Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

boyshane
Topic Author

First Class Expirences

Wed Aug 11, 1999 4:38 am

I really want to fly first class! But won't be able to for quite a while until I save up.
So, can you all share you expirences with me. All of you that have flown first class or know alot about it.
Share things like the following................

1. Service (how was it?)
2. Seats (what are they like?)
3. Food (what you ate)
4 Type of aircraft you flew
5. Airports you flew from
6. Price (If you want to share that too)

Stuff like that. Just share your expiriences!

Thanks so much!

Federico

RE: First Class Expirences

Wed Aug 11, 1999 5:15 am

I've flown first class many times, as far as prices go, really couldn't say...never paid. My father worked for Pan Am in the good days...so we always traveled free.  

If you are going to travel, especially a long flight it's worth it! I've traveled 1st on Pan Am, Air France, Swissair, Aerolineas Argentinas, Varig, Japan Airlines, Sas, Iberia, Lufthansa and recently British Airways.

Seats are wide and very generous and now most recline fully. Food top quality on all the airlines I've metioned above...you get a menu...with a couple of choices...and basically your butt is kissed many times over and over. Even before getting on the plane many airlines have lounges. Most of my 1st class experiences have been on 747s but did get first class on Varigs MD11 and Iberia's A340-300. Iberia's first class seats were great, viedo monitor on your seat and choices of movies.

If you travel 1st class it will be worth every penny.

Argentino in Seattle, WA U.S.A.

Wed Aug 11, 1999 5:57 am

I fly first class frequently, though not exclusively. The service is excellent, since the flight attendant to passenger ratio is so much better. Drink service starts on the ground, and food and beverage service starts almost immediately after takeoff, within a couple of minutes.

I've flown first class is many aircraft and on many routes. The planes would include F-100, MD-80, 727, 737, 757, 767, DC-10, and MD-11. I think that's all of them. I've flown first on at least the following routes, probably others: SAN-ORD, SAN-DFW, SAN-JFK, SAN-LAX, LAX-JFK, LAX-ORD, LAX-DFW, DFW-ORD, DFW-BDL, ORD-BDL, ORD-SWF, ORD-LGA, DFW-LGA, SNA-DFW, DFW-IAD, ORD-DCA, ORD-HPN. That's all I can think of. You can see that most of my travels take me to the east coast  

As for food and seats, it depends largely on the aircraft and route. The intercontinental aircraft (767, DC-10, MD-11) have a much nicer Premium First cabin (at least on American). The seats on these planes have 60" pitch, full sleeper recline, and electronic footrests. They are quite wide and very comfortable. I have not yet experienced American's new Premium First product, but I expect good things from it. The food is excellent in first class, but on Flagship Service routes (SAN-JFK, LAX-JFK, others I haven't flown on), the food is magnificent. The dinner menu on American's Premium First is usually six-eight courses, with several appetizer choices, three entree choices, and a lot of good food. Dinner service on these flights can easily take two hours or so. You can see an AA dinner menu on my website. It's from a JFK-SAN flight.

On smaller planes, first class is also nice, but not as great. The food service is excellent, but not as abundant due to shorter stage lengths. The seats are also smaller, and the pitch is significantly smaller. As a general rule of thumb, I am willing to pay the (non-rev) upgrade fee for all daytime (meal) flights, and some overnight flights. When I take a red-eye, I usually decide whether to upgrade based on how full the main cabin is going to be. Sometimes I also consider whether I'm hungry, because first class gets food on the SAN-ORD red-eye, while the main cabin passengers just get pretzels and soda.

I personally really enjoy sitting in one of the premium cabins, and to me it is very worth the price. The price, however, is a lot less than for most people as I non-rev with an employee discount. I'd be quite reluctant to spring for first class if I were a full fare passenger!

US AIRWAYS

Wed Aug 11, 1999 6:27 am

Hello
Nothing beats first class. THe service was excellent. YOu get way better food in first class. I had a grilled chicken breast with sauteed vegetables while the rest of my family had filet minigon. The seats on US Airways are leather on the 737-300 that I flew on from CLT to LAS. I aslo sat next to a famous person by the name of HArry Connick Jr. I had a free ticket, but we used money to upgrade to first calss which is I think about $300.

Jonathan
Philadelphia, PA

AA7771stClass

Wed Aug 11, 1999 11:07 am

I agree w/ all of these people ahead of me. First Class is great! I don't find it as nice on shorter 2.5 hour hops but trans-atlantic or pacific is well worth the price. I flew First Class DFW-LGW on a MD-11 and it was great. Food, seat, everything! It's just more relaxed and they gave us FastTrak coupons to speed through customs. You won't be neglected in First Class.

JZ

Fri Aug 13, 1999 4:31 am

I have flown first class on both international and US domestic routes. On domestic routes, the first class service has also been affected by cost cuts so that it's just marginally better than coach. I flew US F-100 in first class. The meal service is just a plate of cold pasta with 3-4 shrimps. I also flew DL 757 in first class from SAN to JFK. The SAN-CVG segment we were serve full breakfast including hot muffin and omellet. But on the CVG-JFK segment, there was no meal service. All the flight attendants could do was bring you more drinks and peanuts. All you got was a wider seat with more leg room.

On the international flights, things are quite different. I flew JAL's 747-400 first class JFK-NRT a few years ago. Before you get on the plane, you can relax in the Sakura lounge in the airport. We boarded via a separate jetway directly into the first class section at the front. It's well lit and decorated. So you had the sensation of getting into a spacious hall with only 13 seats. The space between each row was about 1 meter. My co-worker was sitting in front of me; and I had to walk up to talk to him. The seats can lie down to about 150 degrees. There were 3 flight attendants for 12 first class customers. The 13th seat in the first class is a leather massage chair for a full body massage. They gave your 2-3 gift bags, helped you hang your jacket, and gave you slippers to wear. They also gave you a small mask for you to wear on your nose and mouth while you sleep. It supposely can preserve water loss due to the drieness of the cabin interior.

The food and service were excellent. The flight attendant would retrieve the tray table from your seat, lay a white table cloth on it, and place silver ware and a small flower vase in front of you. The fact that the old Japanese businessman sitting next to me didn't give me any sense of romancy was besides the point. The food was served in courses. The appertizer include caviar, freshly made sushi and sashimi. You then have several choices of western or Japanese style entree. And then you got desert and after meal drinks. The whole affair took over an hour.

At the time there was no seat back TV. But they gave you a watchman and you have a large selection of films. Anything you want, you just ask. I went around the cabin to stretch my legs and asked for a glass of water. The flight attendant was so horrified that a passenge had go into the galley to ask for water that she accompanied me back to the seat, and re-appeared with water immediately.

I then flew JAL first class few more times and noted that there was always a male flight attendant in his 40s or 50s. Later, I found out that it's quite a honor to have a senior male serve you; and having this older male attendant on board serves this purpose.

Granite

Fri Aug 13, 1999 5:18 am

Hi all

I flew First Class on Concorde.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Gary Watt

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Gary Watt

What more can I say!!

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

Sat Aug 14, 1999 12:17 pm

I've been in first class twice (WHOOPEE) for FREE!
I loved the seats-lots of room, free alcohol, which is great I guess if you like to drink, and quieter up there. Flight attendants were very nice, but they were also very nice in coach on the same airline.
I never got any meals because the flights were too short, but we DID get peanuts when coach got nothing!
That's my experience.

Sun Aug 15, 1999 2:09 am

Well, as a airline employee, Ive flown first class many times...Got to be honest with you, I woudnt pay for a first class seat...here are the routes ive flown first..

SLC-SEA SLC-IDA IDA-SLC
SLC-OMA
SLC-LAX LAX-SLC SLC-SAN SAN-SLC
SFO-SLC SLC-SFO
PHX-SLC
LAX-HNL
HNL-OGG
SFO-HNL
DFW-SLC

Of course, I always complain if I have to ride coach..but the idea of it being free may take the luster out of it...

thai747

Sun Aug 15, 1999 12:44 pm

I was on Lufthansa's new first class
1. Service: Excellent.. 2 FAs on the upperdeck's first class.. they give you non-stop drinks..and they hang the coat up for you.. the lounges ( I was in Bkk's Business class lounge since it was less busy than First class lounge which was shared with Air France ) were also great.. telephones Fax..
2. Seats : LArges new seats ( similar to SQ..) large Personal TV , Privacy Shield ( Lift up screen ) , electronically controled seat which reclined to 180 Degrees...
3. Food (what you ate) Smoked Salmon Salad , Lamb Steak and I dunno WHICH NICEST PIE i've ever tasted
4 Type of aircraft you flew 747-400
5. Airports you flew from Bkk - Mnl
6. Price No Idea.. my dad paid

Transtar

Tue Aug 17, 1999 4:45 am

I have flown First Class several times over the years, all on my Father's frequent flyer. I have flown once TWA (back in the very early 1990's before they were retiring most of the European routes) and was very pleased with the food and service, although their seats were quite aged and in need of modernization.

My other two experiences were on Continental's Business First which is essentially First Class, plus one 3/4 flight on a Northwest First class (due to seat problems in coach).

Continental's service won the prize, especially the first trip which was on a 747-200 from IAH to LGW and back. (The second was on a DC-10-30 from EWR-MAD and back which was also wonderful but still not the same)There is nothing like a First Class seat in the nose section, as it feels as if you are sitting in a flying building. Food is excellent and having the little LCD screen is wonderful!. I can't wait to fly BusinessFirst 777s sometime!

Tue Aug 17, 1999 5:00 am

If you are going to fly first class, make sure that the plane and airline you will take has seats reclining 180 degrees...(BA, LH, SQ etc..) I would say fly Singapore for the ultimate experience....If you still think FC is unaffordable, in a year or so fly Virgin's Upper Class (at Business Class fare)with flat beds. They should be installed throughout the fleet by the end of next year....

While you wait, I strongly recommend BusinessElite from Delta Airlines....I took it yesterday on a 10.30 hr flight from Istanbul to New York and it is by far the most comfortable business class seat in the world and the service was excellent with no trays like in most Business Classes.

kaitak

Wed Aug 18, 1999 7:22 am

This might be cheating just a little, in that my experience was with Cathay in Business Class. It was "First Class" in a way, as there was no F class on either flight and secondly, I just couldn't imagine First Class being any better.
1. Service - enough said. It's Cathay.
2. Seats - 50" pitch, about 25" wide - more than enough and of course, a fine big TV screen in the armrest!
3. Food. More than enough, fresh orange juice all the way, delightful service, beautiful choccies.
4. HKG-Osaka (via Taipei) 777-300. Again, enough said! Returned on A330, just as nice. In fact, the 330 was the better flight. Open cockpit, jump seat for takeoff and landing.
5. Airports as above.
6. Got upgraded by Cathay. Don't be cynical now. This has nothing to do with its being my favourite airline.

In general, a good Business Class gives you all you could need, at a much lower cost, particularly if you're flying with a top rated airline. Trouble is, you just hate going back to Economy!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos