Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mumrik
Topic Author

Qantas Intercontinental Routes Question

Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Good afternoon,
Was typing around on Flightstats the other day and when looking at airlines and equipment on LHR, remembered when QF flew the B747 there and had more than just two departures a day in difference from today. I know that Qantas got some economic problems now and because of that have reduced the number of long-haul flights they fly, but have they got any plans to start to expaned their long-houl intercontinental routes, and not just from the big hubs in SYD and MEL but maybe also from BNE and PER?

by the way how many flights into LHR did Qantas have at the most? What time period, route and equipment?

If there is another thread on the subject please direct me to it and close this one.
Aircraft enthusiast and model custom maker

sunrisevalley

Re: Qantas Intercontinental Routes Question

Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:49 pm

you need to look at this taking into account their arrangement with EK

qf789

Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Mumrik wrote:
Good afternoon,
Was typing around on Flightstats the other day and when looking at airlines and equipment on LHR, remembered when QF flew the B747 there and had more than just two departures a day in difference from today. I know that Qantas got some economic problems now and because of that have reduced the number of long-haul flights they fly, but have they got any plans to start to expaned their long-houl intercontinental routes, and not just from the big hubs in SYD and MEL but maybe also from BNE and PER?

by the way how many flights into LHR did Qantas have at the most? What time period, route and equipment?

If there is another thread on the subject please direct me to it and close this one.

QF did operate up to 4 daily flights into LHR all operated by the 744

QF1/2 SYD-BKK-LHR
QF9/10 MEL-SIN-LHR
QF29/30 MEL-HKG-LHR
QF31/32 SYD-SIN-LHR

Currently 2 of those slot pairs are leased to BA. QF has mentioned they may start a non stop PER-LHR in 2018 with the 789 though I have my doubts about that. We could see instead a PER-DXB-LHR and maybe a BNE-DXB-LHR as well

Once the 789's start arriving next year QF will look at new long haul routes. At the top of the list is MEL-DFW, plus others that may happen are SYD-ORD, BNE-DFW, SYD-JFK (this one if it happens would be a 778 route providing QF orders them)

If you add EK into it as well as they are in alliance with QF between the 2 currently offer 11 daily flights into LHR/LGW
Forum Moderator

pcash

Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:45 pm

I flew QF MEL-BOM-LHR back in the 1987, so that was pre-744 days. I don't remember the flight number, but I can still recall the long and gentle climb so I suspect the payload may have been limited.
319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 346, 350, 380, 717, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787, BE1, CRJ, D10, DH3, E90, EMB, F27, F100, HS7, L10, M11, M80, S20, SWM, VCV

Mumrik
Topic Author

Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:58 pm

Haven't Qantas ever operated Perth to London flights? I think there is a picture on the site of such a flight.

Edit, Found the photos I was thinking about. Were these flights diversions or flights origin in Perth?

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Qantas/B ... 438/943176
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Qantas/B ... 438/931012
Aircraft enthusiast and model custom maker

ZK-NBT

Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:33 pm

Mumrik wrote:
Haven't Qantas ever operated Perth to London flights? I think there is a picture on the site of such a flight.

Edit, Found the photos I was thinking about. Were these flights diversions or flights origin in Perth?

They were via SIN certainly not non stop, but 2004/06 was the last time they had a same plane service PER,-LHR. Not to sure what they had before that.

kriskim

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:52 am

MEL is hardly considered a main QF international hub compared to SYD! Sure QF might have 2 daily A380 services to both LAX and LHR but other than that theres only services to SIN and HKG, compare this to SYD its nothing, not even half the amount of destinations they serve up north.

I hope QF does expand in MEL, especially to Asia, most of the group's Asian expansion has mostly been from JQ. Alan Joyce has been quite vocal regarding MEL-DFW so hopefully that happens late next year when the 789's come online. Other routes I would like to see from MEL such as MEL-PVG/SFO/HND/SCL/JNB, once those 747's are retired QF might have to look at alternatives like MEL-JNB in order to boost range/payload due to restrictions on 2 engine aircraft.
A world built upon connectivity.

wj888

Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:14 am

Obviously it doesn't compensate for 4x daily 744s into LHR, but keep in mind that QF's A380s can carry an extra ~130 pax over a 744. So between the two that fly in daily (QF metal), they would substantially make up for at least one extra 744, assuming full capacity. Plus eight daily EK A380s to LHR codesharing with QF, pretty good deal for travellers.

BNEFlyer

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:25 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Mumrik wrote:

They were via SIN certainly not non stop, but 2004/06 was the last time they had a same plane service PER,-LHR. Not to sure what they had before that.

That was QF 15/16. QF operated PER-SIN-CDG (QF17/18) as well.

Flyingsottsman

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:32 am

kriskim wrote:
MEL is hardly considered a main QF international hub compared to SYD! Sure QF might have 2 daily A380 services to both LAX and LHR but other than that theres only services to SIN and HKG, compare this to SYD its nothing, not even half the amount of destinations they serve up north.

I hope QF does expand in MEL, especially to Asia, most of the group's Asian expansion has mostly been from JQ. Alan Joyce has been quite vocal regarding MEL-DFW so hopefully that happens late next year when the 789's come online. Other routes I would like to see from MEL such as MEL-PVG/SFO/HND/SCL/JNB, once those 747's are retired QF might have to look at alternatives like MEL-JNB in order to boost range/payload due to restrictions on 2 engine aircraft.

Its always been like that, and always will. SYD is the headquarters for Qantas and Sydney has always and will always be the first point of call for Qantas, as well as a lot of international airlines that serve Australia. I would love to see QF start MEL SFO, PVG was served from MEL and quietly dropped as was Tokyo Narita on the early 2000's with a 763 but that flight to was dropped. Apart from Hong Kong, Singapore London via DXB and LAX, most of QF's international flight out of MEL are done by JQ. Some times I have seen more Qantas international metal at LAX than MEL. I hope QF can expand MEL to looks like maybe a flight to Dallas is on the cards, but apart from that I think most of the international expansion will come from Sydney. In the 80s and 90s up to the early 2000s I think 2002, QF did have a PER-LHR via Singapore which got expanded when British Airways stopped flying to Perth.

Flyingsottsman

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:34 am

I don't think MEL-JNB would happen VA tried it with the 777s and they lost money and the service was very quickly dropped so I don't think QF will try it either.

sunrisevalley

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:56 pm

Flyingsottsman wrote:
I don't think MEL-JNB would happen VA tried it with the 777s and they lost money and the service was very quickly dropped so I don't think QF will try it either.

They were flying it under EDTO=180min rules which made the sector time something like 15hrs plus.

SFOA380

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:31 pm

Ran across this last night:

http://travelskills.com/2016/06/25/a-ch ... antas-ceo/

I couldn't believe it when I read that SF has surpassed LA as the #1 business destination for Austrailians traveling to the US. Amazing. Looking forward to what lies ahead!

Johnv707

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:08 pm

Don't forget Qantas also operated a Daily SYD-SIN-FRA route with 744s up till a few years ago (QF5) . From what I read, loads were always high, don't know why they dropped it - guess due to the Emirates deal.

qf789

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:17 pm

Johnv707 wrote:
Don't forget Qantas also operated a Daily SYD-SIN-FRA route with 744s up till a few years ago (QF5) . From what I read, loads were always high, don't know why they dropped it - guess due to the Emirates deal.

The FRA flight was dropped as it wasn't making any money from what I recall
Forum Moderator

DobboDobbo

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:19 pm

I can't verify the information but apparently MAN is Qantas's 3rd busiest and 6th highest yielding route to Europe via the Emirates joint venture.

Probably means that there is no incentive for Qantas to "return" on their own metal!

XAM2175

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:20 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
Sydney has always and will always be the first point of call for Qantas

Strictly speaking, the first passenger point of call for Qantas was Cloncurry ;)

Flyingsottsman

Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:39 am

:lol: I realise that my friend but we were not around then.

Flyingsottsman

Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:44 am

DobboDobbo wrote:
I can't verify the information but apparently MAN is Qantas's 3rd busiest and 6th highest yielding route to Europe via the Emirates joint venture.

Probably means that there is no incentive for Qantas to "return" on their own metal!

There was a few destinations were QF use to fly to, but yes as long as you have a global airline like EK were you partner up with you don't need to fly your own metal to all parts of the world.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos