop.

Interesting Eh??

LanFan

Mon Aug 09, 1999 4:22 am

Where can I get to the FAA database?

Thanks in advance

L-188
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 1999 4:32 am

I go to the Landings.com site. They have a search engines that interfaces to the FAA system that allows you to look up N numbers of various aircraft. There are a couple of other search engines on that site too.

There are also a couple of search engines at the FAA site. Including a list of air crashes reports during the previous days. It is in the drop down menu under Air Accident Investigations and Incident Reports. It is under the Office of System Safety.

N766UA

Mon Aug 09, 1999 5:00 am

After careful thinking, I'm gonna say a dehaviland beaver. The engine looks funky. Like it's added to extend range or something. Hope that's right!

-PS

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos