Stansted-Eindhoven 2 daily flights
Stansted-Friederichshafen 2 daily flights
Stansted-Graz 2 daily flights
Stansted-Klagenfurt 2 daily flights
Stansted-Montpellier 2 daily flights
Charleroi - Liverpool
Charleroi - Rome (CIA)
Prestwick - Torp

I guess the Prestwick - Torp route is the result of the Prestwick - Hahn route now being flown with a Hahn-based aircraft (like the new Shannon-Beauvais route)

[email protected]

RE: Ryanair 11 New Routes

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:30 pm

What about Stansted - Torp? will it be shut down, or will Ryanair operate 2 routes from Torp?

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

IndianicWorld

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:30 pm

How many of these cities are new? And where is newquay? never heard of it.

ciao

David_itl

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:32 pm

Newquay is in the south west of Britain.

David/MAN

IndianicWorld

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:42 pm

Thanx David. So is there a market to newquay though? doesn't seem like a very long route though overall, and it is quite a high frequency of service...How big is he market there anyway?

Thanx

ciao

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:52 pm

So are the going to market tje EIN as a AMSTERDAM route in line with usual FR dirty tricks of false marketing?

vfw614
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:19 pm

to answer some of the questions:

@[email protected]: Until now, Ryanair serves Hahn from Prestwick and Shannon with PIK/SNN-based aircraft once daily. As these two routes will be taken over by Hahn-based aircraft, the PIK/SNN-based would sit idle at PIK/SNN. So Ryanair has already announced a new Shannon - Beauvais service and Prestwick - Torp will keep the Prestwick based aircraft busy. No effect on STN-TRP at all.

IndianicWorld Bergamo and Montpellier are not exactly new, both were already announced as new destinations from Hahn in November. Newquay, Eindhoven, Klagenfurt, Graz, Rome CIA, Friedrichshafen are new.
Newquay - RAF base St. Mawgan - is in competition with Brymon Airways that serves Newquay with DHC8-300s from London-Gatwick. Going by train / car to Cornwall from London takes quite some time so it is a good idea imho - although I would never have guessed it. I could even imagine that passengers from the continent will try to connect between Ryanair flights at STN to go to Cornwall - nice tourist place in the summer.

Interesting that Berlin did not get a route, as it was widely rumoured in the German press to get a STN link. Another candidate that did not make it is Linz in Austria. However, Austria is now well served with three destinations (maybe Bratislava in Slovakia would make sense to serve Vienna in the future).

Bit of a surprise that they use the additional Charleroi-based aircraft for a Liverpool route instead of a flight to Bergamo/Milan.

vfw614
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:22 pm

KRP

Dunno, but the press release says for example "Milan", not "Milan (Bergamo)" or "Bergamo (Milan)"

airblue

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:25 pm

Does anyone know if the new 4 flights to Bergamo mean no more flights to Brescia??
These two airports in the north of Italy are only 40 Km far, so it seem unlikely that this area could support 6 daily flights to Stansted.
As far as I remember, Buzz drops its 3 flights to Milan Linate from the end of March and GO also reduces from 3 to 2 the number of daily flights to Milan Linate.
What's wrong with this airport??

vfw614
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:29 pm

Airblue

I just checked Ryanair's booking engine; Brescia does not appear there anymore if you try to book a flight. It was widely rumoured that Bergamo would be a replacement for Brescia rather than an additional market. Hard times for Brescia airport, first the loss of Alpi Eagles on the FCO route and now Ryanair is gone (btw, is Gandalf already using a leased Fokker 50 on VBS-FCO ?)

airblue

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:30 pm

This is the official press realased:

January 31st, 2002:

RYANAIR ANNOUNCES EIGHT NEW ROUTES FROM LONDON STANSTED TO EUROPE Ryanair to Save European Air Travellers more than £1.5 billion

Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline this morning (31 Jan. 02) in London announced 8 new routes from London Stansted to Continental Europe and 3 new routes from Glasgow Prestwick, Liverpool and Brussels Charleroi.

The eight new routes to be operated from London Stansted are as follows; Destination Start Date Frequency RyanairOne way Fares From High Fare Competitors(Lowest o.w. Fares) %Saving
Rome (Italy) 4 April 02 6 Daily Flights £19 £32.50(Go) 41%
Milan (Italy) 4 April 02 4 Daily Flights £19 £32.50(Go) 41%
Newquay (England) 4 April 02 2 Daily Flights £39 £156(BA) 75%
Eindhoven (Holland) 4 April 02 2 Daily Flights £59 £277(BA) 78%
Friedrichshafen (Germany) 4 April 02 2 Daily Flights £59 £433(BA) 86%
Graz (Austria) 4 April 02 2 Daily Flights £59 £435(BA) 86%
Klagenfurt (Austria) 27 June 02 2 Daily Flights £59 £435(BA) 86%
Montpellier (France) 4 April 02 2 Daily Flights £59 £459(BA) 87%

This Summer, Ryanair will be entering Holland for the first time competing head to head with KLM and BA, offering fares that are 78% cheaper than the ‘rip-off’ flag carriers. In addition, Ryanair will also be adding new services from Glasgow Prestwick to Oslo Torp; Liverpool to Brussels Charleroi; and a new route to Rome Ciampino from its Brussels Charleroi base.

Last week, Ryanair announced a new long term partnership with Boeing, for the purchase of up to 150 new Boeing 737-800 aircraft. Ryanair will operate a fleet of 44 Boeing 737’s this summer on 75 routes to 13 countries. This new aircraft order will enable Ryanair to continue to grow its passenger traffic to over 40 million passengers per annum, which could make Ryanair not just Europe’s largest low fare carrier, but Europe’s No.1 international scheduled airline.

Speaking today at the announcement, Ryanair’s Chief Executive, Michael O’Leary said,

“This will be Ryanair’s biggest and most successful Summer Schedule - ever.

With these 8 new destinations and our first route to Holland (Eindhoven), we will continue our policy of offering choice and low fare competition to British Airways, Alitalia, SAS, KLM, Lufthansa and all of Europe’s high fare carriers. As the comparative fares above show, Europe’s consumers have been and are still being ripped off by the high fare carriers.

“Our new routes to Rome and Milan bring the total number of destinations in Italy to twelve. Ryanair will now carry more passengers than British Airways or Alitalia between the U.K. and Italy.

“Our new routes to Graz and Klagenfurt bring our total number of destinations in Austria to three, these are in addition to our already hugely successful route to Salzburg where we have carried over 150,000 passengers in the first year.

“Our new route to Friedrichshafen is our third destination in Germany along with Frankfurt Hahn and Hamburg(Lubeck).

“And now for the first time the people of Cornwall and the West Country will have access to Ryanair’s low fares with our new domestic route from London to Newquay.

“This Summer Ryanair will fly on 75 routes around Europe, with a fleet of 44 Boeing 737 aircraft, we expect to carry over 12 million passengers who will save over £1.5 billion compared to the high fares being charged by our competitors.”

airblue

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:32 pm

Yes, Gandalf started to fly to Rome FCO with 3 daily flights with Do 328 since last week.
At the moment the flights don't work very well.

AMSMAN

Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:04 pm

Id love to see Ryanair fly Dublin to Eindhoven....sure drop the price of tickets with aer lingus!!!

AMSMAN
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

airblue

Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:25 pm

I have just checked the FR timetable and I discovered the 6 flights talked in the press relased to Rome Ciampino are 3 daily flights in each directions, also the 4 flights to Milan BGY are in fact two daily flights.
They keep the Brescia route. In the booking engine is under the name Verona-Brescia.

sobelair

Klagenfurt?

Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:43 pm

Hi!

Just yesterday I have read in Austrian daily newspaper, under the title: AUA gets new competition! that Ryanair will not fly to Klagenfurt. Instead, they will fly twice daily to Graz. The article mentioned longer turn around time as a issue of switching to Graz, but what it actually meant I have no clue whatsoever. I know that Klagenfurt isn't that crowded, so why would that be a problem at Klagenfurt I don't know...
Austrian is nervous, they could lose pasengers to London anyway...and they claim that their "recovery" plan has not yet produced wanted results!

Furthemore, apparently a new airline will be formed in Graz, and will fly to Munich and Stuttgart.

P.S.
I know I am planning to take Ryanair from Salzburg to London, rather than to take AUA from Vienna...

Wink/being sarcastic

ckw

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:15 pm

Not mentioned is a new Bournemouth-Frankfurt route - daily I believe

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

IndianicWorld

RE: Klagenfurt?

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:26 pm

Aren't they flying to both destinations? I didn't even think they flew there originally so how can they swap?

ciao

vfw614
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:40 pm

Aren't they flying to both destinations? I didn't even think they flew there originally so how can they swap?

They indeed will fly to both KLU (from end of June) and GRZ (from April). In Austria, they also negotiated with Linz (LNZ) but could not strike a deal with them, maybe that's the reason for confusion.

Not mentioned is a new Bournemouth-Frankfurt route - daily I believe

HHN - BOH was announced back in November 2001 when they launched the new base at HHN.

IndianicWorld

Overexpansion?

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:47 pm

Thanx for that info vfm614....I really do think that Ryanair are in danger of over expansion and ending up as the nest swissair or sabena. It looks like they have had a gradual growth pattern up till now, and now they have applied full power and have gone overboard.

ciao

airblue

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:59 pm

With the new routes Ryanair will attack at the same time LH, OS and AZ, plus of course BA, BD and now we will see again FR and GO to fly on the same route, this time STN-CIA.
Last time on the DUB- Edinburgh/Glasgow FR won and GO dropped the routes.

Sure FR managments (with MoL in pole position) think to know well and have some power on the market, cause their decision to start an aggressive competition against 3 largest airlines at the same time is very dangerous. Expecially if all your competitor talk and decide to stop you.

manni

RE: Overexpansion?

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:59 pm

Indianic World, I hope you are right about this! The sooner the better! Big grin

ILOVEA340

RE: Klagenfurt?

Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:03 pm

Friedrichshafen is most likely the coice due to the fact that they could not get a good deal at any swiss airports.

IndianicWorld

RE: Overexpansion?

Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:04 pm

Manni i see your not a fan of Ryanair either...well done.

Why do low cost carriers keep trying to compete with each other, when their ideal position is to attack the higher cost majors, with their higher operating costs. We in Australia already saw Virgin Blue and Impulse fight it out, and it saw Impulse go.

The STN-CIA route is just another example of a stupid business decision IMO.... STN also seems to be just too over served, as I think that airlines are running out of places to go without overlapping. How can all stay competitive operating from the same airport anyway?

ciao

CroFlight

Ryanair...

Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:10 pm

There's been a rumour that BA is shutting down the flight from London to Zagreb (LGW-ZAG) this spring, eventhough the load factor is really high.
Croatia Airlines can't cover all the needs for that route with it's daily ZAG-LHR flight, because of the lack of aircrafts.
Also, there is more need for additional seasonal flights from different cities in UK to croatian coast (25 % raise last year, 30 % predicted for 2002.).

Is there a chance that Ryanair will jump in? Huh... we're dying for the low-cost carrier here in ZAG...

CroFlight

racko

Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:12 pm

please, please stop calling Hahn frankfurt. That's maybe the worst joke i've ever heard. You could call it nowhere-hahn, hunsrueck-hahn, jungle-hahn or something, but it is not Frankfurt. The guy who decided this must have been on drugs or something...

IndianicWorld

Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:18 pm

CroFlight, the way they are expanding theres a possibility sure, but they like to use underutilised airports....That means there must be another destination it can call Zagreb-south or something. Are there any other airports it could use just to be different than the rest?

Racko, I totally agree with you on the Frankfurt thing, as 100kms is not what I call close, actually no where near close to Frankfurt. They continue this marketing gimick but somehow it will fail when people see just how far these places really are from the destination.... Oslo, Milan, Frankfurt....without the use of the name it wouldnt be such a good fare would it? its all marketing and product positioning.

ciao

f.pier

Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:27 am

I've tried to book a return flight from Brescia to London, departure on 01 august 2002 and return 7 september 2002 and it still works.

I hope them to keep the flights to Brescia.

airsicknessbag

Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:33 am

Isn´t Ciampino actually closer to the city centre than Fiumicino? I somehow seem to remember that, though I can´t check that right now, I don´t have my OAG with me right now.
Daniel Smile

airblue

Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:47 am

Yes, Rome Ciampino is closer to Rome downtown than Fiumicino.
Rome CIA = 14 Km
Rome FCO= 35 Km

But FCO airport is better connect to the center with both underground and express train.
CIA terminal is at only 2km from the nearest train station. A shuttle bus run between terminal and train station.

Rome CIA was the main airport untill when during the 60's the new FCO was built.
This airport is used mainly by charters and govern jets.

airsicknessbag

Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:52 am

Ah, it would have been a miracle if FR for once had chosen the closer airport  Wink/being sarcastic - at least it´s geographically closer if not time-wise.

Daniel Smile

vfw614
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:40 pm

Hmm, I think other than Ciampino the closests airfield capable of handling a B737 would have been Perugia and Pescara (not sure about Perugia; Debonair used to fly there with B146s ans I seem to remember that the runway is only 1.500m or so). I mean, both are only 100 miles away from Rome and that could have easily made them a candidate for becoming Rome (East) and Rome (North).

LJ

Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:56 pm

The funny thing is Ryanair compares its fares with BA fares. Only one problem. BA doesn't fly from Eindhoven anymore. Leaves only the 4 daily flights of KLMexel to STn and LHR.

BTW it looks as if Ryanair is more expansive than easyJet as EZY does LGW/LTN-AMS for GBP 12.5 one way.

Regards
Laurens

vfw614
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2002 6:40 pm

Yeah, I think they have gone completely insane now, comparing for example a Pescara- Rom FCO - Milan LIN - Frankfurt fare as the "Lufthansa fare" with their Pescara - Hahn fare. Probably next is comparing a Frankfurt to London via Sydney fare by LH with their STN-HHN fares. I think they are beginning to make a fool of themselves.

LJ

Fri Feb 01, 2002 7:10 pm

Vfw614, I almost agree with you. I always thought that Ryanair was a professional airline. However, a professional doesn't make mistakes the way Ryanair is doing right now. i'm beginning to see Ryanair as a less professional airline who can't even afford a decent marketing department (let alone customer care department) to check it's advertisements before they issue them.

Is the bubble is finally showing signs of bursting? Can't Ryanair cope with its size. I think these questions will become more and more an issue for Ryanair.

Regards
Laurens

PW100

Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:19 pm

Vfw614

Eindhoven Airport website http://www.eindhovenairport.nl shows that Ryanair is starting one daily flight to Stansted starting 4 Apr. When will they start the second flight? You stated that they would do it double daily...
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

David_itl

Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:00 pm

On BBC regional news last night, they said that the long-term deal they had with LPL would initially see them fly to to the other hubs including FRA...oops that's Frankfurt (Hahn) or as it should be known as, Hahn.

David/MAN

LJ

Sat Feb 02, 2002 1:54 am

PW100 it was in one of Ryanairs press releases. However, apparantly you can't rely on press releases issued by this airline.

Regards
Laurens

conair

Sat Feb 02, 2002 2:20 am

As regards what David from MAN says according to TV and what I have read, Ryanair have signed a 10 year deal (exactly what I dont know, but presumably something similar to the deal Easyjet has) with Liverpool to develop Liverpool as it's North of England hub and will eventually link up with a lot of other Ryanair destinations. As regards Newquay, at first it does seem a bit unlikely but when you think about it, it is about a 6 hour motorway trip from London (In summer can take a lot longer) the rail connections to the west country are not all that good also with a thriving tourist industry on the Cornish Riviera as it is known. For those who dont know Newquay is quite popular for surfing, I can see the possibilities. Allways nice to see a new service out of Liverpool, I hope it does well.

Regards
Conair

LJ

Sat Feb 02, 2002 2:29 am

Guys I like Ryanair's EUR/GBP exchange rates. I just received the following mail from Ryanair:

London Stansted to Eindhoven
Daily flight from 4th April
Fares from Stg £59 one way including taxes ex London
and from Euro 59 one way including taxes ex Eindhoven

Thank God I live in The Netherlands or else I would have paid almost 50% more (unfortuneately they're still more expansive than easyJet)

Regards
Laurens

vfw614
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2002 2:43 am

Eindhoven Airport website http://www.eindhovenairport.nl shows that Ryanair is starting one daily flight to Stansted starting 4 Apr. When will they start the second flight? You stated that they would do it double daily

As Laurens correctly pointed out, I simply took it from the Ryanair website. As we all know, Ryanair is very much into exaggerating, so what they call 6 flights to Rome, 4 to Bergamo or 2 to Eindhoven are in fact not "rotations", but departures AND arrivals - same when they launched their Hahn base: They were talking ablut 30 daily flights all the time and it took me a while to find out that they meant departures AND arrivals. So two Eindhoven flights mean 1 depature and 1 arrival which makes in Ryanair's wisdom two flights.....

Should have made that clear in my earlier posting, I must admit.

Quite interesting by the way that in their German press release they say that the Eindhoven flight will also target the German market, with Duisburg and Dusseldorf only some 65 miles away from EIN. It will be interesting to see if many passengers will opt to fly Ryanair from EIN when Buzz is offering flights from DUS thrice daily for some 50 Euros one-way all incl.

PW100

Sat Feb 02, 2002 7:30 am

Vfv614

Thanx for the clarification. Seems like Ryanair is absolutely totally unchalleged league leader in misinforming the public. How on earth can one run an airline like that when they are [mis]informing their clients like that! Just proofs it that money, or in this case the lack of that pax have to pay, talks...

Laurens:
London Stansted to Eindhoven
Daily flight from 4th April
Fares from Stg £59 one way including taxes ex London
and from Euro 59 one way including taxes ex Eindhoven

Thank God I live in The Netherlands or else I would have paid almost 50% more (unfortuneately they're still more expansive than easyJet).

Laurens, dont hold your breath. you will fly for Euro 59 to Stansted, however I would imagine that you will not stay there forever!! So that's 59 Euro plus 59 pounds for a return trip. Who's fooling who.  Big grin
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

vfw614
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2002 9:44 am

The tax or whatever fees at STN are outrageously high compared to the "provincial" airports served from STN. I just checked it for HHN-STN and the applicable taxes for Hahn are 3 Euro something while they are for STN 26 Euro something:

25 € fare + 3.80 € tax = ~ 29 € for HHN-STN
25 € fare + 26 € tax = 51 € STN-HHN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos