Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United777
Topic Author

Singapore Airlines Fleet ?

Fri Aug 13, 1999 9:36 am

How many new aircraft will Singapore Airlines get this year? Yesterday I saw a SIA Boeing 747-400 taking-off from the Boeing factory yesterday and today I saw a SIA Boeing 777-200 taking-off from the Boeing factory in Everett.

Singapore Airlines has the best fleet in the world, they should retire there A310-300's soon!

***I will be flying Singapore Airlines Sept. 10, 1999 on a trip to Singapore.

RE: Singapore Airlines Fleet ?

Fri Aug 13, 1999 3:27 pm

Sorry, I can't answer your question, I just don't know. You may find the answer in their magazine, the name escapes me. We flew Singapore-Denpasar (Bali) on their A310-300 last year. It was configured to three classes, but none offered PTV's (that came as a shock!), but I guess they are pretty close to retirement, so there's no point in upgrading the seating.

Regards,
Alexander.

Fri Aug 13, 1999 5:51 pm

10 772s will be delivered between 2001 & 2004. SIA operates 89 aircrafts, expects to have a fleet of 120 by 2004-5005... not too sure, but i've came across something like they are going to order 77 777s. hurhur

Fri Aug 13, 1999 6:11 pm

having flown on SQ on a number of times in Business Class and Economy Class, I must admit that it is all a hype. The service was lousy and the cabin crew have a very bad attitude. They dont seem to care at all.

From my flying experience, I would not choose Singapore Airlines again. I would strongly recommed "Cathay Pacific" I have found their service to be top notch and would fly with them where possible.

RE:Wow!

Fri Aug 13, 1999 9:17 pm

Airline2000, your comments were quite interesting, considering the hype about SQ's brilliant service. But what exactly went wrong on your flights?

I've flown them twice now, and from my heart of hearts, I can only find praise for their service. We flew a 3 hour sector from Colombo to their base on a 777. The cabin was clean, all the IFE equipment was in order, and the crew showed a real enthusiasm whilst caring for us- you could see they were enjoying themselves-they loved their jobs.

However, as I mentioned before, it's always interesting to hear people's stories from the contrary; over to you Airline2000.

Regards, Alexander.

Singapore 777

Sat Aug 14, 1999 12:01 am

United777, was the 747-400 you saw, reg. 9V-SPM, if it is, that aircraft has been held back by Boeing for nearly a year and a half now I think. And was the 777 9V-SQH or 9V-SRE?

Airline2000, I agree with you that sometimes, their F/As have an attitude. On SQ224, 25JUN, (which was an Airbus 340-300 9V-SJC) I did notice subtle discrimmination against me and three of my friends (i.e. they were more friendly to the Australians behind us.) But on the contrary, on SQ223 08JUN, (Boeing 777-212, 9V-SQF), the service was excellent, quick and efficient and they even got us up front to Raffles Class (amazing!).

I watched the descent to some body of water after Perth, after we got out of the cloud layer that is and the 777 turned a 180deg back to land and the flaps were lowered (to 25??). Passing by Perth and flatlands, I snapped a photo of the scenery below and the gigantic RR884 engines. I even saw a shadow of our aircraft below. As we passed the Reid Hwy, (which I travelled on to one of the lectures at Murdoch University) the flaps were lowered to their max (40??) and I could hear the engines start spooling up and the plane felt a bit jittery then. After the engines spooled down again, the undercarriage was lowered. I thought we were already on finals for Rwy21 but this was not so as we made a final left turn to intercept the localiser and I saw the ailerons of the right wing go up. We passed some trees before I saw the tar and 2 secs later, the aircraft touched down smoothly but heavy brakes applied.

By the way, SQ224 on approach was quite disastrous.

DeltaShuttle

RE: Wow!

Sat Aug 14, 1999 3:50 am

This does not come as a surprise to me. I have heard so many complaints about Northwest, and I have complaints about them myself. However, some people have said that Northwest is great, so what can you say? It all depends on your experience. I'm sure Singapore makes mistakes sometimes too.

RE: Wow!

Sat Aug 14, 1999 10:37 pm

well chew on this... most Singaporeans will agree with this: SQ girls have a reputation for this... they discriminate... usually extra friendly to foreign people, well-presented business flyers & yuppies or extremely cute chiildren. however, they do not serve fella Singaporeans with such enthusiasm. u can tell sometimes they are obliged to serve, especially when it is a rowdy bunch of unsophisticated "never flew on a plane before" tourist-type passengers. SQ girls...as usual...think they're among the elite, and very well-groomed, tend to not respect such people as much, especially when they know you are a cheapskate or someone not very rich. i think this is not just exclusive to SQ, other airlines...eg Korean Air...also have have a quite discriminating crew. i would recommend Thai if ur looking for sincere, genuine to serve crew...Thais are pretty humble people and u can often see their hospitality is genuine. however talking about entertainment systems & stuff, Singapore Airlines beats the rest hands down..

MAS777

Fri Aug 20, 1999 5:20 am

SIA and MAS are equally guilty of discrimination on their service attitudes to different nationalities...hence I have often noticed MAS' LHR-KUL service packed-full with European customers who rave about the exotic service on-board. On the other hand BA's LHR-KUL service is full of Malaysian travellers who have had enough of MAS' poor treatment of fellow countrymen. SQ's service I reckon is pretty similar to MAS'...

kaitak

RE: SIA Fleet

Fri Aug 20, 1999 3:14 pm

You know guys, here's an odd thing, all United 777 wanted to know was about SIA's fleet. It's hard to pin down, mostly because they keep adding airplanes (most unfair to us who want to keep tabs on them!), but here's a rough breakdown:
38 744s, 8 744Fs
10 777s, 4 773s (and about 15 777s on firm order - they could eventually have over 40 777s)
15 A340s (soon to find a loving home with an airline that really appreciates them)
Oh, and about 18 A310s

I'm sure it's a jolly good airline, but who needs SIA when you've got Cathay . . .

F-WWKH

Fri Aug 20, 1999 8:44 pm

Nine posts...and none answers the question.
I will add a tenth by stating that I really like Singapore's color scheme. Unfortunately, I haven't flown them yet.

P.S. United777, keep in mind a take-off doesn't necessariliy need to be a delivery, can be a test-flight, ferry-flight...

A340-500

Fri Aug 20, 1999 11:59 pm

Also starting from 2003, the airline has an order for 5 A340-500 and 5 in option. SQ will also make a decision between the A330-200 and B767 for their A310 replacement. I would thing it will be the A330 with pilots of the A340 switching to the new aircraft. I do not thing that SQ will be a sole Boeing customer. Company policy is to keep up competition alive to get the best deals.

CX747

The Fleet.

Sat Aug 21, 1999 12:12 am

At the end of 1998 SIA had

5 747-200/300s
45 747-400s
14 777-200s
10 A310-300s
15 A340-300s

I highly doubt that the A340-500 order will stay. They will most likely order the 777-300X or 747-400X/ER.