Timaay419
Topic Author

340 acres North of LAX to be overhauled

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:52 pm

http://la.curbed.com/2016/6/16/11957828 ... l-overhaul

I welcome this as an Angeleno avgeek, but I guess this squashes any plans to separate the runways of the north complex?

LAX772LR

Re: 340 acres North of LAX to be overhauled

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:41 pm

One big giant "meh"... :|
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

altbg

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:26 pm

What they need to do there is add a spotting platform with a parking lot.

Getting to the Westchester Pkwy bridge is a long walk when you're fat and lazy. :mrgreen:

dmg626

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:03 pm

I hope there's noise waivers included so 5 years from now they don't start complaining about the airport that they didn't know was next door

AAlaxfan

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Looking at the plans, there seems to be some areas that will be dedicated to airport viewing along the "greenbelt" walkway. Hopefully it will be there in the finished product.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

jsnww81

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:38 am

I live adjacent to this property and am conflicted about this... the land is mostly former neighborhoods that were cleared in the 1970s to create noise buffer zones. The abandoned streets and streetlights are still there and it's kind of a neat piece of urban archaeology. Will be sad to see that go.

On the other hand, the development looks to be sensible and is almost all offices and small-scale retail. I don't believe there are any residential units planned for the area - it's VERY close to the runways, which was the rationale for demolishing the original neighborhoods. It'd be kind of a poke in the eye to those homeowners if new residential was built there.

Mostly, I'll be sorry to see more traffic on Westchester Parkway, my "express route" between home and LAX. As long as World Way is behaving itself (ha!) I can get from my front door to the terminal curb in under ten minutes. Hard to beat!

twaconnie

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:16 pm

I just realized 340 acres is half the size of LGA.

kgaiflyer

Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:19 pm

Does anyone know what will become of that plot of scrub brush and tumbleweed between Pershing Parkway and the PCH on the *west* side of LAX?

AAlaxfan

Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:34 pm

kgaiflyer wrote:
Does anyone know what will become of that plot of scrub brush and tumbleweed between Pershing Parkway and the PCH on the *west* side of LAX?

Absolutely nothing. IIRC, it is an environmentally protected area for some butterfly.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

jsnww81

Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:39 am

kgaiflyer wrote:

The old Palisades del Rey/Surfridge tract will likely never be redeveloped. It's prime real estate, but between the El Segundo blue butterfly taking up residence there and the bad blood left over from homeowners being forced to sell oceanfront property 40 years ago, there's not much chance anything will go in there.

There was a project four or five years ago that removed some of the old streets and utilities at the north end of the tract (along Napoleon Street and Vista del Mar) and grassed them over to help things return to their natural state. If we see any work at all in that area, it will probably be more of that. Right now the streets, sidewalks, and former retaining walls are all moldering away, and eventually I could see LAWA going in there to remove the rest of them.

jupiter2

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:29 am

Hopefully this redevelopment will lead to some new spotting locations, or at least easier access. Would be nice if the mentioned areas to the beach would be opened up in similar ways in the future, especially the higher areas.

kgaiflyer

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:01 pm

"Would be nice if the mentioned areas to the beach would be opened up in similar ways in the future, especially the higher areas."

The *best* elevated perches are at the foot (head?) of Manchester Ave. But that section of Playa del Rey is million-dollar real estate (Lucky me - I know a couple of screenwriters who live up there :) ).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos