Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RL757PVD
Topic Author

Allegiant adding EWR DEN and OGS

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:27 am

Three very interesting additions from G4 today! EWR DEN and OGS (Ogdensburg NY 45 min south of YOW)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/fl ... /86456734/
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

Max752

Re: Allegiant adding EWR DEN and OGS

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:39 am

Wow.....

EWR and DEN? That's so not Allegiant. I would've thought G4 would have tried to fly to Ft. Collins (for DEN) and like not EWR, LGA, JFK.

Really odd.
Super 80, pff, more like Stupid 80 | TravelUpdate.com & TheCollegePoints.com |

jfklganyc

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Surprised this thread hasn't gotten more play from the EWR fanboys.

I wonder whether they will use Terminal A or B

Mainland

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:26 pm

You don't need a passport to know what state you're in...

bomber996

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:50 pm

DEN-MTJ? That's it!? Can they really be successful with just this route from DEN? Where is LAS or SFB or IWA?!

Peace
"We've recently upped our standards, so up yours." - Federal Aviation Administration

STT757

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Excited by the new service to EWR since the relaxation of the slot restrictions was announced. G4 had announced at the time they were interested in EWR, and I'm happy they're making it more about NYC being the destination for small-mid sized city travelers than providing more flights to Orlando and Fort Lauderdale for NJ/NY'ers.

Hopefully NK and F9 will jump in on the action, again we don't need more Florida. Cities like IND, CMH, BNA, CLT, MSP, DFW, MCI, MKE etc..

As mentioned in one of the articles the ULCC's can look to add flights on the shoulders of the peak hours, later evenings, early mornings and mid-Days. USA 3000 used to operate from EWR's IAB Terminal B gates, those would do well for G4.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

nws2002

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:28 pm

BWI has been doing well, so EWR makes sense. Not sure why they want to get involved in DEN, but they are good at giving things a shot and leaving quickly if it doesn't work out.

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:32 pm

Some interesting adds here. VPS-LAS? ELP-OAK?

To/from Newark Liberty

- Asheville: Begins Nov. 17. Four weekly flights (Tuesday , Thursday, Saturday, Sunday)

- Cincinnati: Begins Nov. 16. Four weekly flights (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday)

- Knoxville: Begins Nov. 17. Three weekly flights (Tuesday, Thusday, Sunday)

- Savannah/Hilton Head: Begins Nov. 16. Three weekly flights (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)

To/from Ogdensburg, N.Y.

- Fort Lauderdale: Begins Oct. 7.Two weekly flights (Thursday and Sunday; Eventually shifts to Wednesday and Saturday)

- Orlando-Sanford: Begins Oct. 6. Two weekly flights (Wednesday and Saturday)

To/from Denver

- Montrose/Telluride, Colo.: Begins Dec. 14 and runs through March 25. Two weekly flights (Wednesday and Saturday)

To/from Punta Gorda, Fla.

- Concord/Charlotte, N.C. Begins Oct. 5. Three weekly flights (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)

To/from Los Angeles

- Albuquerque, N.M.: Begins Oct. 6. Two weekly flights (Thursday and Sunday)

To/from Oakland

- El Paso: Begins Oct. 6. Two weekly flights (Monday and Thursday)

To/from San Diego

- Provo, Utah: Sept. 28. Two weekly flights. (Thursday and Sunday)

To/from Las Vegas

- Destin/Fort Walton Beach, Fla.: Begins Oct. 7. Two weekly flights. (Monday and Friday)

cbphoto

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:33 pm

bomber996 wrote:
DEN-MTJ? That's it!? Can they really be successful with just this route from DEN? Where is LAS or SFB or IWA?!

Peace

The city has historically subsidized the service into MTJ during the winter months. Even if it's not subsidized, it will be an inside turn from either LAX or IWA, and I'm sure they will be just fine making DEN-MTJ work.

Max752 wrote:
Wow.....

EWR and DEN? That's so not Allegiant. I would've thought G4 would have tried to fly to Ft. Collins (for DEN) and like not EWR, LGA, JFK.

Really odd.

Allegiant will never go back to Ft Collins, unless a control tower is manned and installed. The amount of near misses they had with GA planes were astronomical apparently. This will make a nice, cheap get away possible for the Denver folks, without doing to drive through the mountains in winter!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

enilria

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:42 pm

cbphoto wrote:
bomber996 wrote:

Peace

The city has historically subsidized the service into MTJ during the winter months. Even if it's not subsidized, it will be an inside turn from either LAX or IWA, and I'm sure they will be just fine making DEN-MTJ work.

Max752 wrote:
Wow.....

Really odd.

Allegiant will never go back to Ft Collins, unless a control tower is manned and installed. The amount of near misses they had with GA planes were astronomical apparently. This will make a nice, cheap get away possible for the Denver folks, without doing to drive through the mountains in winter!

MTJ-DEN is really odd. Yes, they often do subsidies, but only when they connect to a network. DEN-MTJ on G4 is a dead end. They won't even interline your bags. I guess they will get some people who don't want to drive, but I suspect most of the "local" traffic is really double ticketed connects. Not sure this flight is going to attract those same people. Subsidy or not, I don't see it working for long. I think G4 can stay in DEN if F9 does not return to the non-daily markets in MT/SD/ND. Those worked well enough for G4 to take a stab in peak season.

nws2002

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:46 pm

cbphoto wrote:
it will be an inside turn from either LAX or IWA, and I'm sure they will be just fine making DEN-MTJ work.

Yup, G4 has a lot of inside turns lately. They are done that way to utilize aircraft and crews from bases that don't have enough flights on their own or like in this case to access new destinations.

G4 pays for gate and ticket counter space by the turn. Their ground handling contractors are used to opening a station for just a few flights per week and all employees at these outstations are cross utilized both above/below wing. You can turn a G4 flight with just 4 employees. Once the ticket counter closes those employees go to the ramp to load bags.

rajincajun01

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:09 pm

What is interesting about Denver-Montrose is UA already flies that route year-round.

Five different airlines already fly Denver-Phoenix so it's not surprising they didn't add that. Four airlines also fly to Las Vegas from DEN.
A319 A320 A321 A330 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 C172 C402 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 DH8 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 E170/175/190 L1011 MD80 MD90 SF340

knope2001

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:30 pm

"One of these things is not like the other..."

Obviously OGS is a gateway to Ottawa/Gatineau, but it's still amusing to see little ol' Ogdensburg in the company of Newark and Denver.

Seriously, however, Allegiant has a reputation for being ruthless on cost demands. Small airports will often bow to demands to gain service (that sounds so much more refined than "bend over") but larger popular airports like DEN and EWR don't need to play that game. I wonder how this squares?

Perhaps Allegiant isn't quite so strict on "destination" airports costs?

MIflyer12

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:46 pm

STT757 wrote:
Hopefully NK and F9 will jump in on the action, again we don't need more Florida. Cities like IND, CMH, BNA, CLT, MSP, DFW, MCI, MKE etc..

With the relative lack of frequency G4 is playing to tourist/VFR travelers, not business. Leisure markets from NYC, and origins to NYC for tourism, make more sense than some (2nd-tier?) business destinations. Among your suggested airports only CLT makes the top 10 in EWR domestic destinations.

flyoregon

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:06 pm

"Allegiant will never go back to Ft Collins, unless a control tower is manned and installed."

Wasn't Provo (PVU) tower closed or was that just circling around during that sequestration period?

I know everyone will say this is stupid, but I think Salem, Oregon (SLE) is a terrific candidate for Allegiant and please don't use the argument that Eugene (EUG) is just down the road and can serve the Salem passengers just fine because Ogden, Utah (OGD) is just up the road from PVU and they both have Allegiant.

I think SLE to OAK/LAX/LAS would do very well as it captures the southern Portland metro area very nicely and Salem is a growing city. The MD's wouldn't work into SLE, but the A319 would without any problems from my understanding.

piedmont762

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:40 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Surprised this thread hasn't gotten more play from the EWR fanboys.

I wonder whether they will use Terminal A or B

It's good on a route that's price controlled by UA & WN - the thing is I wouldn't feel safe flying them. I'm more of a DEN-JFK DL kind of guy anyway.

G4 on EWR-CVG is an interesting one. DL flies it 2-3x with CR9, probably very expensive. UA only flies ERJ and they're always chronically delayed. I would expect DL to retaliate in some way, maybe 717 service?

aviationjunky

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:43 pm

When I worked for G4 a few months back, we had begun a shift in marketing toward larger airports to get a larger customer base, which in turn would lead to larger profit. The first big move was CVG. The original plan was into DAY, but CVG offered more gates and times. They opened DAY anyway just last month. Anyways, they were looking at markets like SEA (they were looking to drop BLI even though its one of their largest profit markets), IAH/HOU (they hadn't decided on which to fly but I believe they were leaning toward HOU because it's cheaper), SLC (they were looking to drop both PVU and ODG if it offered more profit), RDD, ATL, BHM, BOS/PVD (PVD looked like it was going to be the winner only because it was cheaper), and the last one was JFK/LGA/EWR and it looks like they chose EWR. When I left LGA was the one they wanted most due to its proximity to the city, but I guess EWR was cheaper.

The plan was:

SEA-LAS
SEA-LAX
SEA-AZA
SEA-SAN
SEA-OAK
SEA-PSP
SEA-RNO

IAH/HOU-CVG
IAH/HOU-LAS
IAH/HOU-LAX
IAH/HOU-FLL
IAH/HOU-SFB
IAH/HOU-IND
IAH/HOU-AZA
IAH/HOU-SAN
IAH/HOU-PIE

SLC-OAK
SLC-LAS
SLC-LAX
SLC-SAN
SLC-AZA
SLC-MYS
SLC-AUS or IAH/HOU (depending on if IAH/HOU happened or not)

RDD-LAS
RDD-LAX
RDD-SAN
RDD-AZA

ATL-CVG or DAY
ATL-BWI
ATL-PIT
ATL-IND
ATL-SHV
ATL-AUS or IAH/HOU (depending on if IAH/HOU happened or not)
ATL-AZA

BHM-CVG
BHM-PIE
BHM-FLL
BHM-AZA
BHM-LAS

BOS/PVD-PIE
BOS/PVD-SFB
BOS/PVD-VPS
BOS/PVD-AVL
BOS/PVD-SAV (seasonal)
BOS/PVD-MYR (seasonal)

Like I said, these were just some tests that they threw at us employees to see if we thought they could potentially make a larger profit. I'm not sure if they were serious about all the routes given, but they did follow through with EWR which is cool. That was voted #2 on the poll, the first was IAH/HOU. Maybe they will move into Houston early next year?

The other one that surprised me was adding RDD to the poll. They said it was close enough to CSU, Chico that it could be a high profit area around spring break, winter break, and school ending and beginning. They really do look at all the factors before they just throw planes at an airport, which is nice.
LAS is Life

717atOGG

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:01 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
When I worked for G4 a few months back, we had begun a shift in marketing toward larger airports to get a larger customer base, which in turn would lead to larger profit. The first big move was CVG. The original plan was into DAY, but CVG offered more gates and times. They opened DAY anyway just last month. Anyways, they were looking at markets like SEA (they were looking to drop BLI even though its one of their largest profit markets), IAH/HOU (they hadn't decided on which to fly but I believe they were leaning toward HOU because it's cheaper), SLC (they were looking to drop both PVU and ODG if it offered more profit), RDD, ATL, BHM, BOS/PVD (PVD looked like it was going to be the winner only because it was cheaper), and the last one was JFK/LGA/EWR and it looks like they chose EWR. When I left LGA was the one they wanted most due to its proximity to the city, but I guess EWR was cheaper.

The plan was:

SEA-LAS
SEA-LAX
SEA-AZA
SEA-SAN
SEA-OAK
SEA-PSP
SEA-RNO

IAH/HOU-CVG
IAH/HOU-LAS
IAH/HOU-LAX
IAH/HOU-FLL
IAH/HOU-SFB
IAH/HOU-IND
IAH/HOU-AZA
IAH/HOU-SAN
IAH/HOU-PIE

SLC-OAK
SLC-LAS
SLC-LAX
SLC-SAN
SLC-AZA
SLC-MYS
SLC-AUS or IAH/HOU (depending on if IAH/HOU happened or not)

RDD-LAS
RDD-LAX
RDD-SAN
RDD-AZA

ATL-CVG or DAY
ATL-BWI
ATL-PIT
ATL-IND
ATL-SHV
ATL-AUS or IAH/HOU (depending on if IAH/HOU happened or not)
ATL-AZA

BHM-CVG
BHM-PIE
BHM-FLL
BHM-AZA
BHM-LAS

BOS/PVD-PIE
BOS/PVD-SFB
BOS/PVD-VPS
BOS/PVD-AVL
BOS/PVD-SAV (seasonal)
BOS/PVD-MYR (seasonal)

Like I said, these were just some tests that they threw at us employees to see if we thought they could potentially make a larger profit. I'm not sure if they were serious about all the routes given, but they did follow through with EWR which is cool. That was voted #2 on the poll, the first was IAH/HOU. Maybe they will move into Houston early next year?

The other one that surprised me was adding RDD to the poll. They said it was close enough to CSU, Chico that it could be a high profit area around spring break, winter break, and school ending and beginning. They really do look at all the factors before they just throw planes at an airport, which is nice.

Hmm... It would be nice to have some lower fares in SEA. For example, for SEA-LAS on G4, DL, AS, or NK on Oct. 17-22 for 1 adult G4 out of BLI is $130, DL in Basic Economy is $186.20, AS is $146.20, and NK is $116.18. Their real competition would be NK. But G4's flights probably wouldn't be daily. It's unlikely for the near future, but I can dream... :)
A320/321, A332, 712, 73G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, E145, E175, CR9

klm617

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:17 pm

Any chance of Allegiant adding Detroit ?
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

CIDFlyer

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:55 pm

wowsers, good job G4. Just the other day I was wondering when they would open up the NYC area. This could be the start of something there. I could see this growing in the future ala LAX.

LAS-VPS, this should be a good add, keeps the VPS base open year round and the only LAS flight for the region, should do nicely.

DEN is interesting, will have to see how that pans out. F9 does well with some non dailies to smaller markets, there could be some other smaller markets F9 isnt willing to go in that they can exploit.

Wonder if this is a preemptive strike against NK, they have been rumored to be looking into smaller aircraft to go into smaller markets.

CIDFlyer

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:02 pm

also Just noticed VPS to BLV & CVG are extended through January. I would anticipate these to become year round routes at some point, they must be doing good there and this area sees a good amount of spring breakers in March.

RL757PVD
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:12 pm

G4 would also be an interesting option for PVD To RDU and CVG both of which used to be served multiple times daily
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

aviationjunky

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:17 pm

klm617 wrote:

It's a possibility. It's relatively close to Flint and Toledo, by only about an hour in either direction. But that wont stop G4 from flying there too. Look at CVG and DAY, EVV and OWB, GJT and MTJ, PBG and BTV, FLL and PBI. The list is endless.

They fly out of towns that pretty much touch each other just in case of a significant delay or cancellation, the passengers can choose to fly out of the neighboring city the next day or whatever their options are.
LAS is Life

enilria

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:57 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
When I worked for G4 a few months back, we had begun a shift in marketing toward larger airports to get a larger customer base, which in turn would lead to larger profit.

1) Steal Underwear
2) ?
3) Profit

BTW, I'd not think it is not a good idea to mention real future plans as it might get you in Las Vegas temperature water.

a380787

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:03 pm

This is a completely non-event for EWR. 4 routes to middle of nowhere, each of which less than daily by an airline with numerous infractions and half a step from being grounded ? zzzzzzzz

B6's EWR-Florida expansion was far more useful for passengers than these.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Allegiant is VERY good at route planning. If something doesnt work they will just pull out. They take risks

EWR makes total sense get into the NYC area market

DEN-MTJ makes total sense to me also. It can serve a regional market and fares are SKY HIGH. Its far enough that driving is really a drag. Lots of people will be thrilled to have this link. Untied last minute fares are unrealistic for non-business travelers.

jimbo737

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:50 pm

OGS is more like 75 mins from Ottawa, assuming no issues at the border.

With current exchange rates, the myriad of add-ons and Sanford, vs MCO, I doubt this will do particularly well for ValuJet 2.0.

CIDFlyer

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:18 pm

a380787 wrote:
This is a completely non-event for EWR. 4 routes to middle of nowhere, each of which less than daily by an airline with numerous infractions and half a step from being grounded ? zzzzzzzz

B6's EWR-Florida expansion was far more useful for passengers than these.

Except it is big for the outlying cities that get EWR service, their service is mainly aimed at spokes into vacation destinations, larger cities. While they have had recent troubles I thought I had heard they had reached some agreement with their pilots and they are getting rid of the MD80 fleet which sees most of the issues.

a380787

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:23 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
Except it is big for the outlying cities that get EWR service, their service is mainly aimed at spokes into vacation destinations, larger cities. While they have had recent troubles I thought I had heard they had reached some agreement with their pilots and they are getting rid of the MD80 fleet which sees most of the issues.

Maybe for things like Asheville (which is a 2nd or 3rd tier ski resort on its own), but CVG definitely has no lack of NYC service. Just among the US3, there's 4x daily AA, 6x daily UA, and a whopping 11x daily DL. 9 out of those 21 frequencies are bound for EWR, 9 for LGA, and finally 3 for JFK.

usflyer123

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:30 pm

im glad about their EWR operations, its nice to finnaly see a low cost carrier competing on the US3 regional routes
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

jco613

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:36 pm

klm617 wrote:

Is that terminal in DET still open and are they still looking for service? I figure their Airbi should be able to handle the short runway well and 3 gates could make it a focus city, no?

FATFlyer

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:10 pm

In the Q1 2016 Conference Call,
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-tr ... 28257.html
COO Jude Bricker was asked about adding EWR and said:
"It's in the cards. We're studying it. I think the model that we have in BWI where we are flying noncompetitive markets with the theory that would include both originating traffic out, in the case of BWI, the Baltimore-Washington area, and also providing leisure opportunities for inbound traffic. That's basically what we're testing that would also be applicable to Newark. I think, Importantly, we're not really interested in flying New York area to Florida. But, yes, I think you're on the right track there."

Allegiant considered the New York area as a future destination going back as far as 2008. This management presentation slide from November 2008 showed New York along with others as future growth areas.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... 05i008.gif

Additionally, in that Q1 Conference Call Jude Bricker said:
"On the growth question, I would basically just look at Cincinnati as an example of where we can take growth over the next several years. Today we have 14 destination markets served out of Cincinnati. We continue to expand that with our relationship with Apple and growth into other markets. I think internationally we could certainly look at that, as well. So, if you take Cincinnati network and put that into a bunch of other mid-sized cities into which we're building a presence today, that's the growth thesis for Allegiant for the next several years."
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

aviationjunky

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:29 pm

enilria wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:
When I worked for G4 a few months back, we had begun a shift in marketing toward larger airports to get a larger customer base, which in turn would lead to larger profit.

1) Steal Underwear
2) ?
3) Profit

BTW, I'd not think it is not a good idea to mention real future plans as it might get you in Las Vegas temperature water.

I'm not sure I understand? You double negatived yourself so I'm not sure what you mean...
LAS is Life

MaksFly

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:52 am

aviationjunky wrote:
enilria wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:

1) Steal Underwear
2) ?
3) Profit

I'm not sure I understand? You double negatived yourself so I'm not sure what you mean...

Let me help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts

stlgph

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:12 am

a380787 wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:

Maybe for things like Asheville (which is a 2nd or 3rd tier ski resort on its own), but CVG definitely has no lack of NYC service. Just among the US3, there's 4x daily AA, 6x daily UA, and a whopping 11x daily DL. 9 out of those 21 frequencies are bound for EWR, 9 for LGA, and finally 3 for JFK.

Cincinnati to New York airfares are high priced thanks to the business traffic.

The add by Allegiant for the leisure market at CVG, and the others added with the expansion is insanely brilliant.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

a380787

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:42 am

stlgph wrote:

The add by Allegiant for the leisure market at CVG, and the others added with the expansion is insanely brilliant.

If you search early enough I can find $221 CVG-NYC roundtrip (up to 1 stop), which isn't that bad for leisure travel at all.

At the same time, this is G4 we're talking, not WN or B6. Call me an irrational skeptic but based on what I've read on this forum about G4's infractions, I'd prefer to pay a premium and steer clear of them until they can get their act together.

If this were WN, then I'd very much agree with your premise.

bjorn14

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:01 pm

I am bit surprised G4 chose EWR over ISP given what a messs Newark can be sometimes.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

rajincajun01

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:47 pm

bjorn14 wrote:
I am bit surprised G4 chose EWR over ISP given what a messs Newark can be sometimes.

Allegiant is used to handling delays. Only thing new is that now they will add ATC delays to the fold.
A319 A320 A321 A330 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 C172 C402 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 DH8 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 E170/175/190 L1011 MD80 MD90 SF340

phluser

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:02 pm

a380787 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

If you search early enough I can find $221 CVG-NYC roundtrip (up to 1 stop), which isn't that bad for leisure travel at all.

Not only that, but United has weekly specials $168 r/t on CVG-EWR or EWR-CVG but it's not always available every weekend. But when it is available, it can be a good option. And sometimes it's available from CMH or another Ohio airport, which might be doable for some. It's nonstop, but requires a Monday or Tuesday return and not Sunday.

Still NYC for leisure from Allegiant is weird. NYC hotels/vacation is expensive and I think it's paradoxical for someone in the midwest to fly the worst carrier out there to save a few bucks to spend $$$ on hotels in NYC for a leisure in NYC trip. If I was giving advice to someone from the Midwest on that, it's just better to enjoy a city experience in Chicago, if NYC is desired still driving might be better for a group of 3 or more. There's more flexibility if the weather sucks to move the city vacation one week later or so.

If it's intended for the NY market, I would have thought Allegiant would try EWR-SFB if they are going into EWR in such a limited way.

stlgph

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Of course you'll find some cheap fares in there to NYC from Cincinnati, but for the most part, not really.
This is why such carriers are flourishing at Cincinnati.
Do your research, keep up on the history.
Allegiant's Newark markets are a smart, smart move on their part. It will be interesting to see how their vacation packages price out or what hotels they will offer.

And yes, NYC is a huge leisure market. I mean, *hello*. It's New York. People go to New York because it *IS* New York. Telling them to go to Chicago so they can experience New York?
Uh....wow.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

PMUA787

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:22 pm

I was watching the local FOX TV station in ELP yesterday evening and in the coming up next after the commercial break teaser they mention " new service to the Bay Area and show footage of the UA ticket counter at ELP and I get hopeful that UA has decided to start ELP-SFO service and when the story comes the dissapointment comes when it is the above mentioned G4 service 2x weekly service to OAK. Then they show the press conference with the car salesman mayor of El Paso Oscar Leeser touting the new service and how good it will be for business travelers! The typical ignorance of a local politican.

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:25 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
bjorn14 wrote:

Allegiant is used to handling delays. Only thing new is that now they will add ATC delays to the fold.

They tried ISP a couple years ago. Granted they did PGD (a winter-centric market) in the summer, with a horrible schedule, but they tried.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Q

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:33 am

I checked with wikipedia that Odgensburg, NY has around 11,500 population. How they get fill the seat two times a week? I doubt that G4 will make it for a long time. It just like Salibury, MD pulled out because the town is too small.

Q

FATFlyer

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:47 am

Q wrote:
I checked with wikipedia that Odgensburg, NY has around 11,500 population. How they get fill the seat two times a week? I doubt that G4 will make it for a long time. It just like Salibury, MD pulled out because the town is too small.

Q

This is another cross-border type operation for G4. Ottawa is only 1 hour north of OGS.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

dz09

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:07 am

I wish they had gone for ewr-gsp instead of Asheville. there is a very good market there and United is basically the only game in town with their extremely high fares in that route.

aviationjunky

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:08 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
bjorn14 wrote:

Oh, believe me, ATC delays are used now. They blame the airport and ATC usually if the delay is about a hour or under. Unless they have an actual excuse.
LAS is Life

aviationjunky

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:16 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
OGS is more like 75 mins from Ottawa, assuming no issues at the border.

With current exchange rates, the myriad of add-ons and Sanford, vs MCO, I doubt this will do particularly well for ValuJet 2.0.

PBG is used as a window into Montreal, and it was one of the most profitable routes G4 was flying when I left. G4's whole business model is "people are willing to travel a little to save money." OGS will be flooded with passengers from Ottawa looking to fly to Florida. Disneyland is a big seller that G4 uses as a selling point, even though they don't sell tickets to Disney.
LAS is Life

STT757

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:26 pm

Ogdensburg is about an hour from Fort Drum, home of the Army's 10th Mountain Division. Probably around 13,000 soldiers plus their dependents and civilian workforce.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

nws2002

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:28 pm

dz09 wrote:
I wish they had gone for ewr-gsp instead of Asheville. there is a very good market there and United is basically the only game in town with their extremely high fares in that route.

AVL is a base with crews and aircraft, GSP is not. They could run GSP-EWR as an inside turn though, with the aircraft starting the day in one of the Florida bases.

AVLAirlineFreq

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:58 pm

dz09 wrote:

Although DL does fly to LGA from GSP. And AVL is just a little over an hour's drive from GSP.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos