kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Good afternoon and welcome to our first thread on the Next Generation A.net!

The last thread has seen some interesting developments:
- WW dangling the prospect of an A380 in EI colours
- QR due to add DUB (and LAS) next year
- More new Ryanair 737-800s (and Stobart streamlines its ATR fleet)
- Traffic figures rise for DUB
- Shane Ross becomes minister for transport
- IATA conference held in DUB - and first C-series passenger carrying flight leaves for ZRH
- First Cityjet SSJs arrive.

Let's hope we see the positive news continue through the Summer!

Here's a link to 8/16, if anyone wants to refer back:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=607105&start=150

OA260

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:14 pm

Thanks for the new thread. Starting to get used to the new design and layout now. :D

Anyone know how many new style interior FR have now in the fleet?

---

Donegal should help pay for running costs of City of Derry Airport: council told

Donegal and other council areas whose constituents use City of Derry Airport should have to contribute towards the running of the Eglinton facility, it has been suggested.

Ratepayers in the Derry City and Strabane District Council area currently provide £3.4m towards the running of the airport, with an additional £369,000 required last year due to ‘commercial challenges’ brought on by the loss of the Birmingham route.

http://www.derrynow.com/news/donegal-sh ... told/97312

ClassicLover

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:44 pm

Do you know what I am very excited about this year? The SuperJet with CityJet. I'm really looking forward to flying on the aircraft. I hope they communicate and announce when it goes onto a route so that we can try to get on it. That being said, from Dublin it'll be 2018 according to the airline. Tick tock haha!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:53 pm

You could always do a Pilgrimage to LDE and get on it that way :lol: There was a media/VIP flight around Ireland this morning that lasted an hour. Some nice pics online.

Cipango

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:11 pm

OA260 wrote:
Anyone know how many new style interior FR have now in the fleet?

Around 40/41. First new delivery with the new seats was EI-FIW - delivered 27th October, 2015.

If you get a reg with EI-FRx, EI-FOx or EI-FIW/FIY/FIZ then you have one with the new seats.

I'm a huge fan of the new interiors myself and it's something EI should be afraid of. Ryanair are making their experience a lot less stressful and with the added legroom of the new seats, there's little fault that can be found.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

OA260

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks for the info. Yes I agree I love the new interiors. The LGW-BFS had 174 onboard which was pretty impressive. People who never would have thought of flying them are now doing so. With the two bags and cutting out all the BS they used to try to pull they are certainly a new airline. Just need to fix the BOB its still not great.

Also the greetings on the wall in various languages is a nice touch.

shamrock350

Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:54 am

Disappointing to see Ryanair seemingly scale back at Shannon...again. Give it a year or two and they'll be back grabbing the headlines with a wave of new routes, aircraft and jobs and declaring themselves the saviour of the airport.

New cabin is nice and all but nowhere near the same level of other Sky Interior customers. The legroom looks brilliant and puts the likes of Lufty and BA to shame but it'll all be forgotten about once the 737-8MAX-200 or whatever they're calling it arrives.

I've found it interesting recently to compare the "nice" Ryanair with one of its biggest rivals, Wizzair. I fly both regularly at the moment and while W6 take you for every penny, they still come out on top when on board. The cabin crew are fantastic, I've been welcomed by name on more than one occasion, they're gracious and professional, hard working but never manic and will go out of their way to help you in any way and all without a heavy sigh or eye roll in sight. The on board menu is a little basic but good quality and there's some good value deals in there as well, cabins are always spotless too. Downside is they charge for absolutely everything, the cabin bag charge being the worst, and they strictly enforce it too!

Either way it's an airline very similar to Ryanair that has yet to follow them down the nice road because they're already pretty nice and always were. Sorely missed from Cork I'm sure, had a nice selection of routes there at one point.

ClassicLover wrote:
Do you know what I am very excited about this year? The SuperJet with CityJet. I'm really looking forward to flying on the aircraft. I hope they communicate and announce when it goes onto a route so that we can try to get on it. That being said, from Dublin it'll be 2018 according to the airline. Tick tock haha!

I'm looking forward to flying this aircraft as well, looks pretty nifty but I'd be worried about the direction CityJet are heading in the meantime. I really hope they've got plenty of work lined up for the SuperJet and fast or it could break them. Ordering an aircraft that isn't certified for use at your major base of operation is a seriously questionable business move and if this was any of the other Irish airlines we would have ripped them apart by now.

OA260

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:25 am

CityJet to showcase SuperJet at air show

CItyJet will showcase its new Sukhoi SuperJet at the world's biggest airshow in Farnborough next month as both the airline and the manufacturer aim to lure customers for the aircraft.
CityJet is hoping to secure so-called wet lease customers, where CityJet would operate flights on their behalf using the aircraft. It already has a substantial wet lease business through its Blue 1 subsidiary in Scandinavia.

http://www.independent.ie/business/city ... 05109.html

hispanola

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:44 pm

dstc47 wrote:
Perhaps the most extraordinary cross border air service is proposed with pro-choice groups intend to deliver abortion pills by drone into Northern Ireland from the Republic.

Story from the Independent follows.
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/wo ... 06181.html

That is the strangest thing I've read in quite some time. It sounds very controversial and I wonder whether it's legal or not. This will probably make the Six One and Nine News on RTÉ.
✈️

EI320

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:46 pm

Sadly, the unique character and brand that this site once had seems to have been completely destroyed. It doesn't even look or feel like a.net anymore.

321neo

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:59 pm

EI320 wrote:
Sadly, the unique character and brand that this site once had seems to have been completely destroyed. It doesn't even look or feel like a.net anymore.

It would appear to be a case of too many changes all at once. Perhaps a more gradual redesign would have been better. Hopefully the site will soon be updated to make it more user-friendly. For me it's over an out for now.

OA260

Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:15 pm

daa To Host North Runway Public Information And Consultation Events

daa will host two public information and consultation events over the coming weeks to provide an opportunity for local residents and community groups to view at first-hand the plans for Dublin Airport’s new runway.

The 3,110m North Runway was granted planning permission in 2007 and will be located within existing daa lands. North Runway will facilitate the creation of 31,200 new jobs over the next 20 years, as well as contributing an extra €2.2 billion to the Irish economy. The development of the runway will allow the airport to grow for the benefit of the Irish economy by supporting additional trade, tourism and foreign direct investment in Ireland.

North Runway is also a highly significant strategic project for the Fingal area, which has been a major beneficiary of the economic activity at Dublin Airport. The airport currently supports about 97,000 jobs, one-quarter of which is held by Fingal residents.

daa has said previously that two of the existing runway planning conditions impact the airport’s ability to accommodate future demand at key operational times. This would mean that the airport would have less capacity with two runways during these key periods than it currently has with one.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... ion-events

Dublinspotter

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:45 pm

Greetings all!

I was active on here a while ago but I am hopefully back for good!

I now reside in Scotland rather Northern Ireland which offers far more flying opportunities than it used to!

One flight stood out recently which was a nice change was EIR from EDI - DUB - EDI.
Absolutely fantastic flights both ways, flying over I was on EI-FAX and returning EI-REI. Much respect for the ATR but I noted the loads which were very healthy (75-85%). EIR and BE are now my first port of call from Edinburgh reason being price and convenience on my part.

Took this picture on the approach in, hope you like and see y'all laters! :)

Dublinspotter

ClassicLover

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:58 pm

OA260 wrote:
CityJet is hoping to secure so-called wet lease customers, where CityJet would operate flights on their behalf using the aircraft. It already has a substantial wet lease business through its Blue 1 subsidiary in Scandinavia.

I bet they are, as they really have nowhere else to run the aircraft if they don't get some wet lease customers for it! It's very surprising that Sukhoi say it will be certified for LCY in 2017 and CityJet are not planning to commence until 2018. It seems like a very long time! Maybe they are planning to do a big bang switch?

OA260

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:42 am

Aer Lingus has 'bolstered' IAG as Walsh dismisses Brexit threat

Aer Lingus is helping to bolster IAG's ambition to become a leader on the transatlantic market, IAG chief executive Willie Walsh told shareholders at the company's annual general meeting in Madrid.
And he also insisted that a possible Brexit will have no material, long-term impact on the airline group.

Mr Walsh said that integration of Aer Lingus has gone well, and that the airline is in a "really strong position" to grow from its Dublin hub.

IAG acquired Aer Lingus last year for €1.36bn and has since expanded its transatlantic services from Dublin. Mr Walsh told IAG shareholders that Aer Lingus is a "profitable, well-run company with a strong brand, resilient business model and a low cost base".

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 08596.html

stratocruiser

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:05 am

Dublinspotter wrote:
Greetings all!

I was active on here a while ago but I am hopefully back for good!

I now reside in Scotland rather Northern Ireland which offers far more flying opportunities than it used to!

One flight stood out recently which was a nice change was EIR from EDI - DUB - EDI.
Absolutely fantastic flights both ways, flying over I was on EI-FAX and returning EI-REI. Much respect for the ATR but I noted the loads which were very healthy (75-85%). EIR and BE are now my first port of call from Edinburgh reason being price and convenience on my part.

Took this picture on the approach in, hope you like and see y'all laters! :)

A nice shot of good old Dunsoghly Castle! At one time this used to be the main visual holding point for light aircraft approaching DUB from the west and I flew many a holding pattern over this during my happy years flying with the Irish Aero Club out of Iona. This was in the days before runway 10/28 was built and the Irish Aero Club got the boot out of DUB, but as it is now under the approach to 10, I assume it is no longer a visual holding point!

Lofty

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:10 am

Love the shadow of the aircraft great photo.

Eagleboy

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:31 pm

Cipango wrote:
......I'm a huge fan of the new interiors myself and it's something EI should be afraid of. Ryanair are making their experience a lot less stressful and with the added legroom of the new seats, there's little fault that can be found.

I didnt think it was that many, they are really rolling them out from Everett!
But I would 100% agree with you, the new interior is definitely a huge threat to EI. As is their overall re-positioning as a brand. FR as now moving into that "value carrier" niche that Mr Mueller moved EI into 5 yrs ago. Now under the current Exec team we have EI slipping back as they try to cut costs rather than maintain a brand identity gap between themselves and FR.

Eagleboy

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:42 pm

Am not a fan of the new site either.
-Far far too much screen space taken up with adverts. Actual user interface is dull and hard to see. Will no longer be using my phone to look at A.net. The front page of civil aviation used to show 40-50 threads,now it shows 8-10. Not a good design choice for a 24 hour global discussion forum. This will annoy non-members who browsed the site, ie who cant bookmark threads. Which is who the large paid adverts are aimed at.
-Previous site was very user friendly.
-I mostly use a laptop. Font is too small,found this hard to type due print size.
-I actually wanted to add these thoughts as an edit to my above post but there no longer seems to be the ability to edit you own posts within an hour.

Cipango

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:51 pm

Eagleboy wrote:
-I actually wanted to add these thoughts as an edit to my above post but there no longer seems to be the ability to edit you own posts within an hour.

If you click the settings style gear with an arrow pointing down, this will give you the option to edit your post. You can edit indefinitely now I believe, not just within an hour.

Gives us a little more control over our post without the need to bothers mods.

The new site has some good sides but I miss a lot of the features of the old site.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

OA260

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:59 pm

Couple on cloud nine following engagement on Aer Lingus flight

It was a champagne supernova flight for the happy couple who got engaged while suspended in the blue skies yesterday.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/ ... 05566.html

ClassicLover

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:39 pm

I retweeted the above myself today! So cute :)

Eagleboy

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:50 pm

Cipango wrote:
Eagleboy wrote:

If you click the settings style gear with an arrow pointing down, this will give you the option to edit your post. You can edit indefinitely now I believe, not just within an hour.

Gives us a little more control over our post without the need to bothers mods.

The new site has some good sides but I miss a lot of the features of the old site.
That only gives me the option of reporting a post

OA260

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:35 pm

Weird it should show this :

Even on my older posts I can do it. Maybe change browser Im using Firefox.

JAmie2k9

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:55 pm

Anyone's account logging out itself every so often even if you have ticked "Remember Me"?

SuperSix2

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:35 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Anyone's account logging out itself every so often even if you have ticked "Remember Me"?

Yea same here, have tried on both Firefox & Chrome. No luck.

ClassicLover

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Yes, mine too - no big deal, but god it would be nice to have the colours not white.

JAmie2k9

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:23 pm

Today IB Express launched Cork-Madrid and it had some very healthy numbers especially the first flight out of Cork.

MAD-ORK - 135 / 180 = 75%
ORK-MAD - 115 / 180 = 64%

Hopefully a few Business seats were filled. By all accounts it will be a successful if they manage to build on those loads.

http://www.twitter.com/CorkAirport/stat ... 8967358465

ThrottleHold

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:08 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:

Same here.
The site is now practically unusable on a mobile device.
One of the biggest f*ck ups of a site redesign that I've ever seen. The people in charge of it couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery in my opinion.

It's so bad, that I can't really be bothered even looking at the forums anymore.

propchaser

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:46 am

The saying " If it is not Broke d'ont Fix It " comes to mind as regards the revamp of this site , it has become Tiresome and Boring trying to browse the Forums

OA260

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:22 am

Clampdown on hidden airline fees announced by aviation watchdog

The Civil Aviation Authority will assess whether airlines present costs in an 'open and clear' way
Hidden fees charged by airlines for services such as changing a name on a ticket or checking in at the airport rather than online are set to be clamped down on by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

The watchdog will assess whether costs are presented to customers in an “open and clear” way in its review of every airline selling tickets in the UK.

This is so “people understand what they are actually paying for” and avoid being stung by extra charges not made clear from the outset, said a CAA spokesperson.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 89096.html

aerdingus

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:31 am

I'm all for change. I thought the site looked great upon first glance. Then I tried to actually use the site...pain trying to read through the forums...not much pictures to see on the home page...it looks ok on my iPhone but even on the laptop the search function doesn't work for photos! I'll be giving them a little more time to sort it out, and trying to follow things as best as I can. Love the EI proposal story, lovely.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

Revelation

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:54 pm

aerdingus wrote:
I'm all for change. I thought the site looked great upon first glance. Then I tried to actually use the site...pain trying to read through the forums...not much pictures to see on the home page...it looks ok on my iPhone but even on the laptop the search function doesn't work for photos! I'll be giving them a little more time to sort it out, and trying to follow things as best as I can. Love the EI proposal story, lovely.

Re: Search: you may want to tick Advanced on the right, it brings back some of the search features that used to be there by default.

See also the New Site FAQ: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335405
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

nightfox365

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:30 pm

Why cant we get back to what the thread is actually about and not the site design?

In other news, you don't have to be a premium member to post in the forums anymore, as I have not renewed my sub to a.net for a long time.
Flown on: bae146, bn2 islander, 741, A320, A321, A333, A332, MD80, 738, AT76, Cessna 150, Piper Cherokee.

aerdingus

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:33 pm

Revelation wrote:
aerdingus wrote:

Re: Search: you may want to tick Advanced on the right, it brings back some of the search features that used to be there by default.

See also the New Site FAQ: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335405

Ok, thanks for that
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

conflats

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:46 pm

Hi all

First time posting on a.net

Was on the 22.00 flight from STN-DUB on Ryanair on Thursday and was delayed 2hrs and from chatting to a few people working in airport it seems this flight is suffering delays a lot lately with a few friends on same flight Wednesday also delayed...

Question is are these delays due to to tight scheduling of the aircraft and delays picked up during day causing this or is it the lads in France striking every second day it seems at this stage?

Tia
Cf

OA260

Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Plane makes emergency landing at Dublin Airport

A transatlantic flight made an emergency landing at Dublin Airport this afternoon.

United Airlines flight 31 was travelling from Munich in Germany to Newark in the US. When it was northwest of Donegal, the crew declared an emergency.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0619/796701-news-in-brief/

JAmie2k9

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:37 pm

conflats wrote:
Hi all

First time posting on a.net

Was on the 22.00 flight from STN-DUB on Ryanair on Thursday and was delayed 2hrs and from chatting to a few people working in airport it seems this flight is suffering delays a lot lately with a few friends on same flight Wednesday also delayed...

Question is are these delays due to to tight scheduling of the aircraft and delays picked up during day causing this or is it the lads in France striking every second day it seems at this stage?

Tia
Cf

Lots of reasons but FR OTP stats for May dropped 3% on 2015 to 89%. I think delays are becoming a lot more common but guess central airports and all of the above reasons as well.

snnus

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:33 pm

shamrock350

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:30 am

snnus wrote:

Again?! Quite the reputation those BA pilots are building at DUB.

OA260

Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:02 am

Bumper sales figures for retail outlets at Belfast International Airport

New record sales figures have been achieved by retail outlets and restaurants and bars at Belfast International Airport.

Even before the start of the summer getaway, units operating at the airport are reporting growth in sales of up to 25% - boosted by the ‘airlift’ of thousands of Northern Ireland fans heading to France for the Euro 2016 championship.

All food and bar outlets operated by SSP and Fed & Watered are experiencing “quite remarkable results, week-on-week”, according to Brian Carlin, Belfast International Airport Director of Commercial Development.

Retail outlets including stationers, duty free and clothing, are also enjoying increased demand.

http://www.ballymenatimes.com/news/ball ... -1-7436740

OA260

Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:50 am

Stobart Air's takeover talks move up a gear

Takeover talks between CityJet and Stobart Air have intensified, with signs a deal could be soon ready to land, the Irish Independent has learned.

The two Dublin-based airlines have been involved in negotiations for a number of months with a view to CityJet striking a merger deal with the Stobart Air business, which operates the Aer Lingus Regional service.
That was initially just one of a number of options being explored by Stobart.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 15448.html

bx737

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:02 am

I see the former EI-CLY has been damaged in a landing over run while operating for Mahan Air
http://avherald.com/h?article=499fedbc&opt=0

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:38 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
snnus wrote:

Again?! Quite the reputation those BA pilots are building at DUB.

Yes, and this time other crews backed the ATC person; frankly, the ATC person was extremely professional and quite rightly, didn't engage in an argument with him. The BA guy was being prissy and awkward; it would be interesting to see what his flight safety report said. Don't see that he has any grounds for one.

To borrow a quote from the FR pilot: "tool"!

eicvd

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:43 pm

OA260 wrote:

A transatlantic flight made an emergency landing at Dublin Airport this afternoon.

United Airlines flight 31 was travelling from Munich in Germany to Newark in the US. When it was northwest of Donegal, the crew declared an emergency.

Another UA diverted in again this evening, saw it on Flightradar, departed LHR.
COYBIB

JAmie2k9

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:04 pm

eicvd wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Another UA diverted in again this evening, saw it on Flightradar, departed LHR.

It was scheduled UA LHR-DUB, yes very long routing but that was planned routing.

Eirules

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:04 am

Reports this morning that "one of the world's major airlines" will announce direct flights to Dublin at noon today....

Has to be QR right??
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

aerlingussnn

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:10 am

hello everyone! I've been looking at this thread since I was 16 and finally decided to join!
anyways for anyone wondering about the Omni Air livery for the Boston to Shannon route, I can confirm that it is just the Omni Air livery and nothing has been changed at all. Not one shamrock in site. its a shame really

BestWestern

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:35 am

The Indo is mentioning QR this morning. Daily sounds like a gulf carrier rather than a East Asian one.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

OA260

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:37 am

Re DUB-DOH The route will start May 2017 .

-----

Damaged part lead to oil bleed that caused flight from Knock Airport to be diverted
It has emerged that an oil bleed, due to a damaged bearing washer, caused a serious incident on a Flybe flight from Knock Airport in July of last year.

Air accident investigators have established the plane was climbing when the crew were alerted by a strange odour after a smoke alarm went off in one of the toilets.

Smoke then became visible in both the cabin and flight deck, and the crew were forced to put on their oxygen masks.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 40846.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos