Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airblue
Topic Author

Ryanair Attacks Alitalia With A New Advertising

Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:37 pm

I think Ryanair doesn't care what happened two week ago in Germany at the Cologne Court.
Here the detalis of their new advertising on all the main Italian papers.
Unfortunately my scanner doesn't work so well to put the picture of the advertising, but here a small summary:

Title: ALITALIA.... THE MOST EXPENSIVE ITALIAN COFFEE!

(follow a picture of a big cup of coffee with the name Alitalia inside)

Then this comparate advertising:

To Frankfurt (one-way) from:

Milan AZ €382 Vs. FR €20
Pescara AZ €655 Vs. FR €20
Pisa AZ €484 Vs. FR €25

Follow at the bottom of the advertising (It's written so small that you really need glass to read it!!):

Tax excluded; Alitalia flights use Main Airport and Ryanair flights use Hahn airport; Ryanair flights from Milan use Orio Al Serio airport; Alitalia flights from Pisa are operated via MXP; Alitalia flights from Pescara are operated first via Rome FCO and then via Milan LIN.

What do you think that it will happen in the nearest future?? I'm pretty sure AZ will take FR to Court.
But now I start to think that FR in order to have free pubblicity is really happy to go to Court so often.

And about the comparison of the Pescara route??
It's really unbelievable.

AMSMAN

RE: Ryanair Attacks Alitalia With A New Advertising

Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:46 pm

Are Ryanair trying to replace every European airline country by country? That's what it looks like!
Although they do operate some cheap flights.
I flew Dublin - Charleroi in December 2000. Total Cost return flight 5 days later, tax INCLUDED Handling Fees INCLUDED: £17.33

I say more power to them because already they fly to the best part of the western section of Europe!!!

AMSMAN
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

Ndebele

Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:52 pm

Indeed, Ryanair fares are *really* cheap. But nearly everybody wants a return-flight. Comparing one-way fares is always unfair, because for a Ryanair return-trip, you have to pay twice as much as for a Ryanair one-way. For a LH/AZ return-trip, you sometimes pay just the same as for a one-way ticket.

Or is it unfair that LH/AZ one-ways are so expensive?

airblue
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:53 pm

I think everybody here like FR cheapest fares, but I showed this advertising to some friends (the so called "tipical travellers who don't know so much about aviation") and they thought only that AZ has crazy fares. After that I told them everything about the difference between Main and Hahn airports and resticted economy and business class ticket they also thought that this advertising is wrong and maybe illegal.

Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:54 pm

Well, as long as they outline the difference in airports served etc., I have no problem with this kind of advertising.

Ryanair are leading a new revolution in Europe-they are bringing low cost flying to 350 million Europeans, many of whom couldn't previously afford to fly to London for a weekend etc.

They're not afraid of being unconventional, bold & innovative-and taking on inefficiently-run, expensive and previously monopolistic airlines.

If you don't like the unconventional and brave, don't fly Ryanair.

But why do people carry on whining about something that is clearly great news for the people of Europe?; as I have said before, if Ryanair break the law, that is different, but I'd say most people outside of Airliners.Net would not be all that stuffed about these adverts......

What is obvious here, is that some members have something against Ryanair, and that this will come into every post they make regarding the airline. Ok, so I love Ryanair, and defend them in most cases, but only because I know that outside this board, everyone totally agrees with me; thank god they arrived!

As they say in England, the proof is in the pudding (the proof that they are successful lies in their profits!)

Regards

airsicknessbag

Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:59 pm

The same ad was in yesterday´s German newspapers. I don´t know exactly the content of the court injunction, but I believe that´s exactly was forbidden. Where does Mr. Loudmouth think he is, in the lawless Wild West??!?

And the crazy thing, beside the unfairness about comparing unrestricted Y-class tickets with "fly or die" H class tickets: they compare an FR flight HHN-Bournemouth with a flight FRA-BRU (LH) BRU-Southhampton (BA) - understandable you don´t get special fares on such a connexion...

Daniel Smile

Staffan

Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:08 pm

If I was the marketing manager in one of the attacked airlines, I would saw Ryanair to pieces in my adverts, comparing service, total travel time (including travel to/from airport), on-time departures and arrivals, seat pitch, and the way Ryanair handles their recruitment of new pilots...

AMSMAN

Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:08 pm

Well Said Capt.. Picard!!!

Ryanair is by far the cheapest airline. Ok, So it might fly to the minor airports but if they didn't and flew to the major airports then landing charges increase therefore ticket prices increase bringing the whole "Low Fares Airline" thing back to square one! You might as well fly BA or KLM all around Europe! When I flew to Brussels South (Charleroi) we had an extra 1 hour bus journey to endure to get into the heart of Brussels! This cost 250 BEF which is less than £5 UK. For the sake of an hour bus journey and to save a lot more money than flying To BRU with a National Airline, id recommend Ryanair every time!!!

AMSMAN

eugdog

Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:11 pm

BA tried to sue Ryannair but the judge found in favour of Ryannair.

But even I would find it unfair to compare a heavily restricted Ryannair ticket with a non restricted Alitalia ticket!

But if Ryannair are offering genuire one way tickets then they really non restricted tickets. Easy Jet do that and as result I am going to Nice on a day trip for £50 ($75)!

vfw614

Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:16 pm

Well, as long as they outline the difference in airports served etc., I have no problem with this kind of advertising

If only they did.

David_itl

Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:24 pm

Elaborating Vfw614's point, if they would put the name of the airports they serve in the same size typeface as the "big name" airport, then no one would complain!

Go to their website and the marquee banner at the top says Frankfurt. Not Hahn. Not even Frankfurt (Hahn). MISLEADING! Same with most of the way-out destinations.

David/MAN (or Liverpool East or Leed-Bradford West or Birmingham North or Carlisle South, dependent upon what Ryanair would like to call us)

airblue
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:24 pm

I agree with everybody who said that FR offer cheap fares. I experienced them yesterday on a day trip to London from VBS for only €53,45 including tax. I'm sure that without FR flying close to where I live I didn't go to London yesterday.

But the point is:

how compare a direct FR Hahn-Pescara (about 2 hours of flight) with a Pescara-Rome FCO with a new regional Italian airline that it hasn't started yet its operations, follow by not a direct AZ FCO-FRA, but a domestic FCO-LIN plus a LIN-FRA.
It's a non sense.
This kind of flight took at least 6 hours.

AMSMAN

Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:32 pm

Another example of Ryanair's cheap prices. I enquired into a 5 day return flight from DUB - BIR with Aer Lingus and was given the price: €105 plus. I was traveling with a friend so this added up to more than €210. I then checked the same dates on Ryanair and got 2 return tickets INCLUDING tax fro €118.56

In this case both airlines would be flying to the same airport so you don't have to worry about extra travel like Brussels!!

AMSMAN

eugdog

Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:38 pm

I have found that big airlines are competitive on leisure travelors but absolutely rip off for business travelors. Only EasyJet offer really good prices for business people

David_itl

Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:43 pm

I'm surprised you could get a fare to BIR which is Biratnagar in Nepal. No doubt Aer Lingus call it by that name and Ryanair use Delhi East  Wink/being sarcastic

David

D-aqui

Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:03 am

One has to be realistic about it:
1. We are living in a market economy;
2. Ryanair is aiming at a certain market segment, and people who have the time to travel from those remote airfields will go for a cheaper fare and spend the additional time on the road.
3. Anybody with only a slight knowledge knows that the high investments for expensive aircraft and operating costs have to be paid one way or another. So anybody with a bit of common sense should be aware that others on Ryanair will have to pay the bill as Ryanair a) wants to make a profit and b) cannot even pay the fuel for a flight on - for instance - 150 cheap tickets.
4. Fortunately our market economy forsees a number of mechanisms that do protect consumers from being mislead. And as the advertising of Ryanair (and other companies, e.g. telephone operators) may be trying to stretch the envelope to the outer bit, it is only fair if the courts do intervene. The majority of consumers are no aviation fanatics with a deeper insight into the true location of such clandestine destinations as "Brussels-South" and "Frankfurt-West".

So, maybe Ryanair will receive publicity for free, but let us be blunt about it: those methods are on the fringe of legality, and noone, not even those on this forum who accuse others to be whining, would like to be cheated by such advertising.

d-aqui

Andie007

Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:14 am

They did the same advertisement at FRA some weeks ago.

"LH - the most expensive german coffee."

racko

Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:27 am

did they really compare HHN-Bournemouth with a mixed LH / Ba connection ?

LOL, i start hating this Mr. O'leary ... he simply lies on the travellers. And the bad thing is, he wants the airlines to take him to court for publicity.

I think a court should do something against this, maybe they should forbid them landing in Germany for 2 weeks or so if ryanair continues to break court rulings.

charliecossie

Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:41 am

Racko:
I've no idea whether it was a mixed LH/BA flight but FR fly to Bournemouth and the LH flight was to Southampton. The two airports are 30 miles apart.
A bit like suggesting BHX and EMA are the same.......

manni

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:09 am

Perhaps Lufthansa is Germanys most expensive coffee, but Ryanair is no coffee. In fact, coffee onboard LH is free, and onboard FR you have to pay for it. Atleast that is what I have heard, as I would never fly this lowlife airline. So who has got the most expensive coffee here? Another misleading advertisement. Big grin

magyar

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:48 am

I have nothing against lowfare airlines, because they drive
the ticket prices down. However, my question is whether
it is wise for Ryanair to take on so many national airlines
at once. Sure, in the US there is Southwest, a brilliant
success story, but also there are numbers of startups
and lowfare airlines that did not make it! And I don't think
there is any crazy startups in the US who would take
on AA, UAL, Northwest on the same time!

Janos

racko

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:15 am

Charliecossie, only 30 miles ? That's really good for FR, Hahn is 120KM away from Frankfurt, a over 2 hours journey through the jungle & the desert, afghanistan is nothing against that  Smile We call it "Hunsrück" here

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos