Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vfw614
Topic Author

Continental To Axe FCO MXP LIS MAD BRU And Zrh?

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:01 am

This was reported on a German forum - can anybody confirm that CO is indeed axing all European destinations on the continent except FRA, AMS, CDG ? This would mean that MXP, LIS, MAD, FCO, ZRH and BRU will be axed.....

Continental will be offering passengers from Newark a total of 24 destinations throughout Europe beginning April 2002. This has become possible through the partnership with KLM which took effect in January. Continental will increase its capacity into Amsterdam and from there KLM and their local partners will offer the connecting flights"

-snip-

"In continental Europe, Continental will continue to serve Frankfurt, Paris and Amsterdam. All other destinations will no longer be served with Continental aircraft. These changes have already started and will gradually take effect until October 2002."

(note: the text was written by the person who posted it, not copied as it seems to be from a printed press release ?)

Hope this is not old news.

[email protected]

RE: Continental To Axe FCO MXP LIS MAD BRU And Zrh?

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:10 am

I cant verify this is true, hope its not. But i highly doubt CO will axe that many routes. I'd be amazed if they did  Wow!

[email protected]
In Arsene we trust!!

DL WIDGET HEAD

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:18 am

If it's true, what a reversal of Gordon's sated goal of offering Europe from New York non-stop! Frankly, I don't think it's true, what would they do with all those new, shiny 767's and 777's?

artsyman

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:23 am

This is utter codswallop...., who ever posted that is well at least mis-informed. Continental would have to ground half of its widebody fleet to do this. I just called a friend downtown to ask, and he says that its nonsense

Jer

vfw614
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:25 am

Just to avoid misunderstandings - the text in italics is not what the guy himself wrote but the text of, as he says, a CO press release he has typed in - that means from the horse's mouth.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:25 am

I too think its....codswallop!

I LOVE EWR

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:26 am

There are some CO pilots on the forum that could give a better answer on this topic than me but I agree 100 percent with DL Widget Head. CO has made MAJOR improvements in their fleet, facilities and services, especially at EWR. They just opened up an extension of Terminal C with a lot of room for wide-body jets. They have also had the Port Authority of New York/New Jersey create better immigration and customs facilities at EWR. Plus like DL Widget Head said they have all of those new 777s, 762s, and even some 757s with BusinessFirst Cabins used for international flights. I doubt they would cut European service so drastically.

STT757

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:32 am

They didn't just spend $1.3 Billion at EWR to improve connections through Amsterdam, I think someone's a little confused.

Definetly something got lost in the translation.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

artsyman

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:33 am

I don't need to be aa pilot at CO to know this is nonsense, other people know these things, not just the pilots

Jer

vfw614
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:40 am

This is utter codswallop...., who ever posted that is well at least mis-informed. Continental would have to ground half of its widebody fleet to do this. I just called a friend downtown to ask, and he says that its nonsense

Don't shoot the messenger  Innocent

Well, grounding half of the widebody fleet is a bit exaggerated. Most of Continental's continental  Wink/being sarcastic European destinations in question are served by 757-200 or 767-200, not by 767-400 or even 777-200s

LIS is a 757-200
MAD is a 777-200
MXP is a 767-200
BRU is a 767-200
ZRH is a 767-200
FCO is a 767-400

According to this whereever-it-comes-from-release, flights to the U.K., to FRA, CDG and AMS remain untouched. LIS, BRU, ZRH almost saw the axe after Sep 11, if memory serves, so I don't think that they are doing too well yield-wise.

EA CO AS

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:50 am

Think for a moment. What do people want;

1. Many nonstops to European destinations

2. Many opportunities to connect in Amsterdam to other European destinations

It simply makes no sense, especially since Europe has been CO's cash-cow over the past few years.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ContinentalEWR

Tue Jan 29, 2002 11:07 am

A few corrections here....VFW614, Continental does not operate the 767-400 on the EWR-FCO route. It flies the 777 on that route. I don't believe that any of these routes will be axed. BRU is suffering without a major Belgian international airline since the demise of Sabena and US carriers are picking up extra capacity exhibited by Delta restarting JFK-BRU and Continental operating a 762 to Brussels instead of the 757, which it normally does in the winter schedule.

DUS and STN were the only European destinations cut after 9/11 and are not likely to return any time soon. I do not think Continental would have invested billions in turning Newark into a world-class facility and international gateway if it didn't have the intention of maintaining its extensive international service from EWR.

Newark is the only logical place in the Continental system to operate as a gateway to Europe. Houston works fine for the key destinations (LGW, CDG, and now AMS from April) but NY remains the world's biggest airline market and even with 9/11 and the recession, the demand is still there, albeit muted.

ContinentalEWR

STT757

Tue Jan 29, 2002 11:45 am

I think with the failure of AA/BA (again) CAL would again look to Stansted to fill a niche.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

cba

Tue Jan 29, 2002 12:41 pm

If Continental continues to play its cards right, they will be the dominant carrier to Europe, surpassing Delta. Delta's JFK-Europe ops are o&d based, as Delta has very few domestic feeder flights in JFK. Although ATL has tons of connecting traffic, it simply cannot match the potential of New York. Not only does EWR have a huge o&d base, Continental has an extensive domestic network out of EWR.

exusair

Tue Jan 29, 2002 12:58 pm

CO surpassing DL in international operations?

They would have to double their operation from EWR to do that.

Markus

Tue Jan 29, 2002 2:32 pm

I'll sum it up in one word...CRAP.

Don't believe the hype.
Cheers,
Markus

Work smart
Not hard

Lt-AWACS

Tue Jan 29, 2002 3:14 pm

hey exusair doesn't Continental already service more Int'l destinations than anyone else??? Nearly every goodsize city in Mexico must count for seomthing??
Ciao
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

SegmentKing

Tue Jan 29, 2002 4:10 pm

I'll have to check my latest edition of Air Transport World, but I believe United is the largest carrier in terms of RPMs across the pond.... not sure of the exact context, or what, but I just remember seeing it as United then Delta...

-nate
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

Boeingfan

Tue Jan 29, 2002 4:19 pm

Hope this is fiction.

I can understand the maximization of codeshare with KLM through AMS to the same destinations to offer "additional" schedule choices and Onepass miles to the same destinations.

The Italy routes may go to KL, as the status of the AZ code share (AZ now apart of the DL, AF Skyteam alliance) may be in question to MXP and FCO?

Hmmm, maybe there will be an expansion in the Pacific if the Atlantic fleet is freed up some?

Follow the loads, and revenue.

LJ

Tue Jan 29, 2002 6:00 pm

I just checked the news in Amadeus and there all nonstops are still listed. Thus the news is false.

Regards
Laurens

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos