Page 1 of 1

JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:23 pm
by Mumrik
Hi,
I was just thinking about the two major Japanese carriers and if there is any intercontinental destination of either JAL or ANA that sees three flights a day?
And has JAL and ANA any planes/interests to add more intercontinental flights to the other big international airports in Japan then Tokyo like Nagoya or Sapporo as JAL has done with the Osaka-LAX?

If there is another thread on the subject please direct me to it and close this one.

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:30 pm
by HNL
NRT-HNL on JL x 3
TYO-HNL on JL x 4 (adding in HND)

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:46 pm
by Mumrik
HNL wrote:
NRT-HNL on JL x 3
TYO-HNL on JL x 4 (adding in HND)


Thanks, what equipment do they operate on the routes?

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:38 pm
by aviationaware
JAL had others before the bust, such as NYC.

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:02 pm
by a380787
depends on how you count (1) JV metal and (2) neighboring airports in the same metro. e.g. ANA flying to both SFO and SJC - is that 1 or 2 ?

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:12 pm
by Mumrik
a380787 wrote:
depends on how you count (1) JV metal and (2) neighboring airports in the same metro. e.g. ANA flying to both SFO and SJC - is that 1 or 2 ?


Well, I was thinking operations into the same airport not neighboring airports, but if there are such as this would be interested of knowing about as well.

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:57 pm
by Carpethead
Outside of HNL, no intercontinental destination currently served or in previous times has ever seen more than two daily.
ANA also has three TYO-HNL: one from HND, two from NRT.

Currently, JAL's maximum is two dailies on NRT-JFK & TYO-CDG. Even in its heydays, JAL never flew more than two daily on routes such as NRT-LAX, NRT-LHR.

ANA has numerous two dailies such as NRT-JFK & ORD; TYO-LAX; HND-FRA; NRT-SFO/SJC.
It is certainly difficult to see them add another flight to these destinations as their Star Alliance partner does some flying also. Then again, who would have predicted ten years ago they would be this big internationally in such a short time. With NRT/HND split operation, I think there is still opportunity to grow to some of the core Star hubs such as JFK/EWR, ORD, & FRA.

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:04 pm
by BWIAirport
Mumrik wrote:
HNL wrote:
NRT-HNL on JL x 3
TYO-HNL on JL x 4 (adding in HND)


Thanks, what equipment do they operate on the routes?


JAL and ANA each use 763s and 772s on each route, ANA uses a 788 from HND

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:43 am
by mdavies06
I believe in the 1990s JAL was serving LHR, CDG and LAX +2 dailies from NRT, KIX and NGO combined. Though no more than 4 dailies each at the best of times.

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:27 am
by pcash
mdavies06 wrote:
I believe in the 1990s JAL was serving LHR, CDG and LAX +2 dailies from NRT, KIX and NGO combined. Though no more than 4 dailies each at the best of times.


And I know in the '80s that one of JAL's flights NRT-LHR was via SVO

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:56 am
by Mumrik
mdavies06 wrote:
I believe in the 1990s JAL was serving LHR, CDG and LAX +2 dailies from NRT, KIX and NGO combined. Though no more than 4 dailies each at the best of times.


Really, didn't know that. Was it 747 equipment on all of those or what types flew on the flights from KIX and NGO?

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:06 pm
by dmstorm22
Carpethead wrote:
ANA has numerous two dailies such as NRT-JFK & ORD; TYO-LAX; HND-FRA; NRT-SFO/SJC.
It is certainly difficult to see them add another flight to these destinations as their Star Alliance partner does some flying also. Then again, who would have predicted ten years ago they would be this big internationally in such a short time. With NRT/HND split operation, I think there is still opportunity to grow to some of the core Star hubs such as JFK/EWR, ORD, & FRA.


I believe NH is adding a HND-JFK flight in Q4, and I further believe this is a straight addition and will supplement the x2 daily NRT-JFK flights.

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:01 am
by ha763
Mumrik wrote:
Really, didn't know that. Was it 747 equipment on all of those or what types flew on the flights from KIX and NGO?


JAL used the MD-11 on many flights ex-KIX, like KIX-LAX.

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:45 am
by Mumrik
Thanks for this information everyone, much appreciated.

Will ANA or JAL expand and their intercontinental routes from KIX or NGO more in the future, or will they concentrate on Tokyo?

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:33 am
by Mumrik
Mumrik wrote:
Thanks for this information everyone, much appreciated.

Will ANA or JAL expand and their intercontinental routes from KIX or NGO more in the future, or will they concentrate on Tokyo?


Anyone who knows?

Re: JAL and ANA intercontinental destinations question

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:09 am
by Carpethead
It I had to guess. Nothing.
Much more effective to offer the already NGO/ITM to HND/NRT connections.
Anywhere else, let their Star or oneworld partners do the flying and slap a codeshare number on it.