Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

incitatus
Topic Author

Singapore Scraps Brazil

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:43 pm

No really a surprise but Singapore announced it will stop serving Sao Paulo GRU on October 20.

Unless the Brazilian economy was booming, this flight was bound to struggle with SQ competing with 2-stops beyond SIN with the ME3 and Turkish offering 1-stops.

This service had been started March 2011.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

a320fan

Re: Singapore Scraps Brazil

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:32 am

Nothing surprising, was just a matter of time until this announcement. Shame though :(
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

jfk777

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:40 am

Asia to Brazil is too far and the economy in Latin America has not been this bad in decades.

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:40 am

Well, the good thing for them, is that if they ever return, their A359ULRs have the range to do it nonstop. So there's that.

Whether the market could ever recover sufficiently to justify it, especially without a partner, remains to be seen.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

chiraagnt

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:46 am

Couldn't have helped that LATAM have launched services on GRU-BCN and have scaled it up to 6x weekly as well. Shame that the service is gone but couldn't have been doing well with the Brazilian economy in shambles. Hope to see a SIN-GRU nonstop on the A359ULRs though! (Wishful thinking I know)

thekorean

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:50 am

If CA leaves will there be any carriers from Asia east of Dubai?

chiraagnt

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:02 am

thekorean wrote:

Nope, unless another airline from India or anywhere else chooses to launch service to GRU, CA will be the last airline from this area of the world operating to GRU.

planeguy

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:21 am

It seems that Venezuela isn't the only South American country that is losing airline service.

thekorean

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:33 am

chiraagnt wrote:
thekorean wrote:

Nope, unless another airline from India or anywhere else chooses to launch service to GRU, CA will be the last airline from this area of the world operating to GRU.

And I suspect they will be gone soon.

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:10 am

planeguy wrote:
It seems that Venezuela isn't the only South American country that is losing airline service.

For different reasons, but true. KE is gone. Now SQ. I wonder if SA will continue after JJ starts GRU-JNB.

The fact that JJ is doing well on this route (GRU-BCN) clearly managed to steal some pax from SQ, which is a shame. Service-wise SQ is much better than JJ 767.

SYDBCN

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:20 am

How will this affect flights to Barcelona? will they be maintained with a change of time/day or scrapped too

aa

Ytraveller

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:55 am

SIN-BCN will be maintained.

The last flight will be on Oct 20. Services between Singapore and Barcelona will continue.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/t ... ervices-to

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:00 am

geoshina wrote:
For different reasons

What different reasons?

Seems like the same reason to me: economy's crashing and burning.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

GRJGeorge

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:37 am

geoshina wrote:
I wonder if SA will continue after JJ starts GRU-JNB.

Well SAA operates 10 weekly flights, so don't think the 3 weekly from LATAM will make SA can the route, perhaps might push them to reduce again to daily eventually.

incitatus
Topic Author

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:27 pm

With so many airlines cutting or reducing Brazil routes, one standout is Turkish. They have never made a profit in Brazil, even in good times. Their route is expensive to operate with a tag to EZE. Keeping the route daily with a 77W must be costing them a fortune, and not a small one.

winGl3t

Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:12 pm

incitatus wrote:
With so many airlines cutting or reducing Brazil routes, one standout is Turkish. They have never made a profit in Brazil, even in good times. Their route is expensive to operate with a tag to EZE. Keeping the route daily with a 77W must be costing them a fortune, and not a small one.

As long as the route keeps generating revenue for the other 200+ destinations that connects to IST-GRU-EZE, TK will be happy to keep it.

6th freedom carriers don't care so much for economics of the route on a stand alone basis, but they do care for the revenue generated for the whole network, which will get better as KE and SQ leave the Brazilian market and Argentina economy gets better.

infinit

Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:36 pm

This takes away SQ's sole destination to South America, a region that is still by and large alien to Southeast Asia as a whole at least from a laymen perspective. I'm not sure how how much business there is between South America and Southeast Asia but not much I imagine

a380787

Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:38 pm

infinit wrote:
This takes away SQ's sole destination to South America, a region that is still by and large alien to Southeast Asia as a whole at least from a laymen perspective. I'm not sure how how much business there is between South America and Southeast Asia but not much I imagine

Which makes it more head-scratching when people proposed SQ launching SIN-GRU nonstop .... :shock:

Spiderguy252

Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:51 pm

chiraagnt wrote:
thekorean wrote:

What makes you think anybody from India will launch a route to Brazil? Air India has been limiting its expansion to Europe for the moment (VIE, DME, MXP, with MAD in the works), Jet has its hands full shifting from BRU to AMS and rotating its fleet whilst juggling its relationship with Etihad, and neither have the metal with adequate lift to fly out of BOM/DEL and go for a route which requires extreme range on a full payload.

In any case, South America is one of the few pockets in the world where India's cultural presence is fairly limited.
Vahroone

incitatus
Topic Author

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:14 pm

I have read this argument that what matters for 6th freedom airlines is network revenue many times. At the end of the day, counting network revenue or flight revenue does not change the amount of money that comes through the door. Brazil revenue sucks for pretty much every airline - that is evident from the string of route cuts announced.

Much network revenue is replaceable. If an airline cuts one route, it loses some revenue and traffic on connecting flights. But those seats that become empty can be re-sold in other markets. If the network load factor is high, cutting one route with a lot of connecting traffic will have negligible effect on the network load factor - replacement bottoms take the freed up seats.

thekorean

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:12 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
chiraagnt wrote:
thekorean wrote:

What makes you think anybody from India will launch a route to Brazil? Air India has been limiting its expansion to Europe for the moment (VIE, DME, MXP, with MAD in the works), Jet has its hands full shifting from BRU to AMS and rotating its fleet whilst juggling its relationship with Etihad, and neither have the metal with adequate lift to fly out of BOM/DEL and go for a route which requires extreme range on a full payload.

In any case, South America is one of the few pockets in the world where India's cultural presence is fairly limited.

He never said they will. He said unless someone from India starts it.

kokpedro

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:48 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
chiraagnt wrote:
thekorean wrote:

Indians make up more than 40% of Guyana's population. That's about 300,000 who descend from those who came between the 1830s to 1910s.

Not that it would support any kind of Georgetown-India route, but interesting nonetheless.

2travel2know2

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:00 am

No airline is currently flying CPT-GRU, if SQ sees an opportunity there, probably it should think about SIN-CPT-GRU.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

chiraagnt

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:11 am

thekorean wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:
chiraagnt wrote:

He never said they will. He said unless someone from India starts it.

Haha in all fairness, I did say 'unless someone starts it'. I just think the next airline to try a South American service would be one from a large economy like India. China already has a carrier represented even though CA may be losing money on the route(government prestige and what not). I wonder how they're doing on the PEK-YUL-HAV flights as well!

While Jet has its hands full and will be unlikely to launch flights with the EY alliance and scissor hub at BRU, AI may take a stab at It considering they're expanding their hub at DEL. Although they do not have the metal and the ME3 has adequate coverage of that sector... One can hope! Also, ASEAN and South America have really really poor coverage considering their economic ties are improving (albeit on a small base). With SQ gone from the market, the ME3 seem set to gobble up this market as well...

Spiderguy252

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:57 am

chiraagnt wrote:
While Jet has its hands full and will be unlikely to launch flights with the EY alliance and scissor hub at BRU, AI may take a stab at It considering they're expanding their hub at DEL. Although they do not have the metal and the ME3 has adequate coverage of that sector... One can hope!

If anything, I hope it doesn't happen. It'll be AI throwing money down into a sinkhole (again).

There are plenty of destinations that Indian carriers can serve even before they ever venture into South America. A few examples: Indonesia, Philippines, South Africa, more Chinese frequencies, etc.
Vahroone

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos