Coronado990

Re: What's happening lately at SAN?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Yahnih wrote:
Coronado990 wrote:
757SanCam wrote:
Sunday morning, UA CEO Oscar Munoz was on my flight from IAH to SAN. I thanked him for getting UA on the right track and the continued improved service after he was appointed CEO. I don't know the reason for his visit, but hopefully, more service here. I see lots of threads about other carriers here but very little about UA. As a MP member, I'd like to see some growth with UA here. I fly weekly in the fall and occasionally other times of the year and the morning bank to hubs seem to be running at capacity or near capacity. Maybe some point to point too if there is data to support and resources to support this.

I can't for the life of me think of anywhere UA could add out of SAN. Maybe a return to HNL? My wish would be the reinstatement of service into CLD and hopefully nonstop SFO on the E175.

Why SFO e175? I enjoy taking the nonstop 737.

CLD-Carlsbad cannot accommodate the 737. The runway is only 4900 feet.
We're up.

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:32 pm

757SanCam wrote:
Sunday morning, UA CEO Oscar Munoz was on my flight from IAH to SAN. I thanked him for getting UA on the right track and the continued improved service after he was appointed CEO. I don't know the reason for his visit, but hopefully, more service here. I see lots of threads about other carriers here but very little about UA. As a MP member, I'd like to see some growth with UA here. I fly weekly in the fall and occasionally other times of the year and the morning bank to hubs seem to be running at capacity or near capacity. Maybe some point to point too if there is data to support and resources to support this.

From what I understand, UA does a very good business here and SAN is one of their largest non-hub stations (by seats offered as well as profits I believe.) But pretty much all we have ever been is a large, successful spoke for the carrier with absolutely nothing offered in p-2-p flying -- except of course for the occasional failure of another SAN-HNL attempt... If only they (or DL for that matter) would make a serious attempt at the route, they might be surprised! Like I think WN is about to do...

Next year will (finally) see a great addition to SAN's Star Alliance portfolio in the arrival of Lufthansa! I can't think of any service changes for UA that their arrival would indicate -- even Hawaii is already well connected to FRA via LA and SFO. Really about the only thing I could think might happen at Lindbergh on UA would be some larger aircraft on the hub routes? Or else added frequency? PS service to the east coast? Maybe Munoz is bringing his executive tape measure to see how big an airplane UA could regularly fly to SAN? Or if he can wangle another gate or 2 out of the SDIA real estate department (since things will really be changing next year in T2W due to the new FIS facilities?

He's probably out here on vacation.

I'd love to think of UA adding some p-2-p flying here, be it domestic or, gulp, international. CO used to fly SAN-MEX once upon a time. Shuttle by UA used to fly to OAK and SMF from here. Not for connections, just O&D and we know there's plenty of that available. I know, chances of any of this are about the same as the Padres winning a World Series...

But let's remember that DL is apparently thinking about more int'l p-2-p flying from non-hubs (e.g., IND-CDG) so who knows what UA might be considering?

bb

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:55 pm

I'm posting some of the just-released August pax numbers for SAN just in case anyone besides me might find them interesting and a bit exciting.

Total pax in August 2017: 2,115,213, up 11.0% y-o-y!
Total pax YTD: 14,667.182, up 6.0% y-o-y!
Int'l pax in August: 93,710, up 11.1% y-o-y; total int'l pax YTD up 11.5% y-o-y!
Pax arriving thru our FIS facilities in August: 34,120, up 26.2% y-o-y!
WN, the largest cx at SAN, has carried a total of 5,463,022 pax YTD in 2017, up 5.5% y-o-y, which is 37.2% of SDIA's total pax.

Notes:
Third straight month of over 2m pax!
FIS now accounting for 1.6% of SAN's totals. Looks like the new FIS facilities can't open soon enough!
Seems like summer 2017, with Condor and Edelweiss, has been pretty successful!
WN's SAN expansion lately seems to be well-justified and should continue into the future. Looks like they plan on staying #1 around here!
IMO, we should be well on our way to 22M pax in 2019, with next year probably in the high 21M! Wow!

bb

SANFan
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Frontier made it official yesterday, 2 more new routes from SAN: OKC and TUL. Flights begin next April, 4x wkly to OKC, the other 3 days -- 247 -- to TUL. The a/c will RON at SAN.

To the best of my knowledge, SAN will now have F9 nonstops to: AUS, CLE, COS, CVG, DEN, MCO, OKC, SAT and TUL. When factoring in seasonality, mostly sub-daily frequencies, and F9's sudden and unannounced 'changes-of-mind', it's kind of a crap shoot to try to keep track of when a particular route is served... Or for how long?

I wonder if our resident Wiki expert -- and you know who you are! -- might have a chance to update the SAN-page with these F9 adds? Muchly appreciated.

Lots of rumors flying today (and the past few as well) that there could be an announcement today from WN (in Hawaii right now at a big thing) regarding... Hawaii! Part of the speculation is that SAN will undoubtedly play a part (big?) in the carriers expected routings for the flights!

There are ongoing debates about whether WN will be able to -- or want to -- fly nonstop to Vegas, PHX, and even DEN from Hawaii; if not, then all their service to the Islands will pretty much need to be funneled thru their CA gateways: SAN, LAX, SJC, OAK and even SMF.

As WN continues to spill over into T1W (still only gate 11 at this point in time, but already more flights than last week) I can only hope there's room for a few more flights to the Islands! (Included would be lots of connecting pax so how about that transport of some kind between the various terminals where WN now lives?)

bb

SRT75

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:04 pm

SANFan wrote:
FIS now accounting for 1.6% of SAN's totals. Looks like the new FIS facilities can't open soon enough! Wow!
bb

What is the customs experience like at SAN? Miserable? Bearable?

SANFan wrote:
UA does a very good business here and SAN is one of their largest non-hub stations (by seats offered as well as profits I believe.) But pretty much all we have ever been is a large, successful spoke for the carrier with absolutely nothing offered in p-2-p flying -- except of course for the occasional failure of another SAN-HNL attempt..

I think many locals would love more P-2-P from UA, but with LAX, DEN, and SFO well-served, I just don't see UA diverting resources to SAN. Some logical options would be SEA (to compete with AS), LAS, SMF (try to get state government workers, politicians, and lobbyists), and maybe PHX.

PDX88

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:23 pm

SRT75 wrote:
I think many locals would love more P-2-P from UA, but with LAX, DEN, and SFO well-served, I just don't see UA diverting resources to SAN. Some logical options would be SEA (to compete with AS), LAS, SMF (try to get state government workers, politicians, and lobbyists), and maybe PHX.

The main point to P2P is to connect two spoke cities with high demand but little or no existing service and provide the market with a nonstop flight. Every route you mentioned is already served heavily, especially SAN-SEA which already sees more than a dozen daily flights between DL/AS/WN with each having a large focus city/hub on one end. UA entering the market would be a money shredder.

Yahnih

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:51 pm

SRT75 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
FIS now accounting for 1.6% of SAN's totals. Looks like the new FIS facilities can't open soon enough! Wow!
bb

SANFan wrote:
UA does a very good business here and SAN is one of their largest non-hub stations (by seats offered as well as profits I believe.) But pretty much all we have ever been is a large, successful spoke for the carrier with absolutely nothing offered in p-2-p flying -- except of course for the occasional failure of another SAN-HNL attempt..

Customs experience is probably the best I’ve seen at any other airport. Despite me having global entry and I breeze through most immigration difficulties...when my family or friends go through it they say it’s simple. I could see the overcapacity part where the current facilities can’t handle the amount of passengers. I’ve only been able to review the Japan, Mexico, & Germany flights. I’m not sure how the 747 Ba flights have been though.

SANFan
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:15 pm

SRT75 wrote:

Never had the pleasure myself, but from what I've read, probably not one of the best on the west coast. A single, old, baggage claim system that apparently breaks down just often enough to keep the airport folks pulling their hair out; no restrooms anywhere between the exit door on the arriving airplane and the exit door to the FIS facilities; small square footage that can get real close when a full widebody has just unloaded -- let alone, these days, two; outdated technology; and I think probably the worst aspect from the airport ops viewpoint is that the 3 FIS-accessible gates are not swing so an arrival and a departure cannot normally be handled simultaneously! The FIS facilities were to be enlarged and upgraded as part of the T1 rebuild but that is still years in the future. The new FIS (opening in ~9-10 months) will correct all those wrongs and more!

PDX88 wrote:
The main point to P2P is to connect two spoke cities with high demand but little or no existing service and provide the market with a nonstop flight. Every route you mentioned is already served heavily, especially SAN-SEA which already sees more than a dozen daily flights between DL/AS/WN with each having a large focus city/hub on one end. UA entering the market would be a money shredder.

As far as I'm concerned the one and only city that UA might be able to serve as a point-to-point from SAN, with a condition, is Norfolk. That is IF United happens to be the carrier with the GSA contract for the route, or has some healthy military contract in place. I know someone mentioned who the carrier with the government contract is this year but I just can't remember which one it is. Whomever that airline is, they should be operating a daily nonstop r/t in the market. The pax traffic is there, and I'm willing to bet there would be a good amount of cargo/freight carried between SAN and ORF.

Other than that, as I, and others, have said, p-2-p by UA from SAN seems extremely unlikely.

bb

PDX88

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:37 pm

SANFan wrote:
the one and only city that UA might be able to serve as a point-to-point from SAN, with a condition, is Norfolk.

Contract or not, that seems like such an oddball route. I can only picture it as a nonrev haven for getting between the coasts. It'll be an interesting add for whoever gets the contract if what you're saying is true.

plinth857

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:45 pm

SANFan wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, SAN will now have F9 nonstops to: AUS, CLE, COS, CVG, DEN, MCO, OKC, SAT and TUL. When factoring in seasonality, mostly sub-daily frequencies, and F9's sudden and unannounced 'changes-of-mind', it's kind of a crap shoot to try to keep track of when a particular route is served... Or for how long?
bb

I believe that F9 will not be bringing back the nonstop service between SAN and CLE. That's too bad, because I wanted to make use of it.

plinth857

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:53 pm

SANFan wrote:
As far as I'm concerned the one and only city that UA might be able to serve as a point-to-point from SAN, with a condition, is Norfolk. That is IF United happens to be the carrier with the GSA contract for the route, or has some healthy military contract in place. I know someone mentioned who the carrier with the government contract is this year but I just can't remember which one it is. Whomever that airline is, they should be operating a daily nonstop r/t in the market. The pax traffic is there, and I'm willing to bet there would be a good amount of cargo/freight carried between SAN and ORF.

Other than that, as I, and others, have said, p-2-p by UA from SAN seems extremely unlikely.

bb

UA doesn't do point to point very well. The contract between SAN/ORF is currently occupied by Delta at $248/$364 each way. Due to the large naval presence in both cities, I'm not surprised the contract exists; it is one of the higher PAX count contracts (33,525 yearly passengers, 9th highest out of over 9,000 contracts for fiscal year 2016). However, I doubt UA or any carrier for that matter would make this a point-2-point unless there is a high financial justification. Stranger things have happened, but GSA contracts rarely drive route network decisions.

SANFan
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:49 pm

plinth857 wrote:
UA doesn't do point to point very well. The contract between SAN/ORF is currently occupied by Delta at $248/$364 each way. Due to the large naval presence in both cities, I'm not surprised the contract exists; it is one of the higher PAX count contracts (33,525 yearly passengers, 9th highest out of over 9,000 contracts for fiscal year 2016). However, I doubt UA or any carrier for that matter would make this a point-2-point unless there is a high financial justification. Stranger things have happened, but GSA contracts rarely drive route network decisions.

Ahhh, thank you Plinth'. I know the contract has belonged to UA at times, but prolly DL holds it most of the time. And thanx to you too, PDX88, for your input into the discussion.

The actual pax traffic in the market (according to DOT's Tables 1A & 6) averaged 138 PDEW in 2016 (with a low quarterly of 124 to a high of 149) so it's a good solid, consistent-throughout-the-year market. Considering probable leakage thru WAS, about 100 miles north of ORF, the market should, butts-in-seats-wise, be able to support a year-round nonstop.

However, due to the low yields (as most of the traffic surely is Navy-related) the route has never been served with a nonstop. I do know that SAN is the largest un-served market out of ORF and I would also assume ORF must be very high on SAN's list as well; I realize that does not automatically mean there should be a nonstop. I do know that ORF is high on SAN's 'wishlist' for nonstop domestic service. Again, I repeat that I would think freight might be an important plus for a nonstop on the route.

In any case, I just mentioned it in regards to the UA p-2-p discussion (a real longshot I understand.) Personally, I would more likely expect to see WN, AS or even DL start the route, with those cx not being quite as big a longshot. These days, routes seem to be getting grabbed up by any number of players, so we'll see...

plinth857 wrote:
I believe that F9 will not be bringing back the nonstop service between SAN and CLE. That's too bad, because I wanted to make use of it.

I was just trying to piece together an F9 turn-schedule for SAN for April 1, 2018; I've given up. The data has to be teased out of F9.com with a pair of tweezers and I'm getting too old for that stuff! CLE was a challenge, altho I thought perhaps it would carry a later start date, but so far, I've had no luck finding anything.

bb

JL65heavy

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:43 am

Does anyone know when the Edelweiss service will end this year? Wikipedia states Edelweiss will "resume" May 8, 2018. Possibly seasonal service ended?

SANFan
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:00 pm

JL65heavy wrote:
Does anyone know when the Edelweiss service will end this year? Wikipedia states Edelweiss will "resume" May 8, 2018. Possibly seasonal service ended?

AFAIK, WK has ended for the season -- this last Monday (9/18) was their last flight of 2017.

I agree with your info that on 5/8/18, their service should resume here, and, as of now, next year they should fly to SAN thru 10/27.

bb

amadorE175

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Scooter wrote:

Interesting, thanks! I actually had no idea it was possible to book SAN-ZRH (Edelweiss) on swiss.com. I see that prices are much more reasonable as well. Looks like I may get my chance to do this next spring after all!

WK just got back to me about their website:

"It is planned that the functionality to book flights from one of our destinations to Zurich will be implemented, however at this point in time we do not have any further information as to when this will be. In this regard we would advise that you sign up for our newsletter where this will be posted as soon as it is implemented."

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see if they add that functionality before the start of next year's seasonal market.

SANFan
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:32 pm

amadorE175 wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Interesting, thanks! I actually had no idea it was possible to book SAN-ZRH (Edelweiss) on swiss.com. I see that prices are much more reasonable as well. Looks like I may get my chance to do this next spring after all!

"It is planned that the functionality to book flights from one of our destinations to Zurich will be implemented, however at this point in time we do not have any further information as to when this will be. In this regard we would advise that you sign up for our newsletter where this will be posted as soon as it is implemented."

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see if they add that functionality before the start of next year's seasonal market.

I'm curious and have no idea but does anyone know if this problem is unique to WK or is this the way most of the LCC/ULCC are set up? Thomas Cook/Condor, Norwegian, WOW, etc. -- do these other cx websites allow for booking travel beginning in the US or are they also set up for 'one way' travel only from Europe?

bb

gollumSD

Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:03 am

You can book both Condor and Norwegian flights departing from the US.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

SANFan
Topic Author

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:20 am

gollumSD wrote:
You can book both Condor and Norwegian flights departing from the US.

Thanx Gollum'. Then this issue of WK's 'one way' travel is pretty much uniquely theirs.

I've seen it said that WK has seen light loads at DEN, and they were not real happy with their June numbers at SAN (although July and I'm sure August should have been much better.) You might expect them to realize that if they made it easier to book travel to Zurich, originating in the US, the LFs would go up. And they are a partner of LH and there should be some general knowledge floating around their HQ about the benefits of 2-way travel!

Oh well, by next year, SAN should be much better known as a great summer destination for the folks in Switzerland and surrounding countries so the flights should be fuller in any case.

bb

hawaiian717

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:36 am

Anyone who wants to look up US government/military contract carriers should bookmark this page: https://cpsearch.fas.gsa.gov/cpsearch/search.do?

gollumSD

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:30 am

So there is this cool thread discussing Cathay Pacific's new routes all having a beer theme. I proposed the question that since we are the Napa Valley of craft beer; coupled with our biotech and tourist industry, plus not having a direct flight to China, that perhaps SAN is one of the candidates. What do you guys think?
"Not all those who wander are lost"

southsidesilver

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:09 pm

Just noticed this today for SAN.

San Diego Intl is experiencing delays
departure delays of 15 minutes to 29 minutes (and decreasing) due to VIP movement

Anyone have a clue on this VIP ?
I make videos about my airplane travels.

SANMAN66

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 pm

gollumSD wrote:
So there is this cool thread discussing Cathay Pacific's new routes all having a beer theme. I proposed the question that since we are the Napa Valley of craft beer; coupled with our biotech and tourist industry, plus not having a direct flight to China, that perhaps SAN is one of the candidates. What do you guys think?

I think they already have their "beer-theme" destinations. I saw the thread too, unfortunately SAN is not one of them :cry:
Unless SAN was added recently. I know DUB was one of the destinations Cathay chose. I was looking at Wikipedia, the
date for the Edelweiss flights to resume has been moved up. the resumption date is now Mar 30, 2018, about a week
after Lufthansa starts service. I wonder if Edelweiss moved up their resumption date to coincide with the Lufthansa flights
for some reason?
Last edited by SANMAN66 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANMAN66

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:04 pm

southsidesilver wrote:
Just noticed this today for SAN.

San Diego Intl is experiencing delays
departure delays of 15 minutes to 29 minutes (and decreasing) due to VIP movement

Anyone have a clue on this VIP ?

Maybe it was one of those Saudi royal flights? We used to get those often!
PSA Gives you a lift!

axiom

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:53 pm

amadorE175 wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Is WK not bookable through Swiss? I've done so in the past. Same company, after all.

amadorE175

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:21 am

SANMAN66 wrote:

I think they already have their "beer-theme" destinations. I saw the thread too, unfortunately SAN is not one of them :cry:
Unless SAN was added recently. I know DUB was one of the destinations Cathay chose. I was looking at Wikipedia, the
date for the Edelweiss flights to resume has been moved up. the resumption date is now Mar 30, 2018, about a week
after Lufthansa starts service. I wonder if Edelweiss moved up their resumption date to coincide with the Lufthansa flights
for some reason?

Rather than align with LF, I think the moving up to March 30 has more to do with the fewer than expected number of flights they were able to complete this past season (30 instead of 40 due to mechanical issues). They are planning on more flights for 2018 to keep them in compliance with the terms of the seasonal air service incentive program, which requires them to fly a certain number of flights over the three-year period of the incentive program.

axiom wrote:

Is WK not bookable through Swiss? I've done so in the past. Same company, after all.

As discussed above, yes, WK flights are bookable through Swiss. The modal leisure traveler probably doesn't know that they're the same company. The WK website will take you to Swiss' if you know where to click but the WK website is curiously (and I think, uniquely) functionally limited in this respect.

Yahnih

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:54 am

How feasible are Australia flights? We have quite a larger influx of Australian holiday workers and tourists all the time. I think a 787 might be the right fit for SAN. Also in a previous statement SAN was looking to expand flights into oceanica etc.. what are your thoughts?

amadorE175

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Yahnih wrote:
How feasible are Australia flights? We have quite a larger influx of Australian holiday workers and tourists all the time. I think a 787 might be the right fit for SAN. Also in a previous statement SAN was looking to expand flights into oceanica etc.. what are your thoughts?

As ever, would love to see additional international flights but given the runway+elevation, I'd think that non-stops are not possible. I don't know what prospects there are for a flight stopping somewhere in the Pacific (HNL?) on its way to/from SYD.

tmiw

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 pm

amadorE175 wrote:
Yahnih wrote:

As ever, would love to see additional international flights but given the runway+elevation, I'd think that non-stops are not possible. I don't know what prospects there are for a flight stopping somewhere in the Pacific (HNL?) on its way to/from SYD.

According to gcmap.com:

SAN-NRT = 5558 mi
SAN-AKL = 6501 mi
SAN-SYD = 7510 mi
SAN-BNE = 7193 mi

Based on that, I would think that it'd at least be possible for NZ to fly a 787 here with headroom to spare. They may not want to do that, however, if it'll cut into their LAX operation.

Yahnih

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 pm

I’m at the airport right now and just checking the flight arrivals status. There’s apparenlty a flight coming in from Bangkok (DMK) at 4pm on a g650 .. I didn’t know they had that range?

ctrabs0114

Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:42 am

PDX88 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
the one and only city that UA might be able to serve as a point-to-point from SAN, with a condition, is Norfolk.

Contract or not, that seems like such an oddball route. I can only picture it as a nonrev haven for getting between the coasts. It'll be an interesting add for whoever gets the contract if what you're saying is true.

Not really, considering Norfolk is home to the largest naval base in the world and San Diego is the primary base for the Pacific Fleet and the fourth-largest naval base in the world (and largest on the US West Coast).
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

SANMAN66

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Does anybody know when the BA 744 shows up? If I recall, it's supposed to be this month that
the Queen of the skies returns.
PSA Gives you a lift!

JL65heavy

Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:41 am

744 service starts on Saturday October 28
anyone have info when the 747service will end?

afszcz

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Kalitta has been flying a 722 to SAN this week. Does anyone know more about this?
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/KFS725

SANMAN66

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:26 pm

afszcz wrote:
Kalitta has been flying a 722 to SAN this week. Does anyone know more about this?
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/KFS725

I didn't know Kalitta still had 727s in their fleet?
PSA Gives you a lift!

71Zulu

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:34 pm

That might be Air Horse One, it fuel stops in MSY every now and then on way from west coast to FLL.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

bw50505

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:06 pm

71Zulu wrote:
That might be Air Horse One, it fuel stops in MSY every now and then on way from west coast to FLL.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

SDIA made a post about it on Facebook, it is indeed Air Horse One.

Looking forward to seeing the return of the BA 744 to our airport! Who wouldve thought in this day in age we'd be getting quads for all of our European flights...

SANMAN66

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:04 am

bw50505 wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the return of the BA 744 to our airport! Who wouldve thought in this day in age we'd be getting quads for all of our European flights...

I'm just dreaming here, what if we had the BA 744, along with a Lufthansa 744? It would be a magnificent sight!
PSA Gives you a lift!

Yahnih

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:17 am

SANMAN66 wrote:
bw50505 wrote:

I'm just dreaming here, what if we had the BA 744, along with a Lufthansa 744? It would be a magnificent sight!

That'd be awesome. I still have a feeling it'll become an a350 though.. which I'd love to see

SANMAN66

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Yahnih wrote:
SANMAN66 wrote:
bw50505 wrote:

That'd be awesome. I still have a feeling it'll become an a350 though.. which I'd love to see

An A350 would be great to see also!
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANMAN66

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:26 pm

In case anyone's interested, BA's Queen of the Skies is on her way!
(No more boring 777s for several months!)
PSA Gives you a lift!

redrooster3

Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:50 pm

Heads up everybody! We have a Cargolux 747-400 inbound fron London Stansted!!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/LXW ... /EGSS/KSAN
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!

neutronstar73

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:34 am

Saw a 747 land at SAN today around noon local. No markings and I couldn't get a pic due to the fact I was driving at the time.

bw50505

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:50 am

neutronstar73 wrote:
Saw a 747 land at SAN today around noon local. No markings and I couldn't get a pic due to the fact I was driving at the time.

It was a UAE registered 747-400F that is used for transporting horses (don’t recall the exact reg). Looks like they’re having a big horse racing event at Del Mar, given the Equiline 722 and the UAE and Cargolux 747s.

Btw, this means that SAN will see 3x 744s in one day!

neutronstar73

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:59 am

bw50505 wrote:
neutronstar73 wrote:

It was a UAE registered 747-400F that is used for transporting horses (don’t recall the exact reg). Looks like they’re having a big horse racing event at Del Mar, given the Equiline 722 and the UAE and Cargolux 747s.

Yeah, that makes sense, since the Breeder's Cup is going on at Del Mar. We have a few requests for support for that thing.

bw50505

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:05 am

neutronstar73 wrote:
bw50505 wrote:
neutronstar73 wrote:

Yeah, that makes sense, since the Breeder's Cup is going on at Del Mar. We have a few requests for support for that thing.

Ah, the Breeder’s Cup! That’s great for the city and Del Mar (as well as us spotters given the traffic that comes along with it)!

SANMAN66

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:09 am

Somebody get some pictures! It must have been an awesome sight to see that many 744s at once!
PSA Gives you a lift!

JL65heavy

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:54 am

It appears I have answered my own question from earlier... BA 744 service will continue till March 29, 2018 then resume back to 777 service. Enjoy it all for the time being!

bw50505

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:14 am

JL65heavy wrote:
It appears I have answered my own question from earlier... BA 744 service will continue till March 29, 2018 then resume back to 777 service. Enjoy it all for the time being!

Will it be a 772 or 77W after that date?

Yahnih

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:45 am

bw50505 wrote:
JL65heavy wrote:

Will it be a 772 or 77W after that date?

it’ll be 77W I believe. Bc it was just 77W previously before transitioning to 747.

Yahnih

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:46 am

JL65heavy wrote:

I wish it’d stay longer so we can have a quad jet parade with Edelweiss Lufthansa

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos