Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyoregon
Topic Author

YYC International Service

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:00 pm

I'm always amazed at the level of international service YYC has (excluding US/Mexico flights). They have Air Canada and British Airways to Heathrow, Air Canada and Condor to Frankfurt, Air Canada to Rome, Air Canada to Tokyo, Air Transat and KLM to Amsterdam, Air Transat and WestJet to Gatwick, Air Transat to Manchester, Air Transat to Paris, Edelweiss to Zurich, and Hainan to Beijing.

I understand it's a hub for WestJet and for Air Canada and that a lot of those are seasonal destinations, and not knowing the total catchment for the YYC region, it seems like a lot of trans-oceanic options for a city of only 1.2 million.

What's the draw to Calgary? Especially from Europe.

SpaceshipDC10

Re: YYC International Service

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:05 pm

flyoregon wrote:

The Rockies, Jasper National Park as well as Banff National Park and the Rocky Mountainer train.

Ytraveller

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:17 pm

flyoregon wrote:
I'm always amazed at the level of international service YYC has (excluding US/Mexico flights). They have Air Canada and British Airways to Heathrow, Air Canada and Condor to Frankfurt, Air Canada to Rome, Air Canada to Tokyo, Air Transat and KLM to Amsterdam, Air Transat and WestJet to Gatwick, Air Transat to Manchester, Air Transat to Paris, Edelweiss to Zurich, and Hainan to Beijing.

I understand it's a hub for WestJet and for Air Canada and that a lot of those are seasonal destinations, and not knowing the total catchment for the YYC region, it seems like a lot of trans-oceanic options for a city of only 1.2 million.

I'd like to know as well. Always found it surprising that AC operates the 77L/789 on YYC-LHR and the 789 on YYC-FRA.

tonystan

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:21 pm

OIL!!!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

flyoregon
Topic Author

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:25 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

The Rockies, Jasper National Park as well as Banff National Park and the Rocky Mountainer train.

I don't disagree those are amazing places to visit, but that's a lot of seats for the parks, and there are a lot of places in North America with equally gorgeous scenic sights that don't have anywhere near that level of trans-oceanic flights. Not saying YYC doesn't deserve it because it's a great city, but it's a lot of capacity.

Emirates773ER

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:27 pm

Calgary is the Oil hub of Canada. All major oil companies have head offices in calgary, the past decades has been a major boom in the industry. One of the reasons why the Gulf Carriers are trying hard to get a flight into YYC as well.
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

SpaceshipDC10

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:03 pm

flyoregon wrote:
I don't disagree those are amazing places to visit, but that's a lot of seats for the parks, and there are a lot of places in North America with equally gorgeous scenic sights that don't have anywhere near that level of trans-oceanic flights. Not saying YYC doesn't deserve it because it's a great city, but it's a lot of capacity.

How many of thoses service are seasonal? Except to LGW, I guess all TS flights are seasonal, same for Condor or Edelweiss. Westjet to London will be year-round.

Jayce

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:27 pm

There is (was?) a lot of money in Calgary due to the oil bubble. Lots of people want to travel and have the means to do so I suppose.

When did Air Canada start Calgary to Rome? I know TS has a weekly YVR to Rome service, but that's seasonal and I'm quite sure it's non-stop.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

SFOA380

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:19 am

I think just like with many other countries, the Canadian propensity for foreign travel is much greater than it is in the USA. Sans NYC, LA, SF and a few others, Americans just don't travel overseas all that much. I would think the bulk of the travel is outbound not inbound. Heck we can't even get a nonstop to Italy from SF and it's a massive market! Kudos to Calgary!!!

flymco753

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:41 am

Personally I'd love to see someone operate a YYC to DTW flight.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

Viscount724

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:28 am

Jayce wrote:
There is (was?) a lot of money in Calgary due to the oil bubble. Lots of people want to travel and have the means to do so I suppose.

When did Air Canada start Calgary to Rome? I know TS has a weekly YVR to Rome service, but that's seasonal and I'm quite sure it's non-stop.

AC definitely doesn't operate YYC-FCO, and I can find no TS service in current schedules.

YYC has had nonstop service to Europe since the early 1960s when the population was around 250,000. CP included both YYC and YEG as stops on some of their YVR-AMS flights for many years, and AC did the same when they started YVR-LHR, and a little later FRA, sometime in the mid-1960s.

My very first transatlantic flight was on a CP Air DC-8-43 YYC-AMS in January 1970 soon after I joined CP. It may have stopped at YEG, can't remember. The return flight a few days later was AMS-YYC nonstop on a DC-8-63. In 1970 YYC's population was less than 400,000.

There used to be a lot of oil-related traffic then from YYC to points like Algeria and Libya etc. Heavy immigration from Europe to Canada in the 1950s and 1960s also resulted in a lot of VFR traffic going home to visit their families in later years.

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:34 am

Oil, Rocky Mts, oil, nature experiences, oil, various other forms of energy, oil, Spruce Meadows, oil, oil, and oil.

Aside from the obvious, Calgary is one of the powerhouses of the Equestrian (read that: "well-heeled people with crap-tons of discretionary spending") world. Spruce Meadows is one of the top such venues in the world, hosts the world's richest such events, and draws tooooooons of high rollers throughout the summer and fall seasons, to Calgary. They stay, by the thousands, and spend unbelievable amounts of money for it.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

keitherson

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:00 am

A lot of ex-YVR transatlantic traffic is also fed through YYC and YEG. Even Air Transat has domestic feeder flights for this.

YVR on the other hand, has a very high amount of international service for a city of its size, particularly to secondary cities in China from the huge amount of Chinese people in Vancouver.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos