Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airboeingbus
Topic Author

LCC Airlines Placebo Effect.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:40 pm

I have noticed that when ever i travel on LCC such as FR, people always seem to complain about Legroom.etc When in fact they offer 30" of seat pitch, this is as high if not higher than some legacy carriers. Do you think some of the negative stigma associated with LCC is simply a placebo, and if you just stuck a sticker with a legacy carrier's logo on the side of the plane people wouldn't complain?

PatrickZ80

Re: LCC Airlines Placebo Effect.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:04 pm

That's certainly true. I've flown Ryanair quite a number of times and never had any complaints about the legroom. They got quite comfortable seats as well. Of course you shouldn't compare it to the legacies because the legacies charge up to 10 times more for a ticket.

Some other LCC's do have less legroom, Wizzair for example has very crappy seats. But hey, it's a low-cost airline so what would you expect? They get you to your destination and that's what you pay for. Transavia is another example of an airline with crappy seats, Ryanair offers more legroom than Transavia. Easyjet and Norwegian do offer sufficient legroom, they're not crappy.

I don't have much experience with legacy carriers but I can't remember any of them having extremely much legroom either. Just the same as Ryanair.

Channex757

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:53 pm

Much of it is just snobbery.

The lowcosts are what they are. More like a train service than a legacy airline. You pay a low fee for a seat on the plane and everything else is extra which means you are not paying for stuff you don't want, such as a fairly grim meal or unwanted baggage allowance. If anything the lowcosts are a more bespoke travel experience as your ticket is tailored to you rather than a one size fits all.

We have a lot to thank Laker and Southwest plus their descendents and other lowcost trailblazers for making travel even more affordable for the masses.

AAlaxfan

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:00 pm

The issue with people and LCC's vs Legacy is not 30" seats, it's that ALL seats are 30". There is no opportunity to upgrade to Y+ or F/J where the extra legroom is available.
My favorite airport is the one I'm flying to! :airplane:

eurowings

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:03 pm

There is always the option to upgrade the experience. Exit row seats offer extra legroom for example.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:18 pm

Indeed, first row and emergency exit rows offer more legroom. Therefor those seats are more expensive. However, most people flying a LCC pick the cheapest option which means being seated in a default seat.

infinit

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:26 pm

The placebo I find with LCCs sometimes is the illusion of being inexpensive.
I have many friends who'd only look up AirAsia, Tiger and Jetstar for their holidays around the region and not look up full service carriers as they perceive them to be expensive.
When I went to Bali from Singapore last year with some friends, I went on Singapore Airlines and ended up paying about the same as my friend who traveled on Jetstar.

seat38a

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:51 pm

infinit wrote:
I have many friends who'd only look up AirAsia, Tiger and Jetstar for their holidays around the region and not look up full service carriers as they perceive them to be expensive.
When I went to Bali from Singapore last year with some friends, I went on Singapore Airlines and ended up paying about the same as my friend who traveled on Jetstar.

Last week I checked a flight for LAX -> LAS roundtrip in the month of November.
Cheapest To Most Expensive:
United (Including cost of 1 luggage.)
Southwest
Spirit (Outrageously expensive. Before any add ons and luggage. Base fare was $300+)

quic330

Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:46 pm

seat38a wrote:
infinit wrote:

Last week I checked a flight for LAX -> LAS roundtrip in the month of November.
Cheapest To Most Expensive:
United (Including cost of 1 luggage.)
Southwest
Spirit (Outrageously expensive. Before any add ons and luggage. Base fare was $300+)

In Europe it is the same story. I have friends that book directly with U2 or VY without checking the price of legacy carriers.

Nowadays I rarely fly LCCs as legacy carriers tend to be cheaper of roughly the same price. Couple of months ago I flew ZRH-BCN-ZRH with LX as it was a lot cheaper than VY (and they give you a drink and a sandwich ;) )
2018: AMS - BOS - BRU - CDG - EWR - FRA - GRU - HEL - HKG - LAX - LCY - LIS - MAD - MCO - MIA - MUC - MVD - ORD - OVD - PTY - PVG - RDU - SAN - SCQ - SFO - VCE - VNO - YYZ - ZRH

reidar76

Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:43 pm

If you compare NEW aircraft from LCCs and legacy carriers there isn't much difference any longer, not even on long haul.

For example going long haul from London, ULCC Norwegians 787s have 31"/32" seat pitch while legacy carrier British Airways 787s has 31" in economy class. Both at 9-abreast. In Norwegians premium economy class seat pitch is 46", while British Airways world traveler plus product only has 38". Both at 7-abreast. You have to pay extra for reserving your favorite seat with both companies. In reality the only difference is that British Airways in addition has a business class product and Norwegian doesn't, and of course the tea served on British Airways tastes better, while Norwegian has free Wi-Fi. Hard choice, can't have it both ways... :D

Chemist

Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:26 am

I find the entire "LCC" versus "Full service" kind of silly anymore in the US, unless you are upgrading.
In coach, I find WN (Southwest) to have more legroom, better service, more orderly boarding (less "cattle calling"), and better seats than most of the "Full service" airlines. I can also cancel or change my flight without penalty and I don't pay for checked bags.

I check in on Southwest 24 hrs before the flight and as long as I'm under B30 or so, I'm going to get a window or aisle.

I flew WN about 60 times last year and had great service.
I flew Delta ONCE and they made me check my roller, even though I was in an early enough group to have bin space. That didn't happen in 60 flights on Southwest.

CalTex

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:55 am

airboeingbus wrote:
Do you think some of the negative stigma associated with LCC is simply a placebo, and if you just stuck a sticker with a legacy carrier's logo on the side of the plane people wouldn't complain?

It wouldn't surprise me - the placebo effect, as well as the increased stress of flying on a ULCC (bag restrictions, extra fees, wilder passengers) could easily flavor someone's perception of the seat pitch. Meanwhile, the legroom in an AA 738 feels almost identical to Ryanair...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos