Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

What airlines is MCO talking to?

Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:55 pm

If MIA is talking to ANY airline....we'll hear about it. :D
So I was wondering what airlines does MCO have as their top priority?
After all, they are building a new TATL facility

Saudia Arabian ?
K L M ?
All Nippon ?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

enilria

Re: What airlines is MCO talking to?

Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:27 pm

I'd think they'd want an Asian carrier, but how likely?...

hispanola

Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:28 pm

I think you're on to something with KLM, but Saudia and ANA seem unlikely. (Neither of them serve MIA, which would usually be the first choice)

Perhaps along with KLM, Iberia would be the other EU flag carrier interested. Air Berlin isn't doing well so they can't quite expand. Other than them, Jetairfly and XL Airways France could be interested in flying to Orlando.

I think Thomson is already there. So now I'm out of ideas :) .
✈️

Humberside

Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:05 pm

hispanola wrote:
Other than them, Jetairfly and XL Airways France could be interested in flying to Orlando.

I think Thomson is already there. So now I'm out of ideas :) .

Thomson, and Jetairfly, currently serve SFB
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

727LOVER
Topic Author

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:03 pm

I listed Saudia because they used to serve MCO with a one-stop at JFK.

9/11 killed the route
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

flymco753

Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:05 pm

I know that there isn't a doubt that JetBlue will likely add service to Detroit as well as a return from Southwest. I fly to Detroit VERY often and personally think that this market has the potential to continue growing, people are choosing YYZ and CLE over DTW and I refuse to use any other airport as do many others especially ones that have a hard time getting around.

I can't really see an international carrier that'd be coming to MCO at the moment other than the ones we do have. It's an unpredictable market, Emirates was a huge surprise.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

CITRUS737ROC

Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:15 pm

KLM announced seasonal service to MIA again, so they may not want to come up to MCO anytime soon, but you never know. When I worked in MCO, the one airline that I kept hearing from MCO big wigs was Turkish Airlines, as well as Asia and any middle east airline that exist. At one time 2 years ago, they almost had a Chinese airline start up from out of the blue. Should be interesting to see who they can convince to come to town for sure!

Cheers!
Brian

BDL757

Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:45 pm

The rumor around the MCO base is that we (DL) will start flying MCO-AMS. I've heard this for a year or two so I'm not sure if there's any substance to it. The newest one I heard the other day is that we will take over one of the VS flights to the UK, which seems a little far fetched. Again these are all rumors! :D

LAX772LR

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:06 pm

BDL757 wrote:
The newest one I heard the other day is that we will take over one of the VS flights to the UK, which seems a little far fetched.

Which would mean either re-entering LGW, or launching MCO-LHR.... neither of which seem likely at all.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

KTPAFlyer

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:42 pm

Another possibility is that VS swaps a 787 for the current LGW based 744. If this were to happen, it would line up with a possible Gatwick-Heathrow slot switch as all 787's are LHR based. And there is no question that VS knows the value of such a flight. Many on here will argue that LGW is for leisure only which is true, but adding the first LHR flight would give VS a complete monopoly on all Heathrow traffic/connections. As a local, I can tell you the number one complaint people have here is why there isn't a Heathrow flight because it would be great for connections.

As for what I wish (yes I know that this is not about MCO) is that Etihad launches service to TPA. Seeing that EK has MCO and QR has MIA, this would be a great way to balance out this side of the Florida coast :)

MaxTrimm

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:57 pm

I can potentially see someone like VivaAerobus start up some route from one (or a few) cities in Mexico.

MIflyer12

Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:24 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I know that there isn't a doubt that JetBlue will likely add service to Detroit as well as a return from Southwest. I fly to Detroit VERY often and personally think that this market has the potential to continue growing, people are choosing YYZ and CLE over DTW and I refuse to use any other airport as do many others especially ones that have a hard time getting around.

I can't really see an international carrier that'd be coming to MCO at the moment other than the ones we do have. It's an unpredictable market, Emirates was a huge surprise.

YYZ-MCO vs. DTW-MCO? With both U.S. and Canadian immigration and customs fees to pay vs. driving across the border (nearly free even if counting a bridge toll) and flying from DTW? That seems really unlikely, as does B6 in the market. Frontier and Spirit on non-stops mean DTW-MCO prices can be very low. (There are $117 r/t fares found by ITA Matrix in August.) Maybe there's room for Southwest. There isn't room for five carriers DTW-MCO.

flymco753

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:34 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

YYZ-MCO vs. DTW-MCO? With both U.S. and Canadian immigration and customs fees to pay vs. driving across the border (nearly free even if counting a bridge toll) and flying from DTW? That seems really unlikely, as does B6 in the market. Frontier and Spirit on non-stops mean DTW-MCO prices can be very low. (There are $117 r/t fares found by ITA Matrix in August.) Maybe there's room for Southwest. There isn't room for five carriers DTW-MCO.

If we can choose between southwest and JetBlue, personally I would choose B6, they can hold on to the market whereas Southwest runs into the issue of bags flying free where none of the other carriers allow that, but of course I'm thinking irrationally so I'd like to think one day we'd see B6 begin mco and southwest would come back.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

STT757

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:53 pm

I saw yesterday on MCO's Twitter feed that they were meeting with ANA. I think they're a strong possibility for the first Asian carrier with service to Florida.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

KTPAFlyer

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:19 pm

I can't find the tweet, can somebody link it?

KTPAFlyer

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:33 pm

STT757 wrote:
I saw yesterday on MCO's Twitter feed that they were meeting with ANA. I think they're a strong possibility for the first Asian carrier with service to Florida.

Found the tweet, yeah, this basically conforms a Tokyo-Miami route for ANA, he wasn't kidding, looks legit. Well, looks like A.net can finally put an end to the missing Asia flight. :D

https://twitter.com/emiliotgonzalez/sta ... 5954382848

https://twitter.com/iflymia/status/747577385210511360

usflyer123

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:01 pm

i really dont think that an MCO-far east flight would work...
there arent big buisness relations between orlando and asia and tourist pax dont worth flying such a long flight when there are no large buisness&first class pax.
although i think MIA might work!
probably if flights will be added it would be to cities in EU and south and central america.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

dabpit

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:31 pm

There is a strong possibility of Norwegian launching flights from MCO to ARN and CDG.
Some other possibilities:
Volaris to TIJ
KLM to AMS
VivaColombia to BOG
Frontier to PHX, MIA, COS, MEM, and SAT
Westjet to make YVR and YUL year round
Carpe Diem

flymco753

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:40 pm

BDL757 wrote:
The rumor around the MCO base is that we (DL) will start flying MCO-AMS. I've heard this for a year or two so I'm not sure if there's any substance to it. The newest one I heard the other day is that we will take over one of the VS flights to the UK, which seems a little far fetched. Again these are all rumors! :D

AMS to MCO on DL could work. I think GRU was the first step to adding a footprint on DL's new focus in MCO. Also with the spike in DTW passengers (we all know those flights are the heaviest to DTW with 60 strollers/car seats/wheel chairs/walkers and 250 bags on a -200), we could see maybe a capacity or frequency increase here soon.

dabpit

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm

flymco753 wrote:
BDL757 wrote:
The rumor around the MCO base is that we (DL) will start flying MCO-AMS. I've heard this for a year or two so I'm not sure if there's any substance to it. The newest one I heard the other day is that we will take over one of the VS flights to the UK, which seems a little far fetched. Again these are all rumors!

AMS to MCO on DL could work. I think GRU was the first step to adding a footprint on DL's new focus in MCO. Also with the spike in DTW passengers (we all know those flights are the heaviest to DTW with 60 strollers/car seats/wheel chairs/walkers and 250 bags on a -200), we could see maybe a capacity or frequency increase here soon.
RE: WHAT AIRLINES IS MCO TALKING TO?

Wouldn't be surprised if DL added flights to AMS or CDG. When the Brazilian economy recovers it would be nice to see them add GIG.
Carpe Diem

KTPAFlyer

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:51 pm

MCO-AMS would be the first DL intercontinental route out of MCO, so adding it would probably move MCO from a focus city status, to a an official hub, *maybe kind of like SEA on this side, to compete with AA at MIA, but probably more like PDX instead. There was also an AF flight to CDG few years ago, wonder if that might be added to?

flymco753

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:06 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
There was also an AF flight to CDG few years ago, wonder if that might be added to?

I think if DL has CDG than they would rather there be just one flight with the partners, it could be on a 767-300 or even a 757-200 to start out with.

KTPAFlyer

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:19 pm

flymco753 wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:
There was also an AF flight to CDG few years ago, wonder if that might be added to?

I think if DL has CDG than they would rather there be just one flight with the partners, it could be on a 767-300 or even a 757-200 to start out with.

Air France operated it with a 77W, I think a DL 77L to CDG would do fine, especially considering that it would get catchment from TPA and all of central florida as well, MCO would be only airport in the state other than MIA to have it.

Photo: Anthony Dolce

flymco753

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:24 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:

Air France operated it with a 77W, I think a DL 77L to CDG would do fine, especially considering that it would get catchment from TPA and all of central florida as well, MCO would be only airport in the state other than MIA to have it.

Photo: Anthony Dolce

Yep I fondly remember those days, aircraft types can be unpredictable but we sure know that the route is a possibility. Either way it'd be exciting to see that come back or AMS like you said with catchment from TPA and MLB and DAB areas.

KTPAFlyer

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:41 pm

Current service from TPA, MCO, or SFB (MIA is too far). Here's what's between the three:

Tampa Int'l

BA to Gatwick
LH to Frankfurt
Edelweiss to Zurich

Orlando MCO

BA to Gatwick
DY to Gatwick
VS to Gatwick
VS to Manchester
VS to Glasgow
LH to Frankfurt
EK to Dubai

Orlando SFB

Thomson to Gatwick

This leaves the following possible combinations:

MCO-LHR (A BA/VS upgrade)
TPA-LHR (BA reciprocal if VS upgrades first)
MCO-AMS (DL feed)
MCO-CDG (same as AMS)
TPA-AUH (compete with EK)

dabpit

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:45 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:

MCO-AMS (DL feed)
MCO-CDG (same as AMS)

I would put my money on DL MCO-AMS/CDG

As for MCO-CDG there is a strong chance of DY adding that route once a week.

Both BA and VS do well from LGW so doubtful they will use a LHR slot for a heavy leisure destination like MCO.
Carpe Diem

usflyer123

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:58 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
Current service from TPA, MCO, or SFB (MIA is too far). Here's what's between the three:

Tampa Int'l

BA to Gatwick
LH to Frankfurt
Edelweiss to Zurich

Orlando MCO

BA to Gatwick
DY to Gatwick
VS to Gatwick
VS to Manchester
VS to Glasgow
LH to Frankfurt
EK to Dubai

Orlando SFB

Thomson to Gatwick

MCO-AMS (DL feed)
MCO-CDG (same as AMS)

EY will never fly that route, there isnt enough capacity for both flights(DXB and AUH) from MCO to compete like they do in SFO,LAX and JFK.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

fsafsx

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:09 pm

I don't get what people's obsession is with Detroit in Orlando, that's all you hear, Detroit this oversold that JetBlue and Southwest should fly this route . . . how about Flint? We want JetBlue Frontier and Spirit to fly to Orlando so we can bypass that rat race called Detroit. It makes no sense for JetBlue to start Detroit service to Orlando nor does it make any sense whatsoever to bring Southwest back.

fsafsx

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:15 pm

flymco753 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

If we can choose between southwest and JetBlue, personally I would choose B6, they can hold on to the market whereas Southwest runs into the issue of bags flying free where none of the other carriers allow that, but of course I'm thinking irrationally so I'd like to think one day we'd see B6 begin mco and southwest would come back.

There is no reason to upgrade current flights, bring back Southwest or begin JetBlue. Detroit doesn't need to be the center of the universe, I think Flint will hold these services totally fine. FNT-MCO on B6, NK, and F9 seems way more logical.

flymco753

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:24 pm

dabpit wrote:
I would put my money on DL MCO-AMS/CDG

This would definitely step up Delta's international footprint at MCO, there's plenty of connection opportunities for Europe at AMS and CDG.

flymco753

Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:29 pm

fsafsx wrote:
I don't get what people's obsession is with Detroit in Orlando, that's all you hear, Detroit this oversold that JetBlue and Southwest should fly this route . . . how about Flint? We want JetBlue Frontier and Spirit to fly to Orlando so we can bypass that rat race called Detroit. It makes no sense for JetBlue to start Detroit service to Orlando nor does it make any sense whatsoever to bring Southwest back.

Woah buddy, ask any resident which airport they prefer to fly in. FNT is a peripheral market, JetBlue is already in Detroit and would be pointless to jump right into FNT and skip DTW for the Orlando route. The Allegiant route is doing fine and you know there's still seasonal nonstops on Southwest. It wouldn't effect FNT's market if DTW got WN back to MCO.

fsafsx

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:32 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Woah buddy, ask any resident which airport they prefer to fly in. FNT is a peripheral market, JetBlue is already in Detroit and would be pointless to jump right into FNT and skip DTW for the Orlando route. The Allegiant route is doing fine and you know there's still seasonal nonstops on Southwest. It wouldn't effect FNT's market if DTW got WN back to MCO.

Well Detroit has enough service to Orlando. Flint's service has been cut so it makes a lot more sense to add Flint. Delta could add Regional Jet service to Orlando from Flint. Frontier Spirit and JetBlue make total sense and I don't want to fly to Sanford it's very inconvenient.

flymco753

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:51 pm

fsafsx wrote:
Well Detroit has enough service to Orlando. Flint's service has been cut so it makes a lot more sense to add Flint. Delta could add Regional Jet service to Orlando from Flint. Frontier Spirit and JetBlue make total sense and I don't want to fly to Sanford it's very inconvenient.

No no no, there is never enough service somewhere. Right now, the passenger numbers between MCO and DTW are rising and that means oversell situations. Trust me, I've been to both stations and know how full these flights are. From a passenger standpoint, yes I would want another couple flights so I can prevent myself from flying in an MD-88 and worry about not getting on because it's so full (maybe you should check out how many local passengers use this thing called Basic Economy). Regardless, Spirit has been carrying a lot of weight on their shoulders, and from a passenger standpoint I'd rather have 4 or 5 airlines to choose from on a route like this. It's not ATL heavy but with no exaggeration A LOT of locals from both Detroit and Orlando areas are praying for a JetBlue flight or Southwest return.

jasoncrh

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:50 pm

MCO-AMS would NOT be the first DL intercontinental flight out of MCO.

Until the mid 1990s or so, DL had a fairly decent size hub at MCO and they had nonstop service to FRA from MCO for many many years. Ended late 1990s I think. In addition, they served ORY (Paris - Orly) briefly in 1992/1993 or so.

So no, this would not be the first DL intercontinental flight from MCO.

KTPAFlyer wrote:
MCO-AMS would be the first DL intercontinental route out of MCO, so adding it would probably move MCO from a focus city status, to a an official hub, *maybe kind of like SEA on this side, to compete with AA at MIA, but probably more like PDX instead. There was also an AF flight to CDG few years ago, wonder if that might be added to?

dabpit

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:20 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
MCO-AMS would NOT be the first DL intercontinental flight out of MCO.

Until the mid 1990s or so, DL had a fairly decent size hub at MCO and they had nonstop service to FRA from MCO for many many years. Ended late 1990s I think. In addition, they served ORY (Paris - Orly) briefly in 1992/1993 or so.

So no, this would not be the first DL intercontinental flight from MCO.

KTPAFlyer wrote:

DL currently flies MCO-GRU so they have a current intercontinental route at the moment.
Carpe Diem

Rage

Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:24 pm

CUBANA :D

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos