Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLY777UAL
Topic Author

747-200 Engines

Fri Aug 06, 1999 9:47 am

I was flipping through my new Airways Magazine and looking at the "New on the Airways" section...I noticed the new British Cargo Co., AIRFREIGHT EXPRESS with their new (from Atlas Air) 747-200's. The engines sure do look different from every P&W engine I've seen. Why didn't other -200 series customers (UA, NW, BA, QF, LH, etc.) opt for these engines? Could it be that this particular plane was just re-engined by Atlas?

Thanks in advance,

FLY777UAL

JZ

RE: 747-200 Engines

Sat Aug 07, 1999 2:40 am

In fact, this picture caught my attention as well. I don't think it's a JT9D you normally see on a 747-200. I think they are PW 4000 series engines that usually only equip 747-400.

widebodyphotog

RE: 747-200 Engines

Sat Aug 14, 1999 1:44 am

I saw the same photo as well. Actually those are P&W JT-9D's but mounted in the long-chord nacelle developed by Rhor for common use on DC-10-40 and 747-100,-200,and-300. This is a rare aircraft because not very many customers chose the long-chord nacell on 747, preferring the short forward cowling instead. If you can check out some photos of some DC-10-40's flown by Northwest or JAL and you will see its the same nacelle. By the way I like the long chord nacell better as well. Try Robbie Shaw's book "Tri-Jets"

widebodyphotog
If you know what's really going on then you'll know what to do

JZ

To Widebodyphotog

Sat Aug 14, 1999 1:54 am

Widebodyphotog: maybe you can answer a question I have had for a long time, i.e. who designs the engine nacelles, the plane maker, the engine maker or a third party like Rhor? And why does the same engine have different nacelles on different airplanes? For example, CF-6 on DC-10 vs. CF-6 on 767 or 747-400.

Thanks in advance for your help.

widebodyphotog

RE: To Widebodyphotog

Sat Aug 14, 1999 11:33 pm

Usually the planemaker sets the requirements for on-wing layout and the engine manufacturer either does the design work and contracts production out to someone with more capability or expertise (usually Rhor). or if it is a particular requirement the engine maker will produce the nacelle in-house, ie. GE 90 powered cowl opening system, or they may collaborrate with another company. You'll see different nacelles on aircraft with the same engines because the aerodynamic characteristics of one nacelle/aircraft combination may not be compatable with another. A good example is MD-11. Due to the different aerodynamics of the PW 4000 on MD-11 installation it was necessary to develop a shorter more aero nacelle for MD 11 compared to the common unit for 747/767, so a different design was used. By the way there is a common nacelle for MD-11 and Airbus 300-600/310-300 for the PW 4000. Airbus did not want a common anything with Boeing. (HA HA)
If you know what's really going on then you'll know what to do

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos