richcandy

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:57 am

cc47 wrote:
So, UK voted for the Brexit and now I am wondering what affects this will have on Irish Aviation, will we see more flights into DUB and will FR have to cut back UK services?
Thanks

No one knows and that's the sad thing. Just over half the UK population voted to leave the EU with no idea what that really means. We don't know what the UK will look like after it exits the EU.

The people of Scotland voted to stay in the EU but as there is a larger population in England and Wales they have been out voted. So in effect As things stand they will be taken out of the EU against their will. Well there is a very good chance that the people of Scotland will be given the opportunity to leave the UK again.

Northern Ireland also voted to remain in the EU and with a land boarder with the republic who knows what's going to happen there. Personally I can't see the EU letting the republic trade with the north and v/v in the same way as they do now. Will that mean a full and international boarder with the republic and no freedom of movement. Will it mean a vote on a united Ireland, will it mean the end of the peace process. We might end up with a United Kingdom of England and Wales, who knows.

I think it's going to take years to sort this mess out and until then I guess not a lot will change.

JAmie2k9

Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:08 pm

cc47 wrote:
So, UK voted for the Brexit and now I am wondering what affects this will have on Irish Aviation, will we see more flights into DUB and will FR have to cut back UK services?
Thanks

Don't see major changes however FR and W6 money spinning on UK-Eastern Europe flights could be somewhat reduced in the coming years.

The whole open sky's will remain despite what some might say, Europe cannot afford to be really harsh on the UK.

Wille was quick to change his tune (at least publicly) from no impact on IAG to a profit warning!

cc47

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:33 pm

richcandy wrote:
Will it mean a vote on a united Ireland, will it mean the end of the peace process. We might end up with a United Kingdom of England and Wales, who knows.

If Northern Ireland votes to leave the UK will U2 pull out of Belfast?

Cipango

Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:00 pm

cc47 wrote:
richcandy wrote:
Will it mean a vote on a united Ireland, will it mean the end of the peace process. We might end up with a United Kingdom of England and Wales, who knows.

We are really getting ahead of ourselves...

No one can say what will happen to U2 if NI becomes part of a United Ireland.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

OA260

Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:18 pm

cc47 wrote:
richcandy wrote:

Wont happen. The Republic cant afford to absorb NI or offer them their current NHS and tax benefits. Also support for a United Ireland has gone way down even in the Nationalist community not to mention the ROI.

Aviation will remain mostly unaffected as agreements will be made and signs from Germany tonight point to some kind of "Partner status". Everyone wants a smooth transition. The CTA and current border arrangements are going to remain and indeed the Irish govt has said they had a plan B .

shamrock350

Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:27 pm

OA260 wrote:
cc47 wrote:
richcandy wrote:

Wont happen. The Republic cant afford to absorb NI or offer them their current NHS and tax benefits. Also support for a United Ireland has gone way down even in the Nationalist community not to mention the ROI.

I wouldn't underestimate the want for a United Ireland by the people of the Republic. We've been told for a long time over and over again that it's impossible, both socially and economically so we're bound to say no when asked but emotionally I think the majority would still be very much in favour of uniting the the island.

Out of around 56,500 votes in a Journal.ie poll yesterday, 66% of people were in favour of a United Ireland with 25% against and 8% not sure. A small sample but not an uncommon result.

The only thing currently uniting the United Kingdom is the currency, never have I known people to be so divided and what happens in NI now depends on what happens over the next few years, how Brexit is handled by Westminster and Brussels, what kind of government they end up with, what Scotland does and how the Northern Ireland's vote to remain is considered.

Right now Britain feels directionless, lost and divided. Certainly not the country I grew up in.

This isn't going to be the catalyst for a United Ireland but it could trigger the start of a serious conversation on the matter.

What it means for aviation is anyone's guess, for Aer Lingus and Ryanair it could be quite serious as the UK is a huge market for both airlines, particularly Ryanair. If Brexit triggers similar votes from other nations it would be disastrous for European aviation. On the positive side of things, Ireland could become 'the place to be' within Europe and the likes of Ryanair and IAG could see the potential to invest here rather than the UK but Ireland would need to get its own house in order post-Brexit to take advantage of that opportunity.

dergay

Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Cipango wrote:
cc47 wrote:
richcandy wrote:

We are really getting ahead of ourselves...

No one can say what will happen to U2 if NI becomes part of a United Ireland.

Hopefully, they will continue to play their excellent music on all p[arts of the island....

8-) :mrgreen:
Flown on A300,A310,A318,A319,A320,A321,A330,B707,B720,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,L382,L1011,C5,DC-3,DC8,

cc47

Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:50 pm

Today is the last day of WX flights from Cork. Sad to see these flights go.

hispanola

Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:42 pm

Does anyone know if the boys in green fly CityJet back home? If not, who will they fly?

Whether or not you're in favour of a United Ireland, I have a feeling that Belfast as a city would get a little more attention in terms of aviation.
✈️

bx737

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Rumour has it that EI are to announce a new US destination within the next week or two. Maybe I AM Incapable of telling you the rumour I have heard. This will be good news for one of the contributors to this site

JAmie2k9

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:16 pm

bx737 wrote:
Rumour has it that EI are to announce a new US destination within the next week or two. Maybe I AM Incapable of telling you the rumour I have heard. This will be good news for one of the contributors to this site

They said a few months ago the routes would be announced in July, so lets hope they can keep to this time frame as one assumes they are planning a May 2017 start.

AmricanShamrok

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:19 pm

bx737 wrote:

Miami. Nice subtle hint there ;)

Cipango

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:07 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
bx737 wrote:

Miami. Nice subtle hint there ;)

Hehe, my thoughts exactly!
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

shamrock350

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:38 am

Guess that would confirm the additional A330s for next year assuming it's one new route and added frequencies on existing routes. Unless one A330 and another 757 is on the cards?

I wonder if Brexit will have much impact on the immediate growth plans for Aer Lingus at IAG, I personally don't see anyone going ahead with Brexit, there's nobody brave or stupid enough to trigger Article 50 but even if it doesn't happen we're still going to see an extended period of economic uncertainty which could have a knock on effect for Aer Lingus' transatlantic aspirations.

OA260

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:24 am

Ryanair and Aer Lingus have cancelled more than two dozen flights to and from Ireland and France because of a strike by air traffic controllers there.

Further cancellations are likely.

Ryanair flights between Dublin and Madrid, Carcassone, Biarritz, Rodez, Nice and Nantes are among the flights affected along with flights between Cork and Bordeaux.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0628/798607 ... isruption/

JAmie2k9

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:02 pm

Cityjet new Sukhoi Superjet 100 operated it's (first?) scheduled service today between Cork and La Rochelle. Not sure if it will operate all of them but spotters could get an outbound trip and a return to DUB with FR/EI if it's scheduled for all of the season ex Cork.

I have asked Cityjet what the plan is for the summer so waiting to hear back.

RRTrent

Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:17 pm

WOW Air announced flights to New York today. Although the initial cost is low, once you factor in a bag its not much cheaper than direct with EI or UA. I love the PR spin about it being flight from Dublin to New York, when really its a flight from KER to EWR that's been announced. Even so, more competition on the T/A market from DUB

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/t ... 42811.html

OA260

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Always good to have more options and keeps the big boys on their toes. Also great to have regular KEF flights. A stopover is a nice option too.

RRTrent

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:05 am

I was just doing a random price comparison between WOW and EI for flights to NY in December (EI is cheaper, for anyone who is wondering) and have noticed that a 757 is operating to EWR as EI101. Was this always planned or is it related to A330 maintenance that usually happens over the winter? I taught the only EI 757 to NY from DUB was the early JFK rotation.

JAmie2k9

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:20 am

RRTrent wrote:
I was just doing a random price comparison between WOW and EI for flights to NY in December (EI is cheaper, for anyone who is wondering) and have noticed that a 757 is operating to EWR as EI101. Was this always planned or is it related to A330 maintenance that usually happens over the winter? I taught the only EI 757 to NY from DUB was the early JFK rotation.

B752's pop up on JFK/ORD/BOS/iAD/YYZ/EWR over winter months for maintenance and in some cases demand.

shamrock350

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:33 pm

Aer Lingus gives nod to €80m CityJet plan to buy Stobart Air

Aer Lingus is understood to have given its blessing to a takeover of Stobart Air by CityJet, in what is expected to be as much as an €80m deal that will close by August and pave the way for a new European regional airline force, the Irish Independent has learned.

http://www.independent.ie/business/aer- ... 44252.html

Could we see Superjets in Aer Lingus colours soon?

cc47

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:49 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

Aer Lingus is understood to have given its blessing to a takeover of Stobart Air by CityJet, in what is expected to be as much as an €80m deal that will close by August and pave the way for a new European regional airline force, the Irish Independent has learned.

So does this mean the end of Aer Lingus Regional? Will flights from ORK/SNN to MAN/ BHX etc. return to A320. Just speculating but maybe these routes could be flown with Sukhoi aircraft from Cityjet.

shamrock350

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:33 pm

cc47 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

So does this mean the end of Aer Lingus Regional? Will flights from ORK/SNN to MAN/ BHX etc. return to A320. Just speculating but maybe these routes could be flown with Sukhoi aircraft from Cityjet.

I don't think it means the end of Aer Lingus Regional at all, if anything it could strengthen the franchise. This take over instantly gives CityJet a successful franchise operation, something they've been desperate to get in order to put those new SSJ's into regular work.

The ATR operation was starting to reach its limit in size and scope, most viable UK regions are now sufficiently covered, those that aren't simply haven't worked out. Expansion into Europe isn't possible with the ATRs but the SSJ's can provide it in the form of added frequency on current routes or entering new markets.

Whether or not Aer Lingus would be interested is another question but as they've "given the nod" to the take over, it shows they may see potential in having CityJet as a partner.

OA260

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:35 pm

cc47 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Stranger things have happend a SSJ in EI livery would be pretty nice :)

shamrock350

Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:18 pm

The first Bombardier CSeries for Swiss is due to land at DUB in the next few minutes as part of its delivery flight to ZRH. The aircraft, HB-JBA was officially delivered yesterday and has flown non-stop from YMX today.

EDIT: The CityJet SSJ is due in right before it as well, currently just ahead in the approach. Nice to see both on the ground at DUB!

OA260

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:34 am

Ryanair’s first ever head of public affairs leaves after just three months in role

Ryanair’s first ever head of public affairs – a former Uber executive who was drafted to the airline to help champion its case in Brussels – has left after just three months in the job.

Cristian Samoilovich was headhunted from the global taxi firm and his appointment earlier this year as head of public affairs was hailed as a coup by Ryanair, whose relations with Brussels have been intensely fraught over the past decade in particular.

But Ryanair’s chief marketing office, Kenny Jacobs, confirmed to Independent.ie this morning that Mr Samoilovich left the airline a couple of months ago.

Mr Samoilovich had previously been a senior manager of public policy at Uber, and had held roles with Boeing and Airbus.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 45986.html

cc47

Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:10 pm

Today I visited the Atlantic Air Venture museum In Shannon. I cannot recommend the museum enough, there are lots of old aircraft and you can go inside most of them. Everyone can take pictures, it is fairly cheap and the staff are very friendly. If you are in Shannon I thoroughly recommend you check it out.

Also, I saw the first Cityjet Superjet today in SNN.☺

ClassicLover

Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:34 pm

I wish CityJet would give us some indication of what routes the SuperJet was planned to be on over the next few months. I'd book a round trip just for fun to say I've been on it. I'm really excited to fly on it! I did search their web page (in a cursory) manner on flights from Cork to La Rochelle for example, but it's all Avro Avro Avro.

Meanwhile, the possibility of CityJet buying Stobart is also quite exciting. Partly because it will be nice to see "Aer Lingus Regional operated by CityJet" as I think Stobart is a terrible name for an airline... partly because I think CityJet needs to have a bigger franchise operation to suck up all the SuperJet aircraft on order... and partly because, as far as I am aware, Stobart is profitable, and that would make sense from a business perspective for CityJet.

I must look up the Atlantic Air Venture museum - I wasn't aware it existed. I still haven't been to the Foynes Flying Boat Museum which I really want to get to at some point in the near future so I can review it on the blog I now write for. If there's more than one place to visit, it gives me even more reason to go.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Another great flight with Thomas Cook Airlines the other day. ACE- BFS great fares and on their comfortable A321. Local NI crew who excelled in service they worked their hearts out the whole flight and were never behind the curtain.

Food nice and tasted good. Two free drink rounds for those that pre ordered. Two BOB services for those that did not. Interacted with the passengers with genuine smiles and laughs. Great to have moving map so just for that they get good marks ;)

Arrival into a rather miserable BFS ( weather wise ) and quite long lines to clear passport control . I guess that is the EZY effect as a few flights arrived at once and only 4 officials to check passports. Still overall a pleasant experience and will certainly take TCX again. Interesting they are moving to distance themselves from the package and more a stand alone airline. Would love to see them at DUB but sadly since TC exited the ROI market I doubt we will. They have a great product.

JAmie2k9

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:21 pm

Is the new website or just lack of news caused the dip in posts here?
-------
Finnair will commence their own ops into DUB from 26 March operating 4 of 9 weekly HEL services. The morning flights will be take over. Their A319's have popped up from time to time this summer.

OA260

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:43 am

A number of flights to and from Ireland have been cancelled due to another strike by French air traffic controllers.

It is the 13th strike in 14 weeks.

Passengers due to travel today have been urged to check the status of their flight online.

Ten flights into and out of Ireland are among the dozens of flights Ryanair has cancelled, while Aer Lingus has cancelled eight flights, and warned of delays to flights which use French airspace.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0705/800206 ... ol-strike/

JannEejit

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:31 am

Hi guys, first contribution to the Irish threads so go easy on me... ;)

Just wondering, I noticed Aer Lingus A332, EI-EWR approaching DUB from BOS on FR24 yesterday and was somewhat surprised as I thought she left the fleet years ago ? I flew on 'EWR' from LAX to DUB back in 2002 (outbound on then very new EI-DAA) and have always kind of kept an eye out for her since. I can recall seeing pics of her in 'return to lessor' all over white paint scheme a few years ago, I think she headed to a former Soviet bloc airline (Batavia ?) after that ?

Just wondering when & why she's ended up back in Aer Lingus service and is this a temporary move or not ? Also curious as to where her Irish saint name 'Lorcan O' Tuathail' name has gone, is it on another Aer Lingus aircraft now ?

Thanks for any insights...

RRTrent

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:13 am

JannEejit wrote:
Just wondering, I noticed Aer Lingus A332, EI-EWR approaching DUB from BOS on FR24 yesterday and was somewhat surprised as I thought she left the fleet years ago ?

Welcome to A.net and congratulation on your first post.

Yes, EI-EWR left the fleet in 09 and went to Batavia, when they went bust in 13 she went to Air Asia X. Aer Lingus took her back in March 2013. She's owned by AerCap and leased to EI.

http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-a330-330.htm

OA260

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:53 am

Should Dubin Airport be clearing the way for Terminal 3?
Consultants raise possibility of second airport but there is a cheaper option

At 5.37pm yesterday, the Government slipped out a report by Indecon consultants on airport charging that, if fully implemented, would change the current system of regulation beyond all recognition.

The rumour is that certain vested interests in the aviation industry would probably have preferred if this report had not been published at all. The Indecon document deserves full scrutiny.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.2710439

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:00 pm

Whatever happens with the report, the consumer will not be benefiting from reduced charges. Only winners will be the airlines bank balances.

OA260

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:49 pm

Jet2 adds 10,000 seats to Belfast winter schedule

AIRLINE Jet2.com has announced its biggest ever winter programme from Belfast International Airport with more than 50,000 seats available in 2016/17 - up 25 per cent year on year.

The schedule, which runs between October 30, 2016 and March 25, 2017, includes more seats to winter beach break destinations such as the Canary Islands and Alicante.

“This is by far our biggest winter programme to date for Northern Ireland holidaymakers,” said Steve Heapy, chief executive officer, Jet2.com and Jet2holidays.

http://www.irishnews.com/business/2016/ ... le-590912/

BrianDromey

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:47 pm

It does seem a bit quiet on here at the moment, I suspect that the new forum software has a lot to do with it.

In better news, DY still seem interested in lanching ORK-BOS. They have entered schedule information in OAG.

D85598 ORK1650 – 1905BOS 73H D
D85599 BOS0900 – 1620ORK 73H D

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... -schedule/

The eastbound flight is a daylight flight, one of the few that operate like this, the summer EI JFK-DUB being one and a few East Coast - London flights. I suppose with a lack of competition there is freedom to try alternate schedules. This seems to be a BOS based aircraft, turning in ORK. The earlier proposal was for BCN-ORK-BOS.

OA260

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:18 pm

How is the return time correct?

JAmie2k9

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:00 am

Norwegian also want a bigger slice of DUB-HEL market, they have extended their seasonal twice weekly service year round. Operating Mon/Fri for winter schedule.

All they have to do now is take ARN on and give SK some competition.

RRTrent

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:56 am

BrianDromey wrote:
It does seem a bit quiet on here at the moment, I suspect that the new forum software has a lot to do with it.

I can only speak for myself, but I used to browse the forums for hours on end. Now Ive stopped doing that and only visit this page once or twice a day now to get updates on the Irish thread. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

richcandy

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:17 am

I never posted much on this forum but I used to read it a couple of times a day. With the changes to the new software I find it more difficult to follow, the amounts of adverts are a bit distracting and there just don't seam to be anywhere close to the same number of posts.

Eirules

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:47 am

Yeah I'm the same as you Brian. I find it an effort to look now where it never was before. The ads are a pain & I keep being logged out no matter whether I use chrome or safari on my phone
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OMP777X

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:55 am

RRTrent wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but I used to browse the forums for hours on end. Now Ive stopped doing that and only visit this page once or twice a day now to get updates on the Irish thread. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This new site is a total loss in my humble opinion. Whoever sh*t the bed by making it this way should be axed.

Best,

OMP777X
"Happy Flighting!"

IE99

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:02 am

BrianDromey wrote:
In better news, DY still seem interested in lanching ORK-BOS. They have entered schedule information in OAG.

OA260 wrote:

Agree, it should be a 20:30 (approx.) arrival into ORK. 16:20 is a 2Hr 20 Min flight from BOS to ORK.

Eagleboy

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:33 am

shamrock350 wrote:
I don't think it means the end of Aer Lingus Regional at all, if anything it could strengthen the franchise. This take over instantly gives CityJet a successful franchise operation, something they've been desperate to get in order to put those new SSJ's into regular work.

Whether or not Aer Lingus would be interested is another question but as they've "given the nod" to the take over, it shows they may see potential in having CityJet as a partner.
I guess the nod was needed from EI as the ATR-72-600's are financed jointly by Aer Lingus under a 3rd party company. Hence CityJet are purchasing an airline which has a franchise agreement to operate someone else's aircraft under EIR livery.

richcandy wrote:
I never posted much on this forum but I used to read it a couple of times a day. With the changes to the new software I find it more difficult to follow, the amounts of adverts are a bit distracting and there just don't seam to be anywhere close to the same number of posts.

My thoughts exactly, used to browse through civil and/or military aviation for interesting topics as it was easy to do before. Lots of threads on front page.
Used to check forum 2-3 times a day. Now its once every 2-3 days. And definitely not on my phone.

Scrolling is slower on my laptop and I use a hi spec gaming rig.

EIBoston

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:24 pm

It is terrible. Being lazy I miss the option of going to the unread messages within a topic(or can I not find it!)

OA260

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:57 pm

IE99 wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

OA260 wrote:

Agree, it should be a 20:30 (approx.) arrival into ORK. 16:20 is a 2Hr 20 Min flight from BOS to ORK.

Thanks glad its not just me thought I was going mad :D

OA260

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:44 am

Dublin Airport to pay ‘premium’ for houses affected by noise

Shane Ross says authority willing to pay above market price if people feel need to move
Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) is willing to pay top dollar for the homes of residents who have to move house because of noise disturbance when the new airport runway is built, the Dáil has heard.

Minister for Transport Shane Ross suggested the authority would pay a premium price in the event of such a level of disturbance, from the new north runway.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics ... -1.2712809

----

stratocruiser

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:35 am

OA260 wrote:

A 30 minute turn-around time at ORK for a transatlantic flight??????

EIBoston

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:21 pm

I think those times are incorrect. Be very surprised to see a day time eastbound flight on this route.
More importantly we are getting ahead of ourselves here. There is still no sign of final approval for the route and given it is an election year here in USA, I have my doubts about it being done this year.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos