Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PW100
Topic Author

Ryanair To Eindhoven Aiport?

Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:24 pm

This morning a local Dutch radiostation reported that a spokesman from Eindhoven Aiport [EIN] has confirmed that they are talking to Ryanair. Apparently Ryanair is interested in starting new routes to Eindhoven.
This would be their first real attack in the Dutch market. For some reason I just wonder if they might refer to this airport as Amsterdam-Eindhoven Airport. Amsterdam and Eindhoven are just under 100 km appart [not to mention huge traffic jams]...

What routes do you believe would be likely candidates from EIN?
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

swake

RE: Ryanair To Eindhoven Aiport?

Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:35 pm

Would be great!! Only 40 km from my home town  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
PW, Well, EIN obviously will not be marketed as AMS South, It will be BRU North, sorry BRU NorthEast that is  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Heck I don't care what name they think of. It's cheap, it's fast and convenient. Hope they'll start service to some Irish airports

Ndebele

Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:36 pm

Nearly every small middle-european airport with a runway long enough for a 737 is talking to Ryanair. Take eastern Germany as an example, Ryanair was interested, and ~8 airports started talking to FR. However, Eindhoven seems to be really likely to me (most probably to Stansted), or maybe Maastricht-Aachen instead, who knows, with 100+ aircraft ordered, they're going to open *many* new routes!

1stspotter

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:09 am

They are indeed in talks, that is all that is made public.
Routes to Stansted are very likely, as well to destinations for sunseekers. Personally I would not mind Barcelona and thus some competition with Easyjey, KLM and Basiqair on the Dutch market.
Lets hops it will indeed happen. I am sure it will be a success. The Dutch are very keen to low fares  Wink/being sarcastic

Flanor

Buzz, Basiq Air

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:58 am

If Ryanair comes to Eindhoven it wouldn't surprise me if KLM will start Buzz flights out of AMS or at least expand Transavia's Basiq Air routes.

Ndebele

Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:29 am

What is Basiq Air? Never heard of that airline before, and the database does not contain any pics of that airline. Is it the new name of Eindhoven-based BASE Airlines?

MEA-707

Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:35 am

Flanor > Buzz will never be in Amsterdam. Amsterdam is ther actual base for KLM uk (formerly Air UK) and aims the business and connecting passengers. They will never erode that service with lowpriced yellow Buzz 146s.
Ndebele > Basiq Air is a brand name for Transavia's no frills cheap operations. They advertise as Basiq Air but operate with Transavia aircraft and ammunities. Check the trip reports section, I flew "Basiq Air" and analyzed this brand-only operation.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

OO-VEG

Wed Jan 30, 2002 2:59 am

I though Eindhoven has certain restrictions for jet aircraft. Some 3/4 years ago they reached the limit of jet flights resulting all of those flights being abandoed to other airports in the area for some 4 weeks.
I am curious how Ryanair is going to tackle that problem.

PW100
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:02 pm

Eindhoven was restricted to 18000 flights a year (if I recall that number correctly). However new legislation has been proposed to drop the max limit of "heavy movements" and instead they will probably have a noise-cap. With aircraft becoming quiter, the number of flights allowed can be increased. I don't know when this will be introduced. However since the failure of BASE Airlines, there should be sufficient room to start some new flights.
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

AMSMAN

Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:20 pm

All I Know is that id would be dead handy if they did and operated to Dublin. This of course would set Aer Lingus in a spin as they are the only airline to fly direct from AMS. Therefore they can charge what they like for tickets and, if you want to go direct you'll pay it!!!
Remember The battle between Ryanair and Sabena? Not to mention Ryanair and Germans, Lufthansa? Battles because of cheaper fares therefor, reducing passenger numbers on the main airlines!

All I say is, Id support Ryanairs move!!!

AMSMAN
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

vfw614

Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:20 pm

In 2001, of the 18.000 available slots a bit more than 13.000 were actually used. The year before the number was exceeded and they had to cancel flights from EIN during December.

LJ

Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:34 pm

Vfw614, thus only 5,000 slots are left (6 dailies). Not much.

Given that the "neighbours" of Eindhoven Airport don't exactly like the big airliners I reckon it will be blocked someway.

BTW will Eindhoven change its name into Amstrdam-South, Brussels-North or Dusseldorf-West?

Regards
Laurens

PW100
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:12 am

Why is it that Aer Lingus is the only operator on the Amsterdam - Dublin route? Yes, KLM is codesharing on these flights with EI. However I do feel that this route should be strong enough for KLM to operate and market this route by themselves. After all, KLM does fly tons of daily flights to approx 70 European destinations. Why did they never bother flying to Dublin. Dublin seems to me to be large enough to sustain 4 or 5 KLM flights?

If Ryanair is indeed coming to Eindhoven, the KLM codeshare on the Dublin route maybe a smart move after all. Your right AMSMAN! This would hurt EI a lot harder than the codesharing KLM.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos