Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Condor Austin Inaugural 27 June 2016

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:10 am

Congrats to Austin on this one, looks like Condor is the second international route out of AUS to FRA after BA 787 service launched back in March 2014, bringing Int'l service on par with most mid size US airports. No doubt that the newly upgraded customs facility will now be worth it for AUS, the question now is when will EK launch daily A380 service 8-)

Press release:

Today, the leisure airline Condor celebrated its first flight from Frankfurt (FRA) to Austin, Texas (AUS). This southern state metropolis has been added as a new destination, departing from Frankfurt every Monday and Thursday in summer 2016. The Boeing 767 with flight number DE2082 departed Frankfurt Airport on-time at 2:25 p.m.

“We are very proud to add Austin to Condor’s longhaul flight schedule as the 16th destination in North America and first in Texas, and are happy to offer another attractive travel destination,” said Jens Boyd, Director of Long Haul & Revenue Management at Condor & Thomas Cook Airlines. “The demand for flights to the USA is increasing and we are already excited about next year’s new destinations: San Diego and New Orleans.

“I am pleased to welcome Condor to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport with a new nonstop to Frankfurt, Germany. Austin is a magical and ever-more international city, and this flight provides new access for Austinites, as well as those who want to visit us,” said Austin Mayor Steve Adler.

“The people of Austin themselves love to travel. And we are glad that we are able to offer them a new and inexpensive direct connection to Germany as well as a variety of exciting travel destinations in Europe through our attractive airline partnerships,” commented Jens Boyd, on Condor’s twice weekly direct flight to Frankfurt.

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Re: Condor Austin Inaugural 27 June 2016

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:42 am

Pics from the Inagural: Condor touches down in AUS

Ytraveller

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:01 am

Nice pics and a beautiful plane!

PMUA787

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:37 pm

Wonder when and who might start service across the other pond to NRT or PEK?

It is the tale of the two Texas for sure. AUS is connecting to the world and ELP can't even get n/s service to SFO or a NYC airport. All ELP manages to get is G4 and their bottom feeder shit show service to SAN, LAS, and MCO on an unreliable basis.

jasoncrh

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:01 pm

Not really a surprise. Austin is a booming, growing, diversifying city. El Paso is dangerous and shrinking economically.

FriscoHeavy

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:13 pm

PMUA787 wrote:

It is the tale of the two Texas for sure. AUS is connecting to the world and ELP can't even get n/s service to SFO or a NYC airport. All ELP manages to get is G4 and their bottom feeder shit show service to SAN, LAS, and MCO on an unreliable basis.

Well, no one in their right mind would want to go to El Paso. What a dump.
Whatever

LAX772LR

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:09 pm

PMUA787 wrote:

Probably no one.
Asia is not like western Europe: the market dynamics are significantly different.

No USA carrier has incentive to do it, and the Japanese carriers are wayyyyyyy too conservative for that. JL won't even do PHL nor MIA, and that's hub-hub service to metros several times larger (and far more powerful) than AUS. Same for PHX, which would also be hub-hub.

PEK is an even bigger crap-shoot, as established US-Asia markets (e.g. ATL, MSP, PDX, SAN, etc) haven't been able to get/sustain it. Heck, even DFW and IAH didn't get it, until a relative short time ago.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:15 pm

Funny you should mention Japanese carriers as conservative and not wanting MIA. Take a look in the "who's talking to MCO" thread and you'll find an interesting surprise lol

a380787

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:19 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
Funny you should mention Japanese carriers as conservative and not wanting MIA. Take a look in the "who's talking to MCO" thread and you'll find an interesting surprise lol

I wouldn't read too much into those. One random airline had a 10 min cisco telepresence chat with MCO/MIA airport authority then someone will extrapolate that all the way to declare that "service launch is imminent".

usflyer123

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:42 pm

thats an amazing route, sucks its only seasonal.
also i dont see any other international route from AUS to europe, maybe AMS but i really dont think so.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:51 pm

Japan launched service to San Diego and ANA to San Jose, I wouldn't call them that conservative, I mean, Pacific carriers i.e. (Eva-ORD, Hainan LAX) are ramping up service lately. That being said, aside from Korean at ATL , no Pacific carrier has any sort of real operation in the southeast, so ANA or any Asian carrier for that matter would be new ground at MIA. Anyway I think we should focus on AUS.

LAX772LR

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:13 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:

The only surprise there, is that you'd conflate "talking to" with "starting service."

KTPAFlyer wrote:
Japan launched service to San Diego and ANA to San Jose, I wouldn't call them that conservative

Well, that'd certainly be the difference between you and I.

SJC is the largest city in an 8million person metro, is home-base and worldwide headquarters to some of the most profitable companies in the planet, and had already proven that it could support TYO service for well over a decade.

SAN has an Asian population several times the size of AUS, business ties that go way further, and pulls from both the south of Orange and Riverside Counties, that would otherwise have an equivalent drive to LAX.

Nothing flagrant about launching either one.

KTPAFlyer wrote:
JI mean, Pacific carriers i.e. (Eva-ORD, Hainan LAX) are ramping up service lately.

You did not seriously just compare the draw of LAX and ORD, to the potential of AUS... did you? :?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SiouxFlyer

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:20 am

usflyer123 wrote:
also i dont see any other international route from AUS to europe, maybe AMS but i really dont think so.

AUS has LHR service with BA.

b747400erf

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:35 am

SiouxFlyer wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

I think they mean they do not see any other European carriers starting up an AUS route.

The budget in Texas is already seeing signs of strain. Soon all those tax breaks to bribe businesses will hurt the government and the state economy will have to find money from somewhere.

usflyer123

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:40 am

SiouxFlyer wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

sorry, i meant i dont see any other future routes* between AUS and europe.
maybe an asian route might work
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

PA12

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:38 pm

El Paso a dump? That's your opinión. Beautiful scenery everywhere, especially sunset. Dangerous? Really? Third safest large city in the U.S.
Stay in your beautiful and "safe " hometown, we don't need you.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos